One more Venice Hotel question (air conditioning)

CCJack

I have already posted and got great advice on our pre cruise 3 day stay in Venice.. Specifically I am wondering if anyone can comment on the A/C at the Al Ponte Mocenigo or the Papadopoli (Sofitel) - or any other hotel for that matter.. Unfortunately we are traveling one of the hottest weeks of the year (we had no choice in this). I am fine walking through the heat during the day, as long as I can sleep in comfort. My experience traveling in Europe is "Air Conditioning" and "Europe" rarely belong in the same sentence - or someone is lying !

Most three star or higher hotels will be air conditioned but you need to adjust your expectations to European air conditioning. They cool just enough to offset oppressive heat, but not to the meat locker conditions that many Americans are accustomed to.

Every hotel I stayed at did have A/C. The Hotel San Marco, the Metropole, the Bauer, the Hotel Antiche Figure, the Santa Chiara, the Sofitel, etc. If you are concerned call the hotel directly if it isn't one of those.

I was in Italy once and there was a power outage because of heat but we still had A/C. So it would be rare that it is broken. July and August are very hot there.

• 3 weeks later...
Most three star or higher hotels will be air conditioned but you need to adjust your expectations to European air conditioning. They cool just enough to offset oppressive heat, but not to the meat locker conditions that many Americans are accustomed to.

Many European hotels require that you insert your key card in a slot that activates both the lights and the air conditioning in the hotel room. If you find that your hotel works that way, don't plan on returning from a hot day's worth of sightseeing into a fully cooled room.

Typically, you'll feel relief from the air conditioner breeze quickly. The alternative is to return to your room, insert the key card, and take a second key card with you while you recover in a cool public space for 10 minutes before going back to the room to stay.

Many European hotels require that you insert your key card in a slot that activates both the lights and the air conditioning in the hotel room. If you find that your hotel works that way, don't plan on returning from a hot day's worth of sightseeing into a fully cooled room.

I realize I left out one important detail: If you receive two key cards and you try to beat the system by leaving one keycard in the slot while you're away touring, the maid will remove your key card and you'll be no better off compared to removing the keycard yourself somewhat earlier.

In my experience, hotels usually turn on the air conditioning in early summer, but will often just not have it available to turn on in the spring etc. If this was a huge issue for me, I would email the hotel just to have peace of mind.

Archived