26 hour stop over in Iceland

I was so glad to see your post! We arrive just before midnight and leave at 7:50 am two days later. Our hotel can pick us up for around 78 Euros. Would you take a taxi instead? Also, do you think we can do the circle tour blue lagoon the next day or is that too much for our short trip? What would you do in Reykjavik?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks very much!

I was so glad to see your post! We arrive just before midnight and leave at 7:50 am two days later. Our hotel can pick us up for around 78 Euros. Would you take a taxi instead? Also' date=' do you think we can do the circle tour blue lagoon the next day or is that too much for our short trip? What would you do in Reykjavik?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks very much![/quote']

Does the "Fly bus" run at that time of night, we paid only 31 euro.

If I am ready correctly you only have one full day in Iceland. I would take the Blue Lagoon and Golden Circle Afternoon. Or the City Sightseening and Golden Circle Afternoon.

Go to Iceland Excursions Gray Line Iceland to see all they offer. Iceland is so set up for these stopovers.

We arrived at 3pm took the Fly Bus to our hotel. At 5pm checked in and had a bite to eat. at 6:30 we were picked up at our hotel to do the "evening circle tour" which arrived back at our hotel at midnight (still light out). Next day walked around Reykjavik and was picked up for the "blue Lagoon / airport drop off. Our luggage stayed on the bus as we had a dip in the Blue Lagoon (expensive 50.00 and not included in the tour prices) then they dropped us off for our flight home . So we were only in Iceland for 26 hours!

I used Viator from home so I paid in Canadian dollars but the tours were Grayline.

There is also the Reykjanes Peninsula and Golden Circle Afternoon pickup is at 8:30am and lasts 10hours. You have a stop at the Lagoon but only for a look(free) not a swim. This looks like a really good tour if your not set on a swim in the Lagoon.

Iceland is wonderful! Karen

Have a great time Karen

whatever you do, don't miss the Blue Lagoon! bring your bathing suit (if you don't have a towel, they are for rent). I wear a shower cap at the B.Lagoon, because if the water gets on my hair, it turns it to straw - the Blue Lagoon has always been a stop "on the way to the airport" - shower cap may look funny, but I usually think "don't know any of these people" - lol.

whatever you do' date=' don't miss the Blue Lagoon! bring your bathing suit (if you don't have a towel, they are for rent). I wear a shower cap at the B.Lagoon, because if the water gets on my hair, it turns it to straw - the Blue Lagoon has always been a stop "on the way to the airport" - shower cap may look funny, but I usually think "don't know any of these people" - lol.[/quote']

The only issue is that the poster has to fly back out of Iceland at 7:30 am so it would not be "on the way to the airport" for them. It would be a big part of the limited time they have in Iceland. So they need to decide if they want to swim in the Lagoon or only see it, then they can decide on what tour to do.

I my opinion the don't miss is the "circle tour". Karen

• 4 months later...

Dear Friends,

I noticed you have a lot of questions regarding coming to Iceland because for most of you it is first time in Iceland and you don´t know what to expect. I have been in the same situation before coming to Iceland first time and I even didn´t know if Polar bears live in Iceland.

I already move to Iceland and got inspired of that place so here you have some tips before coming.

1. RENTING a CAR or TOUR

I think it strongly depends on you.

You can just rent a CAR in the Port of Reykjavik or booked it before by IcelandOnline. Com and car will wait for you in the Port of Reykjavik or Akureyri. Don´t forget to rent also GPS because otherwise you can be a little bit lost.

There is a huge offer of different TOURS from Reykjavik and few from Akureyri. You can buy the in the Port of Reykjavik of book it by icelandonline. When you are booking tours by other companies by sure they have pick up from the Port. (Available tours are presented in the point 5[/color])

2. SHUTTLE BUS

There is a shuttle bus going from the Reykjavik Port to the center of Reykjavik where you can take a wake and visit museums, churches and many other atractions listed in point 5 - REYKJAVIK

Taxis are quite expensive so I´m not recommending you to take them.

3. DO YOU NEED ICELANDIC MONEY?

In most of the places you can pay in EUROS and US DOLLAR, but if you would like to get some Icelandic currency you can buy it in the Port of Reykjavik.

However keep in mind that they accept debit and credit carts mostly everywhere.

It is good to have some change for Shuttle bus in your pocket, it can be ICELANDIC KRONA, USD, EURO or even BRITISH POUND.

4. WHERE TO EAT

Instead of telling you all good restaurants I would like to start with Icelandic cuisines. 1. Lamb - probably it is the best lamb meat in the world, 2. Fish - all kinds, 3. Whale, 4. Shark - not everybody will like it, because of the smell, 4. Skyr - Icelandic yogurt, 5. Cheese cake. 6. Icelandic beer.

There are many good places as Geysir where maybe you can get discount if you will show shuttle bus ticket or you can just step in to the Tourist information next to the Shuttle bus stop and they will find perfect restaurant for you for FREE! I could write some restaurants, but there are all the time new cool places are open, so they will be more on time.

5. TOP PLACES and ATTRACTIONS

FROM REYKJAVIK HARBOUR

1. BLUE LAGOON SPA

2. GOLDEN CIRCLE

3. WHALE WATCHING

4. HORESE BACK RIDING

5. REYKJAVIK Reykjavik was chosen as a top city to visit by Lonely Planet readers in 2011 and you will have an opportunity to check what makes it so special. Don´t forget to visit:

- HARPA- spectacular concerts and conferences center,

- Alþingishúsið — the Icelandic parliament,

- National Centre for Cultural Heritage,

- Hallgrímskirkja — the largest church in Iceland,

- Höfði — the house in which Gorbachev and Reagan met in 1986 for the Iceland Summit,

- Laugavegur — main shopping street,

- Perlan — a glass dome resting on five water tanks,

- Ráðhús Reykjavíkur — city hall,

- Tjörnin — the pond,

- National Museum of Iceland (Þjóðminjasafnið)

6. ICELAND FROM THE AIR

7. JEEP TOURS

8. DIVING IN ICELAND

9. FISHING IN ICELAND For those of you who love fishing.

FROM AKUREYRI HARBOUR

1. LAKE MYVATN

2. ICELANDIC CHURCHES

4. AKUREYRI CITY & BOTANIC GARDEN

307530_264878156875005_127039993992156_1021951_479640_n.jpg315944_264911223538365_127039993992156_1022021_2745453_n.jpg

296715_264910916871729_127039993992156_1022013_6553203_n.jpg296185_264878420208312_127039993992156_1021958_2091692_n.jpg

Archived