Review of FOS May 8, 2011 sail date

This was our 2nd sailing on the Freedom of the Seas. We did the western route last year. We arrived at Port Canaveral early and with the exception of the elite cruisers, we were on board by about 11:30 and went straight to our favorite lounge, Boleros. Unfortunately the bartenders from last year were not on this cruise (we figured they wouldn't be). We were able to get to our stateroom by about 1 pm and after dumping off our carry on items, we ventured to the Windjammer Cafe for a light lunch and headed out on deck.

This cruise was more of a relaxation cruise for us. We didn't plan or pre-book any excursions. In fact, the only thing I did (my hubby did not) was go parasailing at Coco Cay with our friend, Jay. In chatting with his Mom (the week before the cruise) she mentioned how excited he was getting about going on his first cruise. Ironically, we were on the same cruise!! Jay's wife (Chrissy) is pregnant and couldn't do the parasailing so he and I went. It was thrilling .. and certainly much safer than when I went parasailing many years back while in Freeport. Our entire day at Coco Cay was relaxing and the bbq was perfect for a beach day.

It was almost a blessing we had overcast skies in St. Thomas because the entire island didn't have electricity so most of the stores didn't have air conditioning (except those with generators). Even though I've lived most of my adult life in Florida (high heat and extreme humidity) - I love my air conditioning. We shopped in the many stores and enjoyed lunch at an outdoor cafe.

St. Maarten definitely is the typical "beach" town and sort of reminded me of Daytona Beach many years back. All the beachfront stores, music at the Blue Bitch Bar and getting right off our beach chairs and dipping into the ocean. I certainly miss the ocean (I now live in SC, about 5 hours from the nearest beach).

What I loved the most were the "at sea" days. I didn't have to be up at any certain time, had plenty to do, or could just sit in a lounge chair and listen to music. This time the hubby did not partake in the FlowRider but our friend, Deb, did make her attempt at the rock climbing wall .. something she wanted to do in celebration of her 50th !!

We had great meals, met some wonderful new friends on the RCCL discussions page and spent time with them, and truly enjoyed the Freedom again. We look forward to our next cruise .. to Canada/New England, one place I've always wanted to go, then returning to the Freedom for more sun and fun.

Archived