QUESTION: How much weight do you gain per day on a cruise?

portia1780

• 2 weeks later...

Hard to believe, but I probably lost weight on a 12-day cruise. I ate really great food, walked more than usual on the shore excursions, swam in the ocean, pulled the handles on the slot machines (never just pushed the button), danced into the night... and I actually walked the jogging track one morning in my new work-out suit. :eek: Good god... cruising could be the new diet craze... I'm signing up for 14-days next time!

I worry about weight gain BEFORE the cruise. At least a month before we sail...I diet. I usually try to take off 5-7 lbs....and then arrange my wardrobe accordingly....as most of you do too. Skinny clothes for the first half...fat clothes for the second half. Seems to work out ok for us.

Eight pounds in seven days. Of course, I was eating 18 hours/day. I bounced back and forth between the pizza, hamburgers and Horizon Court - before and after the evening meal.

But then, that's one of the reasons I went on a cruise. I left reality at Ft Lauderdale and that included moderating what I ate.

Eight pounds? Small price to pay for such a good time.

• 3 weeks later...

Back from Alaska 7 nights and didn't gain one pound! Was it all the shore excursions, walking the ship endlessly on Glacier Bay day, hiking on Mt. Roberts? I need another cruise, I feel like I was cheated! I had some exercise bloat for 2 days, didn't freak out or diet and it's gone. I ate and drank more than I ever do at home, but it just didn't stick. Time to book another cruise I guess, I was cheated!

On my last cruise to Hawaii(15 days)I actually came back having lost 1 pound. I ate and drank what I wanted, only in moderation, and all the extra walking really helped. I think, the hardest part for me is when I get home and try to get back into a regular routine.

I tend to lose or stay the same. I have a very sedentary job and being on a cruise my activity is much more than when at home. I ususally eat only during meals and seem to eat better while on a cruise. Not doing the grab and go that I do at home. I don't worry about what I order, I think eating in the restaurants help. If I was eating at the buffet every meal it might be different.

I do a lot of walking both on the ship and while in port. Our upcoming cruise to the Baltics should be very good for getting more exercise. We are in a port almost everyday of the 10 night itinerary. Besides, I don't think I'll be eating alot of the herring!

Mary

I like to eat alot. On one of my first curises, I counted eating and snacking 17 times in one day.

If you are like me, you are trying to lose a few pounds before boarding. Whatever you do stop dieting and start eating normal 4-5 day before you leave. The only time I have ever been sick on a cruise was when I dieted right up to leaving. The rich food on-board will mess-up your system if you change over to fast.

1.71 pounds a day ... 7 day cruise and I gained 12 pounds. So I consumed approx 9,000 calories a day (6000 over normal to gain weight).

The food was great, but it wasn't worth the weight gain. I'm still 7lbs above my normal weight 3 1/2 weeks after my cruise.

I used the gym 4x too!

I weighed myself on the morning before I left on the 12 night cruise to Alaska and this afternoon when I came back. I know this is not the REAL weight gain, but in any case, it was a whopping 10.5 lbs!!!

Everyday except one, I worked out at the gym... not your 2 miles per hour slow walk while wearing regular clothes... there were a few of these folks...still kudos for coming into the gym, but a combination of cardiovascular workout, resistance training, and their 40 minute stretch class. Within those 11 days, I also had three personal training sessions of 60 minutes each, so I really felt I did well. Assuming that I didn't gain any muscle weight, I think 10.5 is, well, awful, but I try to see the other side which is how much weight I would have gained if I didn't do anything. None of my clothes fit tighter (unlike my FIL who had my MIL change the button placements on several of his clothing), so I'm really hoping this weight will come off within the next week.

Oh, I ate very well, but still not as "well" as my other family members (generally I had three meals with a snack compared to their six full meals).

• 2 weeks later...

Last cruise, I lost 4 pounds. Hit the gym every day; swam in the pool and took the stairs. Had dessert each day (my husband and I shared one) but did have cocktails and wine each day. Mostly ate fish. With the exception of the desert, pretty much the same as we do at home but I don't get to exercise every day.

