QUESTION: How much weight do you gain per day on a cruise?

portia1780

;) We always eat like pigs every minute of our cruise and our weight breaks even at the end. I keep track of my calories everyday at home but have never done that on a cruise. I'm going to try and track them this time just for fun. It has to be at least twice as many as I would normally have. Maybe my activity is twice as much as well?!?!

• 2 weeks later...

Being that I eat too much bread before ordering my meal, drink way too many frozen sweet drinks, and eat too much dessert and danish, I don't wanna know how many calories I truly consume per day on a cruise. Over 3500? Probably, when all is said and done.

I gain a pound per day on a cruise. I always gain 7 pounds on 7-night cruises. It's the bread, the danish, the desserts, the frozen drinks, etc. that do it to me. I don't eat that way at home. I do exercise though, and still gain the weight!

For me, a cruise is not a time to watch what I eat. I only go every other year or so, and I am enjoying myself to the fullest when I go! I don't deprive myself of anything, and when I get home I just go back to eating healthy and the weight comes right off. My husband, on the other hand, gained 5 pounds on his first cruise with us (5-night cruise). We told him that it would come off within a week of coming home. Well he weighed himself a week later and had gained another 5 pounds! I guess he continued to eat the same amount when he came home! He eventually lost it though, and even some more. :)

I gain about 5-7 lbs on a 7 night cruise. I'm back down to 115 lbs. about a week of eating normally after a cruise.

I don't worry about what I eat or drink on a cruise, I just enjoy myself. I normally don't exercise, either. It makes me naseous for some reason. I always take the stairs but thats about it.

I normally track my calories and eat about 1800 a day. On a cruise I don't track cals. but I would estimated as high as 6000-8000 cals. Just think every fruity drink is 300-400 cals and that's not even counting any food.

Also, when I'm at home I run 6-10 miles a day a 4 days a week, step classes, kick box, and lift weights. On a cruise I just relax.

It's about the only time I lose weight (average of about a pound a day) - The dining room serves appropiate sized portions with a variety of foods. They make it easier to eat fruits and veggies rather than junk food. Don't conciously exercise while on a cruise, but we like sightseeing and tend to walk and hike alot so it evens out.

• 4 weeks later...

On both my previous cruises, I lost 1 lb. I think it was mostly all the walking - on ship & off. And while I never deprived myself of what I really wanted to eat either time, I really didn't go overboard & drank LOTS of water. I practically always had a mug of ice water with me wherever I went, & a water bottle each time I left the ship.

1st cruise, I wasn't dieting, but we were on a very tight budget - so no frou-frou drinks - just the occasional beer & split a bottle of wine with tablemates at dinner 2x. Of course the free drinks at the captain's cocktail party.

2nd cruise, I was actively watching my diet & ate small portions of mostly healthier items - but ate EVERYTHING I truly wanted, including a few slices of the "to die for" goat cheese pizza. Drank more, tho - Had about 1 beer per day, + some wine at dinner 2x, + the free drinks & appetizers at both the captain's & the past cruiser's parties. So even though I was more active 2nd cruise (gym 2x, + NEVER the elevators, + walking on beaches & excursions, + "shipwalking" for 30+ min several times +++) I know the added alcohol made a difference, too!

Cruising need not be a feeding frenzy!

I walk briskly 30 minutes every day. I also eat very little meat, but eat tons of fruit and veg, drinks lots of water and almost never eat dessert. Luckily, I detest chocolate so most desserts would gag me anyway.
Have you been to a doctor about that horrible disease...:eek:

Have you been to a doctor about that horrible disease...:eek:

Do you mean not liking chocolate? Ugh, it makes me think of biting into a candle - all waxy and bitter. I have tried some of the best chocolate in the world (Belgian, etc.) and it all sickens me - even the smell! I feel that way about coffee as does my hubby. Folks who stay with us have to BYOC - Bring Your Own Coffee!

Do you mean not liking chocolate? Ugh, it makes me think of biting into a candle - all waxy and bitter. I have tried some of the best chocolate in the world (Belgian, etc.) and it all sickens me - even the smell! I feel that way about coffee as does my hubby. Folks who stay with us have to BYOC - Bring Your Own Coffee!
Wow... two of the three C's to life. :D Perhaps your taste buds don't work, because good chocolate should not be bitter, or waxy, and the texture should NEVER resemble that of a candle!!!! But, to each, his own ;) that's what makes us individuals

... the only waxy bitter chocolate I've ever had was when I was a child, I took a bite of unsweetened bakers chocolate right throught the waxed paper in which it was wrapped!!!:rolleyes:

... so I guess you wouln't even try a chocolate covered coffee bean!!!

