QUESTION: How much weight do you gain per day on a cruise?

portia1780

It doesn't seem to matter whether it's a 5 day, 9 day or 7 day.....each time I've gained 5 pounds (and lost it again in the month after the cruise). And yes, it was real weight gain.....I ate many desserts each day, a huge breakfast, large lunch, afternoon snack, dinner with desserts....you get the idea. But when I'm home I burn 400-500 calories a day on the treadmill and keep calories down to a bare minimum. Cruises are my no-holds-barred pig-out time and I make no excuses for my gluttony. I'm just happy that we've managed to space them out so there's time to lose the weight before the next one :rolleyes:

• 1 year later...

I remember on my last cruise I stepped on the scale after 2 or 3 days of an 8 day cruise and almost fainted when i saw I'd gained around 7 pounds. I stepped on the scale a day or so later though and it had already dropped. I'm assuming it was just high salt intake and water retention.

I generally don't gain. The only time I gained was on my cruise in Dec of 2005...

Like another poster above, I cannot eat sugar or many starches, turns out my body cannot metabolize them at all. Before I knew the reason for that I instinctively stayed away from them because they made me sick, but on my cruise in 2005, I started taking small bites here and there and on the last couple of days of the cruise was eating full portions of them. I gained 10 pounds in just a couple of days.

I eat plenty, but if I stay away from sugar, I won't gain. So, I'll be the one walking by with a plate load of beef and veggies, lol.

• 2 weeks later...

I tend to gain a bit when I cruise, so before I go I try to lose a few to make up for it, if that makes sense. For instance, at the moment, I know I'm cruising at the end of November, so before I set sail, I hope to have lost about 15 pounds. If I gain 5 it isn't a big deal... because a week's worth of less than "perfect" eating does not a new habit make. If you have good habits in every day life, I say enjoy the vaca, don't worry about the calories, eat what you want without gorging yourself, and try to workout a bit, and it will all work out in the end. :)

I don't gain weight on a cruise... I pretty much eat as normal....when I feel full I stop. It's too hard to lose a few pounds and that's always on the back of my mind whilst eating. Here's some of my tips that work for me. (5'4", 115 lbs)

Begin your meals with an 8oz glass of water.

For big buffets, just take a small amount of something you like.

Since restaurant portion sizes are large enough for two, separate your portions in half before you start eating and only eat one half. Take the other half home or find someone to split the meal with you.

I also order half portions in restaurants when I can

Splurge occasionally on that favorite dessert. One won't hurt you, but one every night is a 'No, No".

I will lose weight while on a cruise if I don't drink anything other than water...I walk more on vacation...I eat better (even with desserts) because everything is proportioned...I stay out of the Windjammer with a few exceptions...and try not to eat at night...The first cruise we took, we ate and drank so much that by the 3rd day we were sick...so we never did that again...

we have never gained weight -

I find that we are so much more active that we end up losing a few pounds - the best was the last one after 12 days on the ship we returned home and I had lost 6 lbs. - but the thing is we don't over eat and we try to behave when we do splurge - also we normally eat only breakfast and dinner with lunch being a salad or soup

ugh I bloated up horribly this past week. I guess it was salt/water retention. I did eat more than I ever would normally though, but tried to make it to the gym almmost every day, and always opted for the stairs and chose pretty active tours. but having been home only two days, I'm completely back to normal. Even my boyfriend commented that I'm "skinny again"

My DH & I just stepped off our very first cruise yesterday -- seven full days filled with food and relaxation. We got off the ship at every port even if it was to simply walk a couple of blocks to look around. Onboard the ship we rarely took the stairs, never went to the gym, nor did we set foot in the pools or look at the jogging track. Basically, we spent hours each day reading, journaling and just watching the sea go by.

Even with eating MUCH more than we do at home, carefully selecting what seemed best for us and in whatever quantities we wanted, we both ended up losing weight! I lost 2 pounds and my husband lost 3. Of course, as soon as I found this out I told my DH of my NEW CRUISE DIET PLAN: we just have to go on another, say, 30 cruises to lose all the weight we want!:D

Seriously, I chalk up our weight loss to the fact that the cruise ship cuisine was so varied and readily available throughout the day that we were able to naturally choose the proper amount of proteins, carbs and fat that were ideal for us as individuals. At home, on the other hand, the selection is far more limited, particularly since it's much easier to have, say, a bowl of cereal for breakfast (high in carbs) rather than bother with cooking bacon & omelettes & pastries such as were simply handed to us on the ship.

