i dont want you to go with me

Shae Boogie

So, why is this on Carnival board again?

Because the Op has a legitimate cruise question she wanted answered.

I personally know what the Op is talking about. We had a couple (sister and BIL of my SIL) went with us on one of our cruises. By the end of the cruise, not only everybody in our group but total strangers were ready to throw him overboard. Complained about everything to anybody within hearing distance. If they couldn't hear, he'd move closer. We now don't even tell them when we cruise. Even SIL can't tolerate him.

I've never had this problem really. I went with my BFF and although she's more of a complainer, I told to chill out and enjoy it (she started complaining at the check-in with how long the line was!), she was on a cruise with her bff (and a first trip together after 15 years of friendship!). Either she started to enjoy it, or kept her mouth shut because she didn't really complain after that.

Ended up going on a cruise with my husband's ex-wife and daughter in-law's parents. Husband had a very contentious divorce hadn't spoken to her in 20 years so we were not looking forward to it. Since the ship was so large and so many different things to do we would have only had to see her at dinner. Quite frankly I enjoyed her and my husband remembered some of her good qualities. Go with a postitive attitude and make it a good cruise. We are going to cruise with my daughter in laws parents soon and while we would not choose to spend time with them we'll make the best of it. I say just go and make the best of it. Its a large vessel.

I personally wouldn't want to cruise with my in-laws! :eek: Which is why we never invite them when we book..

I think you should be fine though, OP. It seems that you'll be hanging out with a large enough group that she won't be stuck on you. And who knows, maybe she will meet a friend on board. Just keep a distance and you'll be OK. :)

Something that I frequently have to remind myself-never give someone so much power over you that you feel that they can ruin your day. You let them ruin your day, they do not purposely try to do so. Cruise happy, it's a big ship!:o:)

@Tapi...its my sister n law, I don't like hanging out with her, I can't be my fun self, neither can my friends, she is like a party pooper lol. If I wasn't married to her husbands twin brother, lol she would definetly be a person I would NEVER hang out with.

@ ShelbyNTX...I wouldn't care because I do everything by myself, party, cruising,driving out of state u name it. I'm not scared to be alone and still have fun.

Takeher to senor frogs get her plasterd then take lots of pictures, she might come around to having fun.

Our husbands will not be joining us. My hubby don't like cruising, so I go by myself or with friends. She just complains a lot, she is a debby downer sometimes.. but like others have said just do my own thing, maybe get her a couple drinks in her she'll be fine. Thanks everyone for the advice.

I wouldn't worry about it so much. I will be cruising with my DH's family and my mom and stepdad.19 of us. We all have different personalities and probaly differ in vacation styles also .We will do our own thing onboard and in port and just meet up for dinner. If someone likes the excursions I plan to go on they can join us .

My In-laws may see a side of me that they have never seen before.....Vacation me:D. If they don't like it that is their problem not mine.

Go, enjoy yourself, Don't worry be happy, and maybe you and SIL will be friends in the end.

In my experience, it does not matter whether you go with people you like or dislike, everyone should be clear before boarding that they are not going to spend the whole time with each other. It is the responsibility of each individual to make their own fun for their own vacation.

Then <hopefullly> there will be less stress on everyone and a good time will be had by all.:D

CJ

We cruised with two couples a few cruises back. Like them just fine but didn't want to spend all our time with them. Things just worked themselves out so that we actually only saw them at dinner, and we did some optional excursions together. On a large cruise ship you can get lost or lose someone pretty easily. Try to have breakfast and lunch on your own, and you can probably stand having dinner with the person in question. Hope you have a great cruise.

We went with some friends who live across the street from us on a cruise. They had never been. We organized everything, from plane tickets to pre and post hotel stays. When we planned the excursions they wanted to do everything we did and that was fine. We had cabins almost next to each other. We all got along great without any problems. The only problem we had was on one excursion we went to the Mayan ruins first and then went to a beach in Costa Maya after words. When we arrived at the beach my wife went into "shopping mode". The three of us just tagged along as my wife went in and out of shops doing her thing which is what I always do. Originally We had agreed that me and the other wife would get a massage at the beach. When we get there she changed her mind. I finally told them that they should go and do their thing and we would do our thing and we would meet up on the ship. Then I left and went and got a massage. I met up with my wife a couple of hours later and then we spent some time on the beach relaxing. I think they would have followed us around for hours which was fine, but I just wanted them to do something they wanted to do. When we met on the ship they were so pleased with themselves and all of the things they had bought in a different shopping area. After that they did what they wanted and when they wanted and so did we. We always had breakfast together, went on planned excursions together and had dinner and went to the shows together. We had a great time. We are going on another cruise in 6 months from now and looking forward to it.

Another time we flew to Las Vegas with some really good friends for 4 days. At the end of 4 days my wife and I wanted to KILL the other husband. I'm glad we didn't share a room or I would have killed him. He was a total ASS! After that trip we never really cared to associate with them much. We still have dinner occasionally with them, but that's about it.