... the other 'C"... oh, that's cold beer. :cool:

• 3 weeks later...

I either stay the same or have lost weight on a cruise - It is NOT for lack of eating or drinking - not shy there! It's cuz I have such a poor sense of direction, I'm lost all the time on the ship!! I probably walk the ship WAY more than your average passenger!! :rolleyes:

I either stay the same or have lost weight on a cruise - It is NOT for lack of eating or drinking - not shy there! It's cuz I have such a poor sense of direction, I'm lost all the time on the ship!! I probably walk the ship WAY more than your average passenger!! :rolleyes:

LOL! That's probably why I didn't gain my first cruise - it took me the whole 8 days to figure hout how to get everywhere! My 2nd cruise, I paid more attention & knew where I was better -- I just walked around more, on purpose!

Sha

I lost 3.5 pounds on my last 5 day cruise. I did try to watch what I eat ..lighter breakfasts and lunches. Don't drink alcohol so that never was an issue. Still indulged some at dinners and "snacks" and took some of the gym classes and lots of walking.

I'll be doing a 14 day cruise in December. Hopefully, I will stay the same with that length of time. I will keep up my exercise routine and take advantage of the activities.

I managed to lose a couple of pounds on my cruise last month....managed to eat alot of cakes and deserts, so im not complaining! I find that coming from a much colder climate makes you less hungry, i ended up eating mainly at breakfast and dinner, with the odd snack in between.

• 2 weeks later...

At home I don't eat sugar- at all, and limit my portions and eat according to serving size and the food groups I need daily. Nothing else! But on a cruise, that is a different story! I always thought how awful it would be to be on a diet on a cruise. We are going on the Maasdam in 12 days and I have been thinking about eating. I most likely won't eat many desserts, they don't really do anything for me but make me feel yucky physically. I guess since I am not used to eating sugar. And unlike my last two cruises I won't stuff my self 6 times a day just because I can:). But I am not going to be counting calories, or watching servings sizes or anything like that. I will continue walking 30 minutes a day, and eat good foods. If I gain extra , I will lose it when I return home. I don't know how much I gained my last two cruises, probably a lot, but I do know when we went to Disney World 3 weeks ago, we had the meal plan so we ate one sit down dinner and one snack and one counter service meal a day I gained 7 pounds in 11 days. And I walked anywhere from 5-15 miles a day for 7 days in the parks!!! I really didn't think I ate that much, maybe because I am not used to eating so much! Anyway, have fun everyone, and remember, "Don't worry, be happy mon"

Hi earthfarie

I think that eating what other people serve us "automatically" causes us to eat more than we normally would on our own - larger portions, lots of stuff in sauces & butter, as well as the extra "hidden" calories we can't "see" (usually fat!)

Because I was very active & watched my WOE, I was able to stay the same on my past cruises & plan to do the same on my next. What helps me a lot is, since I travel with a group of people (Relatives & close friends), I can always have a taste of everything, without having to have a whole plateful! And ALL the food is SO good, I never feel deprived by sticking to "healthier" choices - I mean, it's not like I'm eating carrot sticks while everyone else is eating what they want! :p

Plus, I think, limiting alcohol can make a big difference. When I was thirsty, I drank water, & really "savored" my drinks when I did have them!

I've worked to hard to lose this weight. I just don't want to come back from a vacation having to lose 5 lbs I had already lost!:eek:

Sha

• 1 month later...

I have never gained more than a pound or two ( max) on 7 day cruises. Please note I have a lousy metabolism and a gain weight very quickly! Celebrity has excellent choices, I eat a light breakfast in the cabin, spa food for lunch ( which I actually prefer), a resonable dinner, and splurge on dinner desserts and the afternnon tea that offer great sweets and tea sandwiches. Oh yes, I also love those French Martinis. For me, this balance, along with lots of walking/exploring. If I ate all of the food available I would gain so much that I would never allow myself to keep cruising every year. I certainly splurge and enjoy, I just don't eat all of the constant temptations all day .

• 1 month later...

I have another cruise coming up in April on the Princess Sapphire..my best advice is to take the stairs...no elevators..unless it is formal night and you have high heels on...also I agree with the walking so much because of poor direction...it always took us twenty minutes to get to the dining room...such a wierd location...cheers:D