During our cruise we did not restrict ourselves at all as to what we ate. Even when we ordered multiple starters, entrees or desserts we usually ate just the parts of the course that we wanted and then only until we were pleasantly full. We also "grazed" throughout the day and evening, taking a pizza slice here, a few french fries there, keeping our blood sugars pretty level, which is certainly not the case at home.

One difference between us and most passengers was the fact that neither of us drank anything alcoholic on the cruise. Our TA, in fact, sent a bottle of wine to our stateroom to thank us for booking the cruise. Although we occasionally have a glass of wine with friends, we never were in the mood for it and thus chose to bring it home with us, where we will share it with future visitors.

We also did not indulge in sodas while aboard ship. Mostly, we chose to drink lemonade, iced tea, hot chocolate, milk, fruit punch and juice. This choice, too, was much higher, calorie-wise, than the water we usually have at home.

I probably don't have to tell you that I prefer cruise cuisine to anything I can dish up at home. And with weight loss results like these, I'm ready to live on board!:cool:

• 1 month later...

I went on a 10 day cruise to Italy and added on 3 days in Rome and 3 days in Venice. When I returned I found out that I had lost 14 pounds. I ate what I wanted, often leaving portions behind because I was full. I also was doing a lot of walking every day.

I think it was the walking that saved me. Boy, was it nice to find out I didn't have to work hard to lose all the weight I had gained on vacation.

Cathy

I normally lose weight on a cruise.

I do a lot more walking (use stairs not lifts etc.) and I am on a gluten free diet; of which the cruise line, usually, look after me better than I do:o and once the crew know, I cannot get away with eating anything that I shouldn't:D .

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I am on your cruise and I have the same plan: not to put on weight - I just lost 38 pounds and bought a whole new wardrobe. I REALLY do not want to put it back on. So yes, I am going to enjoy the food, but I will have to move a bit more than I would be doing at home.

Lets keep our fingers crossed that we will both still be the same size when we leave the Explorer.

I just lost 35 lbs. Sure hope I don't gain it back on a 12 day cruise in a few weeks! I'm planning on not dieting but being a bit aware. The drinks kill you though!:)

Same here - I never gain, in fact last cruise I lost one pound. I try to eat like I do at home and in fact, on a cruise, I don't eat crisps or nuts. I take more exercise and I don't eat desserts. I swim, do the deck walks and end up feeling much healthier.

I usually lose weight, I think because I am careful about what I eat, always have a salad, sometimes two; Eat in the dining room instead of the buffet, and I think because I do a lot of walking to get around the ship. On our 26 day cruise, I realized my clothes were looser than when we got on. I also do not care for the desserts, don't care for alcohol except the free drinks at the parties; won't pay for sodas, and can't drink tea, and don't like coffee. That leaves water. And unfortunately, I am having trouble with my knees and can't do the stairs as comfortably as before. EM

I have either actually lost weight on cruises, or stayed the same! probably because I go to the on board gym everday, and eat whatever I want in moderation, I tend to stay somewhat low -carb and indulde in something sweet when I want once a day or whatever meal I choose. Aso eating is usually a lot more relaxed then my usual run around schedule at home! Enjoy!

Yep, that's me too, on my first cruise I lost weight. I loved having a personal chef put all the choices in front of me and so many of them were healthy. That and the laps around the track and it's the best of both worlds! :p

• 9 years later...

Hi everyone. I have to respond to what I have read here. I am especially saddened reading stories from those who have gained and had difficulty losing. I am not a nutritionist, but am very knowledgeable and have guided many people through their own individual journeys of weight gain/loss. I also have years of experience cruising, 70+ on 5 major cruise lines. So, been there and definitely done that. Weight is lost in the kitchen. As a result, on a cruise ship, unless you eat completely clean, it is soooooo hard not to gain some weight no matter how hard you exercise. To those who didn't gain any weight - congrats! You are definitely in the minority!! :) On a cruise ship what may look healthy food wise, trust me, is definitely not!. A simple suggestion for when you return - Give yourself at least a week to ten days before you get on that scale and/or book a drs appt! You were on vacation! It's okay here or there to gain a few pounds. Just say to yourself once you get on the scale, that it's time to get back on track if you did gain weight. The worst thing you can do is to shame yourself after your cruise. That's why I suggest staying away from the scale. Eventually, if you did gain some weight, you will loose it - just remember your "why" and work from that. Happy cruising!