All Things Explorer of the Seas! -- Part 2

• Administrators

Welcome to Part 2 of All Things Explorer of the Seas.

This new thread was created to ensure continued enjoyment of your cruise conversations :D.

Don’t forget to subscribe to this thread to receive notifications. Click on: Thread Tools > Choose: Subscribe to this Thread

I recently got addicted to Radio's "LIVE from" posts and wanted to read about his cruises on Explorer. I will be sailing on her this December. Although I have sailed on her before, it has been awhile and I was curious about what changes have happened.

The first LIVE thread about one of his cruises on Explorer talked about a substantial delay in Explorer's arrival time at port as well as her departure time. Does this happen often? I am concerned about flight times. I plan to fly home mid afternoon of the day the cruise returns. I'm giving myself lots of time, but the kind of delay Radio experienced would make me miss my flight. Would RCI compensate travellers for this?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Edited by essgee_ca

essgee_ca,

DW, DS and I were also on that cruise, our first on EX. The arrival delay was due to the Captain searching for a waiter who jumped overboard, he has not been found. Captain Olav, as all ships Captains, have an obligation to assist in the search for anyone who is missing from the ship until relieved by the Authorities responsible for the search and rescue. On that sailing we sailed at midnight with muster the next day (they have 24 hours after sailing to do muster). Our second sailing left on time from Bayonne. I would plan for her to arrive and leave on time. If my memory serves me correctly, RCI did allow free telephone and assistance re-arranging flights and other travel plans.

By the way, if you go to Radio's "Live from Allure" thread there are links to his reviews of all his "Live from...." cruises.

Edited by MedicKen

Thanks for this thread. The other one is a little daunting. We went on our first Explorer cruise in April and have another planned for April 2012.

I read on the Cruise Director thread that Chris Northey is no longer on the Explorer (an not with RCCL anymore). Bummer.

I will be on the Explorer for the first time in April, Anyone have any "must do's" on the ship? It will be 9 nights and we are going to Bermuda, St. Thomas, St. Martin and San Juan. I think I am more excited about the ship than the ports! :D Also, does anyone have any recent compasses? What about Teen compasses? I found 5 night but I was looking for longer.

Thanks,

Loralie

The main dining room for lunch at Bistro 33 (at least I think thats what it is called) Is a must. I crave the salad bar!! It is my favorite anywhere, unlimited choices and they do it for you. Superb. 18 days til Exp!!

Glad a new thread was started, it will be much easier to get info. We are sailing her in July and I can't get an appointment for a couples massage. Everything is booked! Has anyone ever experienced this? Should I wait till we board and hope a lot of people have cancelled?

Also, still can't decide what to do in St. Thomas, we have been there once and have gone to Megans Bay and done the shopping thing. We want a really nice beach for snorkeling, some amenities would be nice too. Any ideas would be appreciated, our kids are 14 and 16.

Has anyone done the swimming with the turtles excursion?

Who is the current Concierge on the Explorer?

And, with the Diamonds having their own venue, is the Lounge less crowded?

Two years ago the CL was so crowded we could not get in on some nights, let alone drink service.

Who is the current Concierge on the Explorer?

And, with the Diamonds having their own venue, is the Lounge less crowded?

Two years ago the CL was so crowded we could not get in on some nights, let alone drink service.

3 weeks ago the Concierge on Explorer was Carlos. When we were in the lounge it was rarely crowded. You could always get a seat and drink service.

Glad a new thread was started, it will be much easier to get info. We are sailing her in July and I can't get an appointment for a couples massage. Everything is booked! Has anyone ever experienced this? Should I wait till we board and hope a lot of people have cancelled?

Also, still can't decide what to do in St. Thomas, we have been there once and have gone to Megans Bay and done the shopping thing. We want a really nice beach for snorkeling, some amenities would be nice too. Any ideas would be appreciated, our kids are 14 and 16.

Has anyone done the swimming with the turtles excursion?

we are doing the fury excursion in the morning for snorkeling and then going to sapphire beach for relaxation and additional snorkeling..

Sapphire gets great reviews in the st. thomas thread and there is a link to a web cam there

We are booked on her 3 times between October 2011 and March 2012. Doing three different itineraries, three different lengths of days, and three different types of cabins.

I would like to know about the paint issue at the pier. How much is parking per day?

Is it crowded at the suite pool area that is sectioned off? Is it a big area?

What time is Diamond lounge happy hour? Is it the same for cocktail hour if you are in a suite? I realize they are in different locations. I am a Diamond member and have a suite on one of my sailings.

Thanks for the new thread and answers.

Edited by familyof4cruising

3 weeks ago the Concierge on Explorer was Carlos. When we were in the lounge it was rarely crowded. You could always get a seat and drink service.

Carlos. Good. Two years ago we accidentally "Stiffed" him a tip. We looked for him but could not find him until it was too late. :(

That was 2 years ago. I wonder if he will remember us, Should I bring it up and apologize, and should I tip him for 2 years ago?

I think I'll do the right thing IMO, bring it up, apologize, and slip him something. That can set a good tone for the rest of our cruise.:rolleyes:

Edited by B-52

Can anyone recently off the Explorer tell me if they still have washclothes? I have been reading some threads that people have said their ship did not have washclothes.

Thanks

Can anyone recently off the Explorer tell me if they still have washclothes? I have been reading some threads that people have said their ship did not have washclothes.

Thanks

Yes, of course they have washclothes. I think there was a rumor started months ago about a different ship not supplying washclothes, but they all have washclothes.