RCCL Vision of the Seas October 17, 2011 Istanbul R/T

marksocal

My partner and I just booked this cruise and are very excited to visit Istanbul for 4 days before and 3 days after this cruise to Israel and Greece. This is our 6th cruise, and our first Med cruise. Would be great to chat with any others going on this trip! We live in San Francisco.

• 3 months later...

Hi Pup! Was starting to think my partner and I would be the only ones on this trip!

I corresponded with Leo from GTI and have booked the two days in Ashdod, but not yet the tour from Haifa. In reading the descriptions on their website, the GTI tours available from Haifa, the "Jewish Themed" tour sounded more interesting to me. I'm not Jewish (not that it matters), I just was more interested in the that tour. Leo responded that there were not enough people interested in the Jewish tour, and that he could start a waiting list. Not sure what to do.

What about in Kusadasi/Ephesus? I didn't notice much in the role call thread about that port. My partner found some possibilities with Ekol Travel, and he has written to them for more info - I don't think he has yet received a reply.

Thanks for the note. Very much looking forward to this trip and glad there will be a friendly face! I'm always a little nervous about how other cruisers are going to react to two men traveling together, although we've never had a bad experience.

We'll see you at the Meet and Greet.

Mark (and Jeff) from San Francisco.

Hi Pup,

Noticed your post about Hotel Erboy in Istanbul. Web site and reviews look good. We are arriving in IST on the 14th, so have also been looking for a place to stay - the Erboy looks as good or better than anything I've found. Think there will be any raised eyebrows if two men check into one room?

Mark

Hi Mark. That's odd that Leo told you that he has no bookings for the Jewish Haifa tour since I requested it. He said I was the only one he had listed so far. I guess he loses track but there should be at least 3 people including you and Jeff, which means he only needs another 3 people to confirm. As for the 2 days from Ashdod, I'm guessing you're doing Masada and Dead Sea on the first day and Jersusalem on the 2nd. Trouble for me is I think I'm the only one who signed up for the Jewish tour of Jerusalem, so far. I think things should be sorted out a few weeks before the cruise.

As for Ephesus, you may have already seen my post. The only organizer I found who doesn't do private tours, which are expensive even for a couple is Kusadasi.biz which books people on group tours. The price for Ephesus with a visit to the terrace houses is $45. It's extra to go to the House of the Virgin Mary which I passed. I also booked a hamam visit with them for $20. I figured rather than get ripped off they would get me a fair price and from what I've read $20. is all you should pay for that. The ones in Istanbul are like 3 times the price.

I don't think the Erboy will be concerned about 2 men since Istanbul gets a lot of European tourists so I'm sure they get their share of gay guests including married ones. As for the cruise itself, I haven't been on a cruise where there haven't been gay guests. As long as the other guests aren't paying for your cruise you shouldn't have to be concerned about them. So you guys take as many moonlight strolls out on deck as you want. I'm a stockholder and I say it's okay! There will probably be a friends of Dorothy group or we could start one. Don't know if you've sailed on RCCL before but they don't put the announcement in the Daily Compass. There's a bulletin board by guest relations and that's where friends of Bill W., friends of Dorothy, etc. meetings are listed.

Hi Pup,

I may have misunderstood what Leo meant. He may have meant that he did not yet have enough people for the "Jewish" tour in Haifa. I asked to be added to the wait list, so if you did as well we're half way there :-)

We've been on a few straight cruises (2 Celebrity and 1 NCL), and we had wonderful experiences on each trip. We've been on a couple Atlantis cruises as well, which is also great fun.

Can't wait for the trip!

Thanks for the advice and info.

Regards,

Mark

Mark, I too arrive in Istanbul on the 14th so if you do book the Erboy I guess I'll see you there. I've been planning my visit thanks to 2 excellent books. Rick Steves Istanbul. This book is wonderful because it explains everything. It like having a guide take you by the hand and making sure you are thoroughly looked after. The other is called DK Eyewitness Travel Istanbul which is part of an excellent series of travel books. These books has loads of color photos, maps, diagrams and cut away drawings of important sites. The Rick Steves book has only black and white photos and maps. The Eyewitness Travel makes an excellent souvenir. You won't need to buy any souvenir books when you're there. I got both through Amazon.com and I think the 2 books came to $32. with free shipping. Well, I guess we'll chat again soon. Thanks for clarifying Leo's remarks.

Hello again,

Thanks for the guide book advice. We always enjoy Rick Steve's guides when traveling in Europe, and they have them at the local library, which is nice. Hadn't heard of the other one, but will check to see if I can pick it up too. We've booked the Erboy Hotel on the 14th, and it includes a free transfer from the Airport, which will be nice after a 14 hour flight from LA. I'm getting very excited about the trip! Take care and see you in Istanbul!

I'm guessing you arrive in the evening. One good thing is the hotel has one of the best restaurants in Istanbul, Pasazade. So when you check in you can ask them to reserve a table and you won't have to start figuring out where to eat when you're all jet lagged out (that is if you feel like eating). There's rooftop dining if it's warm enough, with a view of the city. They also will give you a discount card for any of the restaurants that is part of the hotel chain. I'm hoping to get a nap in before dinner but I might sleep through, depending on how much I sleep on the plane (and I'm not a good sleeper on planes so I'm not counting on that).

