Cruise Critic Community
alphomegait

Fast Food in the UK

The fastfood joints like Maccas etc ok if you re on the Motorways. I used to like the 'Little Chefs' they had on the UK 'A' roads. Yes OZ has all the takeaways just like UK, but we are not into the chips and curry sauce yet!

Of course these days just about every cruiseship has its burger bar and pizaa joint. Mmm, what about Cunard, Burgers on deck there? Served by white gloved waiters?

I just wonder how long it will be before Carnival Corp gets KFC or Maccas on board it lines - P&O, Princess, HAL, Costa etc, but surely not Cunard!

Hi, Les....P&O's Ventura already has the Costa coffee chain on board (NOT related to Costa cruises!), so I don't think it will be long......:rolleyes:

Jo.

Thanks..Princess coffee is VERY ordinary for those of you who have cruised Princess. The only drinkable coffee on Princess is via purchase of the coffee card.

Hope P&O coffee is drinkable.

What...:eek:

Well I trust you can you still get "Bettys Hot Pot" at pubs like the Rovers.:)

Oh, yes, plenty of pub grub around.

Whether Betty's still around to cook it is a different matter.....:confused:

Jo.

Not so fast food but still a chain is Nando s chicken

Aaaah...Nando's-much nicer than KFC.

Nando's was started in South Africa where they are far bigger than here in the UK. KFC is also big in South Africa along with Wimpy.

Oh, yes, plenty of pub grub around.

Whether Betty's still around to cook it is a different matter.....:confused:

Jo.

Oh Dear....

She is still cooking up a storm down here in NZ....

but then , our programmes are a little behind:D

"Got any batter scraps please, mister?"

John Bull (aged 7) :)

And New Salt aged 67! Love em.

i always thought those kababs slowly turning was elephant foot.....:p You cant beat a good chippy with curry sauce or Rissoles (in wales). Never tried the deep fried mars bar or mince pie yet....

Mcd's kfc and BK are an option but not cheap anymore.

i always thought those kababs slowly turning was elephant foot.....:p You cant beat a good chippy with curry sauce or Rissoles (in wales). Never tried the deep fried mars bar or mince pie yet....

Mcd's kfc and BK are an option but not cheap anymore.

You've got me drooling now for some chips, chicken curry of the bone and a rissole from Caroline St in Cardiff............................:D:D:D

For all the folks on this board that bad mouth McDonald's, they seem to be doing a thriving business all over the whole World.

I'm from Southern California, and I was astounded in Sydney Australia in 1995, to see a McCafe with coffees, lattes, cappucinos, etc. and it was packed. Our McD's didn't have that sort of thing then. Now it's all the rage.

And in Budapest Hungary, an old Central Train Station was rejuvenated as a McDonalds. The elegant chandeliers and gorgeous wood isn't found at any McDs I've been to here in the States. It was gorgeous, and it was packed with folks.

I was all set to read about local "fish & chips" places. That's my idea of fast food in England. Happy travels to all.

We have McCafe here in Malta and I've seen them in many countries in Europe. Once in Paris there was a sudden downpour and we dashed into a Mc D. It was about 10 am and they had sweet or savour breakfasts. We had one of each. There was a container of about 8 little items - sweet or savoury - and they were delicious. The coffee was good too.

You evil, evil people, making me want chips, curry sauce and mushy peas.

Only thing I can get here is McD's (£8 for big mac :eek: ) or a dried up donner kebab.

Cant wait to be in the UK end of November for a good fish supper, battered sausage, chips and all the trimmings.

On behalf of all Anglophile Yanks, we apologize....................

Ah, so not from Isengard after all!

Trees falling, smoke rising...the occasional troll...yeah, I'm in Isengard, I think. I'd rather be in the Brecon Beacons!:D

Trees falling, smoke rising...the occasional troll...yeah, I'm in Isengard, I think. I'd rather be in the Brecon Beacons!:D

i wish we had the food that is on diner dives and drive ins that is on food network the american food looks lovely although it is a heart attack waiting to happen. it would be nice if we had a proper american diner i dont like fridays, frankie and bennys etc. we are going on the independence so hoping to try johnny rockets hope this will be genuine american food. with regards to chippy alley in cardiff not a great place at night but dorothys is a good chip shop.

I've never been happy to eat KFC since, about 1980, apparently the KFC in Crawley was prosecuted for serving Kentucky Fried Alsation.

Not a big fan of McDs, although I have been know to succumb when desperate for something approaching savoury food. I will have the occasional Burger King, but only when I'm some distance from home, as we don't have one here!

Not been to Subway in the UK, but DS is a big fan.

My favourite 'fast food' joints, although not terribly fast, are the OK Diners we sometimes frequent on long trips down the A1 (eg driving down to the Channel Tunnel from North Yorkshire, there is one somewhere in the vicinity of Peterborough) and it is a bit of a naughty treat rather than the refuelling chore at most service stations on the motorway.

I think one of the worst meals I've ever had was in Wendy's, so I'm happy they haven't made it over the pond.

Now, if we were talking IHOP or Friendly's that would be the business! And rumour has it there are many bits of the country (other than here) where you can get Krispy Kreme donuts ...

I've never been happy to eat KFC since, about 1980, apparently the KFC in Crawley was prosecuted for serving Kentucky Fried Alsation.

Not a big fan of McDs, although I have been know to succumb when desperate for something approaching savoury food. I will have the occasional Burger King, but only when I'm some distance from home, as we don't have one here!

Not been to Subway in the UK, but DS is a big fan.

My favourite 'fast food' joints, although not terribly fast, are the OK Diners we sometimes frequent on long trips down the A1 (eg driving down to the Channel Tunnel from North Yorkshire, there is one somewhere in the vicinity of Peterborough) and it is a bit of a naughty treat rather than the refuelling chore at most service stations on the motorway.

I think one of the worst meals I've ever had was in Wendy's, so I'm happy they haven't made it over the pond.

Now, if we were talking IHOP or Friendly's that would be the business! And rumour has it there are many bits of the country (other than here) where you can get Krispy Kreme donuts ...

You can get these is Cardiff now, people were queueing overnight!!!!:eek::eek::eek: for the opening. These and Dunkin Donuts are probably the most foul food ever made IMO.

Aaaah...Nando's-much nicer than KFC.

Nando's was started in South Africa where they are far bigger than here in the UK. KFC is also big in South Africa along with Wimpy.

I think Wimpy is now owned by a South African Company

I think Wimpy is now owned by a South African Company

When I was young, Wimpy was the only fast food place, other than fish and chips or beans on toast in cafes. There were a lot of Cypriot coffee bars opening up, which we thought were very classy. The filling in the bread rolls oozed out of the sides, but inside was just lettuce.....:(.

Real coffee, though, from a vast machine which hissed....:)

Jo.

Mc D's seem to be much more consistent than KFC. They are both franchises of course but I suspect that Ron is much more in control than The Colonel. I have not found a bad Subway yet.

When my sister toured in America she found Wendy's to be the best - although she and her husband happily shared one meal between the two of them.

Edited by Bob++

There's a Subway in our local town....I haven't noticed that the nearby Greggs has lost its queues, though!

Jo.

There's a Subway in our local town....I haven't noticed that the nearby Greggs has lost its queues, though!

Jo.

there are two subways in kilmarnock and two greggs, never seen big queues at any of the subways but nearly always queues at both greggs.