Extreme Cruise Ships - Oasis of the Seas - Planet Green Channel

• 3 weeks later...

We DVR'd it and finally watched the show last night. Amazing what they have to do on turnover day and the problems they encounter. To do that every week, year round, whew!!!!

One problem was getting those last passengers off the ship. It made me chuckle, as there are questions here on CC that ask "how long can I stay onboard the last morning?"...they will hunt you down as they cannot clear the ship until occupancy is at "0". Some of those people were just sitting in a lounge, ignoring the last call messages.

Another was how many instances there were for people not having proper documentation. Most were resolved via faxed documentation, a few were denied boarding. Expired passports, no letter of consent from non-traveling parent, married name on cruise docs, prior name (1st marriage or maiden name) on identification, no birth certificate for one child. One was even a man who had his ID, but the pax name was his assistant, I guess they changed their mind at the last minute, but didn't change the pax name - he didn't get on.

It's just too bad that some people don't read their contract. They come here and complain about the cruise line or TA not telling them, but it's all in the contract you sign/initial online. It's not a cruise line issue, it's a government issue, they cannot make exceptions. They do state in the contract that it's up to the traveler to have the proper documentation. I read some posts that state the above errors will be fine, that nobody really checks and that may be true if the check in agent isn't on their toes. But watching just a little of what many of those folks went through, waiting for hours for their friends/family/neighbor to fax the documents so they can board, what a nightmare!

The ship looked absolutely gorgeous, my husband and I both agreed we'd only cruise this ship for the ship itself, I doubt I'd want to hassle getting off in port with so many other pax. They didn't show the entires ship, just enough of it to make you want more. There was a view of the loft suites, pretty but no way I'd pay that much for a cabin, htey said it was aboout $3000 per night :eek: For that kind of cash you could hire a private yacht complete with crew and not have to deal with any crowds at all :)

We had another chuckle at the announcer stating they made over ___ thousand gourmet meals each week. Yes, they do make that many meals but none of them gourmet. If you watch the kitchen scenes, you will see stacks of pre-prepared food, it's a banquet assembly line. I admit I've never gone hungry on a cruise, but I know not to expect gourmet food.

All in all it was a fun show to watch, makes me want to go on a cruise.

The ship looked absolutely gorgeous, my husband and I both agreed we'd only cruise this ship for the ship itself, I doubt I'd want to hassle getting off in port with so many other pax. They didn't show the entires ship, just enough of it to make you want more. There was a view of the loft suites, pretty but no way I'd pay that much for a cabin, htey said it was aboout $3000 per night :eek: For that kind of cash you could hire a private yacht complete with crew and not have to deal with any crowds at all :)

All in all it was a fun show to watch, makes me want to go on a cruise.

That price is for the Royal Loft suite which usually goes for about $21,000.00 a week. The Crown Lofts go for much less.

Also for another great show on the Oasis, tune into the National Geographic channel on June 30th at 9:00 EST for Oasis: Worlds Largest Ship.

That price is for the Royal Loft suite which usually goes for about $21,000.00 a week. The Crown Lofts go for much less.

Also for another great show on the Oasis, tune into the National Geographic channel on June 30th at 9:00 EST for Oasis: Worlds Largest Ship.

Thanks for the "heads up" Bill. Is this a new show, or a repeat of an old one??:)

Rick

Yup, just what I said, 3000 X 7 nights would equal $21000 a week ;) So they just showed the Royal loft suite, I suppose. I'm just reporting what the show stated.

I think we all have a price point and I don't mind paying for a balcony, sometimes a JS if it is not too out of line. But 10 - 20 grand for a main stream cruise line cabin??? I'd rather cruise a 5 star line or a private yacht if I could afford that kind of money.

Thanks for the heads up on the Oasis, I'll DVR that one as well.

Yup, just what I said, 3000 X 7 nights would equal $21000 a week ;) So they just showed the Royal loft suite, I suppose. I'm just reporting what the show stated.

I think we all have a price point and I don't mind paying for a balcony, sometimes a JS if it is not too out of line. But 10 - 20 grand for a main stream cruise line cabin??? I'd rather cruise a 5 star line or a private yacht if I could afford that kind of money.

Thanks for the heads up on the Oasis, I'll DVR that one as well.

Actually they showed a standard Crown Loft suite in that show and not the RL. Anyone watching could come to the same conclusion as you that the loft suites cost $3000.00 a night when they do not. IMO it was misleading to the viewers.

I saw this and got excited--it's 11:10. I found the channel and there's some stupid movie on. Then I realized the post is dated May 22--duh, it's June 11. It would have been cool to see some of the behind the scenes stuff before we sail on the 19th on the Allure...

Actually they showed a standard Crown Loft suite in that show and not the RL. Anyone watching could come to the same conclusion as you that the loft suites cost $3000.00 a night when they do not. IMO it was misleading to the viewers.

Perhaps this is an old show or the narrator was trying to impress? I came to the conclusion due to the fact the narrator stated these staterooms go for $3000 a night.

So, I went to the RCI site and they certainly do not cost that much, however, still way more than most people would be willing to spend on a 7 night, main stream cruise line to the Caribbean. If I had $10,000 + to spend on a vacation, I would head over for a cruise in Europe, far more interesting to me (we did a 19 night cruise with pre/post days to Italy/Croatia in a JS for just a little more than this). Or a cruise to Australia, New Zealand, South America, Galapagos, Tahiti, Alaska (where you could go twice for that price!). Or...if I really wanted to go on this itinerary, for 10 grand I could take 2 other couples and all have balcony cabins and have a bit left over for spending money.

We all have our price point ;)

This is part of the Discovery network. It's usually one of those channels that you find buried in the upper range of channels.:)

http://planetgreen.discovery.com/

Thanks for the link. I just did a search and timewarner does not carry this channel in my zipcode. So I will not be watching any of the shows about RCI ships. I always have the travel channel.

Archived