i dont want you to go with me

Shae Boogie

I don't know if this is posted somewhere but......Ok....has anyone ever had a group of people going on a cruise, but there is one person that wants to go but you REALLY DON'T want that person to go??? :mad: What do you tell that person without saying no..I'm blunt out with saying stuff but this situation I cant make up something. LOL!!! Please help :confused:

I'm actually laughing about what the comments will be as well....its my sister n law, I don't like hanging out with her, I can't be my fun self, neither can my friends, she is like a party pooper lol. If I wasn't married to her husbands twin brother, lol she would definetly be a person I would NEVER hang out with.

You might want to post this on the board for the cruise line you're going on, as this is the board for those with questions about cruising solo. With that, if you're going with a group, just do your own thing and hope for the best. There's no way to tell anyone no, without major family problems.

Ok kitty9....it can go both ways, either with a group or me solo...I don't want her to go if I was solo either. So this is a question for solo cruisers. Maybe I should have specified me cruising solo. So I did post on the right board. Group of friends was just a senerio.

• 2 weeks later...

If she really wants to go, I don't see any way out of it. You can tell her straight out you would prefer she not sail, and then you may have major problems with not only her but your brother in law too. And she still may be on that cruise ship, if they aren't part of the group booking they could still book on their own.

I say just go and be yourself, enjoy yourself and try not to be concerned with whether she seems to approve or not.

I've run into this with a cousin who keeps telling me she wants to go with me, can't you add someone?

I told her "I'm really looking forward to doing this by myself, because someone told me I can't.. It's kind of a challenge." (my grandmother told me I wasn't outgoing enough to cruise solo) "But next time, we will definitely see if you can come" (We will see but my answer will still be no..)

I don't know if this is posted somewhere but......Ok....has anyone ever had a group of people going on a cruise, but there is one person that wants to go but you REALLY DON'T want that person to go??? :mad: What do you tell that person without saying no..I'm blunt out with saying stuff but this situation I cant make up something. LOL!!! Please help :confused:

Why don't you just tell her that there is no more room to place anyone in a cabin, that everyone is already paired up. And try and convince her that adding even one more person to a cabin will make it inconvience to the people in the cabin; too crowded, only one bathroom, etc.

• 2 weeks later...

I've never had this problem in a group situation. However, a number of time when I've had a solo trip planned I have had people I wasn't really crazy about invite themselves along. I usually tell them that even when I travel with someone else I like to have my own room. (This is true so I am not making anything up.) This is usually a showstopper because what they really want is to share the expense of a cabin. This usually gets me off the hook. I have had people say "OK" & they ended up bringing a friend. That's OK too because I can still do my own thing.

I've never had this problem in a group situation. However, a number of time when I've had a solo trip planned I have had people I wasn't really crazy about invite themselves along. I usually tell them that even when I travel with someone else I like to have my own room. (This is true so I am not making anything up.) This is usually a showstopper because what they really want is to share the expense of a cabin. This usually gets me off the hook. I have had people say "OK" & they ended up bringing a friend. That's OK too because I can still do my own thing.

I like the above suggestion. It is close to what I would do, which is make the conditions under which you are going so unattractive to her that she doesn't want to cruise with you. You shouldn't have any family fallout if she decides she doesn't want to go with you.

I planned my NCL Western Med cruise as a solo and tried to keep it low-key at work - lots of haters in my office, unfortunately. I especially wanted to be sure that a very mean (yes, mean) girl in the office did not find out. She's a smoker (gives me a headache as I am an ex-smoker) and pretty heavy drinker (not conducive to a port-intensive itinerary) and we just have nothing in common; in addition, she had made some very hateful comments to me in the past. Well, someone let the cat out of the bag about a month before the trip. The girl ran up to my desk and asked me if it was true, and I said yes, I was going on the cruise. here's the rest of the conversation:

Who are you going with?

No one.

Are you going alone?

Yes.

ALL alone?

Yes.

Don't you want to go with someone else?

No.

I'd like to go.

I'll give you my travel agent's name and phone number, maybe she can find you something.

But you are going to pay double to go alone.

That's okay.

I'd really like to go. Can I go with you?

I looked her straight in the eye and said:

"Normally, people go on vacation with people they like. Suzanne, you don't like me. Why would I want to spend a week with someone who does not like me? I'd rather be alone. I have no interest in traveling with you."

And I went back to work.

She was speechless. Our boss - who was in on the secret - laughed so hard that he had to leave the room. And she returned to her desk. After that, she was much nicer to me. Go figure.

It really was funny - still is! I brought it up to the boss a few weeks ago and we both had another good laugh about it.

Liz

I planned my NCL Western Med cruise as a solo and tried to keep it low-key at work - lots of haters in my office, unfortunately. I especially wanted to be sure that a very mean (yes, mean) girl in the office did not find out. She's a smoker (gives me a headache as I am an ex-smoker) and pretty heavy drinker (not conducive to a port-intensive itinerary) and we just have nothing in common; in addition, she had made some very hateful comments to me in the past. Well, someone let the cat out of the bag about a month before the trip. The girl ran up to my desk and asked me if it was true, and I said yes, I was going on the cruise. here's the rest of the conversation:

Who are you going with?