Here's the link to the other Istanbul book so you can get an idea:

http://www.amazon.com/DK-Eyewitness-Travel-Guide-Istanbul/dp/0756669693/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1315453124&sr=1-3

I'm guessing you arrive in the evening. One good thing is the hotel has one of the best restaurants in Istanbul, Pasazade. So when you check in you can ask them to reserve a table and you won't have to start figuring out where to eat when you're all jet lagged out (that is if you feel like eating). There's rooftop dining if it's warm enough, with a view of the city. They also will give you a discount card for any of the restaurants that is part of the hotel chain. I'm hoping to get a nap in before dinner but I might sleep through, depending on how much I sleep on the plane (and I'm not a good sleeper on planes so I'm not counting on that).

Here's the link to the other Istanbul book so you can get an idea:

http://www.amazon.com/DK-Eyewitness-Travel-Guide-Istanbul/dp/0756669693/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1315453124&sr=1-3

Thanks for the istambul book link.

gotta buy this....

J.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Do you have anything booked for Ephesus yet? I did book a tour for myself but the one post on our roll call (which is for the wrong date) looks good, so I wrote them to see if they have a tour available for 10/19. I already have 3 (including myself) who are insterested. Another 2 and the tour will be $50 per person including lunch. My tour is $45. without lunch. 6-8 people and the price drops $10. to $40. and so on. But even a small group of 5 would be great for $50. per person. What are your thoughts?

I have not finalized anything, but was considering either the Ephesus Full Day Tour 1 or 2 at:

Ephesus tours (dot biz)

I still have not heard back from Leo at GTI about the "Jewish" themed tour in Haifa, which is surprising since I believe you mentioned in a previous post that you had heard back from him that he had enough participants. Also, there are 3 of us traveling (a friend booked a week or so ago), and I believe they only need 6 to run the tour. I wrote to Leo again today, maybe he forgot about me.

Also, haven't booked anything in Athens, I think we will walk to the train station and ride to the Plaka and explore the Plaka and the Parthenon on our own. Also thinking we will explore Rhodes on our own as well.

I have not finalized anything, but was considering either the Ephesus Full Day Tour 1 or 2 at:

Ephesus tours (dot biz)

I still have not heard back from Leo at GTI about the "Jewish" themed tour in Haifa, which is surprising since I believe you mentioned in a previous post that you had heard back from him that he had enough participants. Also, there are 3 of us traveling (a friend booked a week or so ago), and I believe they only need 6 to run the tour. I wrote to Leo again today, maybe he forgot about me.

Also, haven't booked anything in Athens, I think we will walk to the train station and ride to the Plaka and explore the Plaka and the Parthenon on our own. Also thinking we will explore Rhodes on our own as well.

You don't have to walk to the metro station from the ship. You can get a bus to the station and it doesn't cost any more. I'll have the info with me. All I want to do is take the metro to Monestary Square station and walk to a Gyro place. This is near the Plaka. I also want to see if that general strike will happen the day before we get there. I may not want to risk riding transit not knowing if there will be a way back to the ship. Don't mean to scare you but for my purposes, I can always hang around Piraeus. I've been to Athens and the only thing I didn't see is the new Parthenon museum.

Rhodes I am definitely doing on my own. The old walled city is right by the ship. I figured out how much cash I'm going to need for the hotel in Istanbul and the Israel tours and I started to freak but then realized I won't be spending much more.

I got confirmed on the "Jewish" themed tour in Haifa today!

I wasn't aware of the general strike in Athens, that is a little unsettling, I hope it is all over by the time we get there. I've not been to Athens previously and I am looking forward to visiting the Parthenon.

I got confirmed on the "Jewish" themed tour in Haifa today!

I wasn't aware of the general strike in Athens, that is a little unsettling, I hope it is all over by the time we get there. I've not been to Athens previously and I am looking forward to visiting the Parthenon.

There's one in Nashville too, so don't worry. Remember, the strike is supposed to be on the day before we get there, so probably, if it happens, things will resume to normal (or normal for Greece) by the time we arrive. I don't think the Greeks want to turn away a bunch of gay lads.LOL

That's great about getting the confirmation about the Haifa tour today but shame on them for working on Rosh Hashanah! Actually, I think in Israel they only observe 1 day. It will be interesting if we're in the same van for these tours.

There's one in Nashville too, so don't worry. Remember, the strike is supposed to be on the day before we get there, so probably, if it happens, things will resume to normal (or normal for Greece) by the time we arrive. I don't think the Greeks want to turn away a bunch of gay lads.LOL

That's great about getting the confirmation about the Haifa tour today but shame on them for working on Rosh Hashanah! Actually, I think in Israel they only observe 1 day. It will be interesting if we're in the same van for these tours.

I believe Leo works 24/7. I think Israel is 10 hours ahead of pacific time, and I often write to him in the late afternoon and he responds almost immediately.

I hope we all get on the same tour / same van. My friend that just recently booked the cruise, also tried to get on the tour in Haifa, and Leo told him it is sold out, which is so strange because I thought he told me previously there weren't enough participants to run the tour. Maybe working 24/7 has its drawbacks :)

Archived