Wiz

This is a great thread. I'm crusing with relatives & their friends & am a little nervous about it. We'll be the only couple without children, and one of my relatives is famous for trying to get others to babysit their 2 kids (age 3 & 9 or 10) so they don't have to pay for a sitter. Normally we'd probably do it for one night cuz we get all parents need a break, but my hubby & I haven't been on a real vacation since our 2 week honeymoon back in 2003 & are really looking forward to not only spending some time with the group but also with each other. We won't let a kid go overboard, but we're not babysitting either :)

Already told this relative that we aren't babysitting at all & if we just want to do our own thing when we say "Have fun! See you at dinner" you'll know that means see ya later. She's already labeled us selfish so that tells you something right there, and promised to keep up with us. With 2 little kids, I doubt they'll be able to but she can have fun trying.

Although we don't travel in groups much, we'll see how this plays out if it doesn't go well this will be our first & last vacation together. Hopefully that won't be the case. Hope it all works for the OP & have a great cruise!

Just a curious observation. Why is it that they have to stay home? If you do not get along with them and can not stand them then you should be the one to stay home. Sorry but I do not think you have the right to tell a person whether or not they can go on a cruise. Sounds ridiculous that you think that it is your cruise and you can invite or no invite anyone you want. Either get along or stay home your self. Ever think others might be thinking the same way about you and your spouse?? The decision is your to make.

I would sooo go and if she went.. no biggie... Go have fun, be yourself. And if she starts complaining - walk away. She will either straighten up or confront you. And just tell her it is my vacation and although your my sister in law - you are NOT going to ruin it for me. So lighten up and quit complaining or walk the plank.

Maybe she is wants to have fun but doesnt know how.. tell her to get a few drinks and maybe she will lighten up. So show her how to have a grand time !!!

Hope everything works out for you....

I am kind of having the same issue with my next two cruises. On my cruise this year, me(30) and the DH(27) are going on a group cruise thrown by his best friend. She invited us along and when we met up with her for lunch last month she told us about the other guests that might come. What she told us shocked us. The behavior that some of these guests displayed on the last cruise was something that I am not used to. Being that they are adults I was rather digusted. Especially when customs have to get involved. I am choosing to keep myself separate. I picked a room away from everyone else and we will probably only see them at dinner.

As for the 2nd cruise, next year I am cruising with my family. Everyone except for my family of 4 will be new to cruising. Therefore, I know that there will be a lot of questions that will have to be answered. I am explaining things to my mother as we go but my aunt. OMG...I love my aunt but she will drive you up the wall. The same questions over and over. Then she gets overly excited about the smallest thing and she won't stop going on about it. I plan on telling her to get a small book, write it down because I refuse to babysit on my vacation. Then I'll add that I love her.

I got stuck going on a cruise with someone I really didn't want to. My daughter's boyfriend. Unfortunately I bit my tongue most of the time and kept my mouth shut. I didn't want this person to ruin my cruise. I actually felt embarassed of him. I didn't want to hurt my daughters feeling so I made the best of a sticky situation. Unfortunately my daughter married the jerk and they now have a daughter, my 5th grandchild so I am stuck with him for now.

I don't know if this is posted somewhere but......Ok....has anyone ever had a group of people going on a cruise, but there is one person that wants to go but you REALLY DON'T want that person to go??? What do you tell that person without saying no..I'm blunt out with saying stuff but this situation I cant make up something. LOL!!! Please help

Its a public boat. tough one though. We almost had this issue. but then the couple decided not to go. but we decided we weren't going to even attempt to ask them not to go.

If it were me, I would be real careful about what I said. Like a previous poster said, you never know what is being said behind YOUR back too. That being said, I would just play dodgeball all the way. I would keep on trying to put off giving out any real details for as long as I could. Hopefully, she'll get the message.

I am kind of having the same issue with my next two cruises. On my cruise this year, me(30) and the DH(27) are going on a group cruise thrown by his best friend. She invited us along and when we met up with her for lunch last month she told us about the other guests that might come. What she told us shocked us. The behavior that some of these guests displayed on the last cruise was something that I am not used to. Being that they are adults I was rather digusted. Especially when customs have to get involved. I am choosing to keep myself separate. I picked a room away from everyone else and we will probably only see them at dinner.

As for the 2nd cruise, next year I am cruising with my family. Everyone except for my family of 4 will be new to cruising. Therefore, I know that there will be a lot of questions that will have to be answered. I am explaining things to my mother as we go but my aunt. OMG...I love my aunt but she will drive you up the wall. The same questions over and over. Then she gets overly excited about the smallest thing and she won't stop going on about it. I plan on telling her to get a small book, write it down because I refuse to babysit on my vacation. Then I'll add that I love her.

Okay - so my question is - why are you going. It sounds like a no go right from the beginning. When we cruise we just book and don't tell anyone. I love our family and friends and will have dinners, bbqs, martini nights,movie nights etc. With a cruise you are locked into 7? days with people you may or may not like, may or may not get along with, may or may not want to spend that much time with, put up with stupid behaviour, babysit, etc etc. A cruise is my time away from all the hassle, fights, idiosyncrasies, electronics etc. If you choose to do this then you have suck it up and put up.

I have had this happen with family in Sept. What I did was plan a REDO cruise four months later and that cruise was awsome because that person was not there to ruin it.

Carnival Conquest-10/11 booked

Carnival Ecstasy - 2/11

Carnival Ecstasy- 9/10

Carnival Dream_ 2/10

Carnival Sensation-10/09

Carnival Conquest-2/09

Carnival Destiny- 2/08

Carnival Triumph- 3/07

Carnival Destiny- 10/04 Honeymoon

Archived