No one.

Are you going alone?

Yes.

ALL alone?

Yes.

Don't you want to go with someone else?

No.

I'd like to go.

I'll give you my travel agent's name and phone number, maybe she can find you something.

But you are going to pay double to go alone.

That's okay.

I'd really like to go. Can I go with you?

I looked her straight in the eye and said:

"Normally, people go on vacation with people they like. Suzanne, you don't like me. Why would I want to spend a week with someone who does not like me? I'd rather be alone. I have no interest in traveling with you."

And I went back to work.

She was speechless. Our boss - who was in on the secret - laughed so hard that he had to leave the room. And she returned to her desk. After that, she was much nicer to me. Go figure.

It really was funny - still is! I brought it up to the boss a few weeks ago and we both had another good laugh about it.

Liz

Quite a story! Bet she quit bothering you from that time on too.

My office? Nobody I would consider a "hater"....strong word for sure.

Actually, I have worked in the same office for 20 years and we all

get along pretty well, although most of us are not socially friendly

(outside of work) and that is ok with me. I never have to worry about

someone inviting themselves to go on one my cruises;)

Liz

Wow, your co-worker sounds completely clueless. It's good you were able to speak to her so frankly. Sounds like she got a much needed wake up call.

And I hate that sort of interrogation about your exact travel circumstances & why you'd want to do that. If you aren't good friends I don't understand why she'd need to get into your business like that.

Wow, your co-worker sounds completely clueless. It's good you were able to speak to her so frankly. Sounds like she got a much needed wake up call.

And I hate that sort of interrogation about your exact travel circumstances & why you'd want to do that. If you aren't good friends I don't understand why she'd need to get into your business like that.

Because she sounds like the type of person who wants to get

in "everybody's business":rolleyes::eek:.

• 1 month later...

I have a perfect, built-in excuse, sorta :p I have lived alone most of my adult life and I am just not willing to share such a small, intimate space with another human (kinda like what koko1 said). I had to tell someone that recently, and there was silence for a little bit, but the person got over it. I love my friends and relatives, but on this I will not compromise. I'm not even sure I'd want them on the same cruise with me since I would feel obligated to be with them most of the time.

I'm probably more direct than most people but it prevents misunderstandings; Liz and I have a lot in common! I am not going to just grin and bear it, life is too short!!

Shae, the only way to do this is not tell the person you're going on the cruise. What they don't know, can't hurt YOU. And if you're going solo, it's pretty easy to keep it a secret. If it were a group situation, it could be a little easier because you could keep busy with the group and avoid the unwanted person. But as a solo, book your cruise and keep it to yourself, until a couple of days before the cruise.

I'm actually laughing about what the comments will be as well....its my sister n law, I don't like hanging out with her, I can't be my fun self, neither can my friends, she is like a party pooper lol. If I wasn't married to her husbands twin brother, lol she would definetly be a person I would NEVER hang out with.

Whew this post had me concerned

I live in DALLAS too

I have a twin Brother too

My twin brothers girl is named Shae(Babe) too

but thankfully I don't think they are married just yet-unless they hit Vegas recently.

Whew this post had me concerned

I live in DALLAS too

I have a twin Brother too

My twin brothers girl is named Shae(Babe) too

but thankfully I don't think they are married just yet-unless they hit Vegas recently.

OK nobody will believe this-the chances of this are in thr Trillions but that twin brother of mine just called me on way back from Vegas to tell me he is getting married to his Shae-still different groups of people because none of us are cruising together and I'm single

This is easy. First...don't let them know until a few day before you go. By that time hopefully the cruise is sold out. If they ask you why didn't ask them to go just say..."sorry, it just sort of slip by mind" or "I didn't think you'd be interested", etc. and then change the subject quickly and move on. Yes, it's a little white lie, but it much better then directly telling them you didn't want them to go. Hopefully they'll get the hint.

If they should find out several months before the cruise...then there's much you can do about it. You can't tell someone they can't go. However, if they really want to go...fine, but do NOT help them with the booking. Let them call the TA make the arrangements and arrange their own cabin. If they want to share...just let them know in a very polite way that's not an option and you prefer the privacy of your own cabin. That's hard to debate that with anyone. Unless they have the traveling companion the single supplement might scare them from booking the cruise in the first place.

Always set clear rules & boundaries with anyone you cruise with when and how much time you will spend with them. Just do it in a polite and direct matter just so there is no misunderstandings. Most people are very respectable and understanding. Some people aren't and you must be upfront and direct. It's your cruise too and you need your privacy and space! It's a big ship and you might not see too much of them anyway.

I think I've got it pretty well covered as to anyone sharing a room with me because I have a studio on the Epic. However, how do I make it clear that I don't want this one certain person to hang with me? I mean, once in a while is fine, but I don't want a clinging vine that chokes off all my fun.

Archived