Ate what I wanted (which was a LOT more than at home--very calorie-conscious when at home) including desserts and drinks, but also hit the gym, NEVER used the elevators onboard ship, had a cabin at far end of ship, and all excursions were very athletic, so I didn't gain anything. Was prepared for the possibility though, and saved my more loose-fitting clothes for end of cruise.

I know that the past two cruises I had different results.

In 2000 I was really on a health kick, running 30+ miles a week and actually was able to hit that mark on a 7-day cruise. We also tried to be active around the ship and also on our excursions. I was actually 5 lbs lighter when we got home.

Last years cruise I was off to a good start exercising but that ended after the first day. I figure I gained about 5 lbs once we got home and had a few days of exercise.

I have a very slow natural metabolism and an overly health appetite so I need to exercise a lot to keep weight in check.

This next cruise I hope that I will be able to stay motivated and exercise like I had on the cruise in 2000. Figure to hit my 30 miles all I need is about 45 minutes each day. I am back on that health kick but our cruise is 3 months out so we will see.

We set out not to gain weight on our cruises. We go to the gym religiously or walk laps on the top deck, play basketball, table tennis, putt putt golf, and climb stairs instead of using the elevator. I wear a pedometer and try for fifteen thousand steps a day, but have reached twenty thousand on the Mariner of the Seas, because it is such a long, long ship.

That said, on our ten day cruise to the Panama Canal on Brilliance of the Seas, I did, in fact, gain weight...five pounds. I think the longer you are on the ship, the harder it becomes to resist the ever present food and drink. Even all the activities we tried didn't help. Plus, for some reason, I became exhausted early on the cruise and developed an energy deficit I couldn't erase. I had to nap every day just to drag around.

While our goal is to not gain, it would be hard to actualy LOSE weight on a cruise. I really envy those above who said they did lose weight. It took me six weeks after the Panama cruise to kick off that five pound weight gain.

When I sail for the first time 10 years ago I gained 5 pounds in a week. When I sail the 2nd time this past Jan. I actually came home 1/2 pound lighter then when I left home. I ate and I ate all that wonderful food, even having more than 1 appetizer every night, BUT the Carnival Glory is a HUGE ship and I walked and walked on it running from one activity to another at different ends of the ship, took shore excursions with lots of walking and quite often we took the stairs instead of the elevators. Elevators were only used when we were going up more than 3 or 4 decks. Believe me I was tired and slept very well at night!

Kathy in Maine

We were on Mariner of the Seas last October and I ate everything in sight. I weighed myself on the same scale before and after getting on the boat, and I put on 5 pounds.

Once I got back home, I dropped those five pounds almost immediately because I quit drinking Coke/Pepsi/soda/pop/cola/whatever-you-call-it-where-you-live the summer before the cruise, drank all the Sprite Royal Caribbean would pour into my cup during the cruise and then quit again once we got home.

You don't think about it, but a 24 oz. bottle of soda has about 300 calories--empty calories at that!--so cutting out the 3 bottles of Pepsi/Sierra Mist/Coke that I used to drink and replacing it with water really helped me drop some pounds without any other changes in my lifestyle or eating habits.

It also helped that I tried to walk two miles around the jogging track every day, I took the steps instead of the elevator whenever possible and did a lot of walking when we were in port.

I was expecting to put on a little more weight for the cruise, but I'm happy that I stayed about the same.

• 2 weeks later...

I recently posted that last year I lost two pounds on the 7 day Paradise cruise. Well i just came back form the 7 day Glory western cruise and unfortunately i hd different results: i gained 3 lbs. Amazingly I didn't notice while I was on the cruise, in fact i thought that i was losing weight but when i came home reality hit...i guess all the midnight pizzas got to me after all :cool:

OK - I am on vacation so I eat and drink what I want. I never gained any weight on our cruises but just felt puffy... water retention when I fly. We do so much walking on those excursions and on the ship I think it cancels out the extra calories I consume. :) I will have to say that we went to Jamaica this year for a 5 day AI resort and I gained about 7 lbs. in 6 days. We just ate, drank and spent all day on the loungers on the beach. No excersize at all. :eek: Next cruise I plan on using the gym - I want to look great in the new evening dresses!