The New Acropolis Museum or The National Archaeological Museum

mrspeaks

I love both museums, but if I had to pick only one it would be the National Archaeological Museum. Why? It contains some of the best artifacts from the entire history of ancient Greece. The gold of Mycenae, sculpture, pottery, amazing stuff.

The Acropolis Museum is a wonderful new museum, the design is incredible. But it really only deals with the Acropolis and doesn't give you the whole range of Greek history.

Two things worth knowing: it really helps to have a guidebook of some type for the Nat'l Archaeological Museum. Rick Steves' guidebook has a good self-tour.

The other thing -- it takes longer to really do justice to the NAM than to the Acropolis museum.

I love both museums, but if I had to pick only one it would be the National Archaeological Museum. Why? It contains some of the best artifacts from the entire history of ancient Greece. The gold of Mycenae, sculpture, pottery, amazing stuff.

The Acropolis Museum is a wonderful new museum, the design is incredible. But it really only deals with the Acropolis and doesn't give you the whole range of Greek history.

Two things worth knowing: it really helps to have a guidebook of some type for the Nat'l Archaeological Museum. Rick Steves' guidebook has a good self-tour.

The other thing -- it takes longer to really do justice to the NAM than to the Acropolis museum.

X2!!

We visited the National Archaeological Museum about 5 years ago...it is, to be sure, one of the major 'must-do' museums of Europe!

We visited (when it was finally completed!) the New Acropolis Museum in August, 2010, and it is stunning!! They did an fabulous job with the design and presentation!

But I strongly agree with Cruisemom42...both museums are great, both are stunning, both are must-do's, but the National Archaeological Museum should come first. I would say 1 to 1.5 hours for the Acropolis Museum, but more like 2 hours (minimum, longer if you're a fan) for the Natl Arch Museum.

Enjoy your visit to Athens and Greece!

It depends on what you want from a museum. We loved the architecture and location of the New Acropolis Museum. It stands out as one of the most memorable parts of our visits to Athens. Its uniqueness made it unforgettable.

• 1 month later...

I wasn't able to get in to the New Acropolis Museum lat time in Athens and will be doing it pre-cruise in October. The National Museum is unbelievable. Do take a guide book and be warned the English descriptions are both incomplete and not in the order of the artifacts! If you can only do the Acropolis itself plus a museum, this one is amazing.

Cynthia is right, both museums are great. The National Museum is special. However, if you are pushed for time, the New Acropolis Museum is fairly close to the Acropolis and easy to do if you are going there. Still, both Museums take hours to go through.

I wrote a long review of the new Acropolis Museum after my visit last fall that may be helpful to someone thinking about what to do:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1290949&highlight=acropolis+museum

Also, to address the guidebook issue: Rick Steves' Athens guidebook has a great self-guided tour of the National Archaeological Museum (and it's pretty much in the right order).

The Acropolis Museum is so new that most guidebooks I've looked at do not yet include a self-guided tour or description. I ended up purchasing a small booklet/catalog onsite at the gift store that provided great additional information on the museum and contents.

Archived