wine policy on Royal Caribbean

are you allowed to bring bottles of wine on board with Royal Caribbean?

if so, how many?

No, RC does not allow alcohol to be brought on board. Some people will try smuggling it, but if caught, it will be kept and returned at the end of your cruise.

Sherri:)

Don't count on it being returned if you get caught smuggling wine or liquor. On our last cruise 6 months ago my BIL got caught with 2 bottles of scotch in his checked luggage and they poured it out right in front of him. $50 per each bottle! Needless to say he won't try that again!

Yes, policy seems to have shifted (and even so is not followed consistantly) to be different on embarkation day. If read closely it seems to say at that time it will not be returned but for purchases at ports it will be - and that might only be if you voluntarily declare it and ask for it to be stored. Smuggling anything at a port might be considered smuggling same as at embarkation. I suppose you could declare it at embarkation if you had purchased something special at that port - such as Rum in San Juan - and get it back at cruise end. And definitely anything that has been previously opened or is in an alternative container will be dumped.

No, RC does not allow alcohol to be brought on board. Some people will try smuggling it, but if caught, it will be kept and returned at the end of your cruise.

Sherri:)

Maybe, maybe not. We took some wine once that was not returned.

I thought your were allowed to bring a bottle or two of wine on to the ship and that you could drink it in the MDR as long as you paid a corkage fee. Is that no longer the case with RCCL?

I thought your were allowed to bring a bottle or two of wine on to the ship and that you could drink it in the MDR as long as you paid a corkage fee. Is that no longer the case with RCCL?

Used to, but no longer allowed. Whether it be increasing the bottom or line or too many cheaters...who knows. :confused:

The policy has always been that you couldn't bring alcohol onboard, but it wasn't always enforced until a couple of years ago. Also, there were services that would deliver alcohol to you onboard, so they would charge you corkage on that.

Now, although in theory no wine gets onboard, the policy is that they'll charge you corkage for wine that you purchase through Gifts & Gear, order as a Diamond Plus amenity or receive as a gift. Even though it's all their wine in the first place.:rolleyes:

Prior to boarding you can pre-order from the Wine Cellar and have it delivered to your cabin or to the MDR.

Whether it be increasing the bottom or line or too many cheaters...who knows

Another factor is perhaps terms in the settlement of the Smith case with his widow. There was a program set up to promote sobriety at sea and RCI had to establish a program to control alcohol use. Whther that was partly a self-serving move for revenue reasons or an actual attempt to be able to monitor consumption (through ship purchases) or some combo is hard to tell. But that case seemed to coincide with the stricter policy. This has been recent enough that cruisers from other more enlightened lines coming back to RCI are often surprised. I sometimes wonder if the business lost by this policy might not have been the most expensive part of the settlement. Then again maybe it is a wash with the extra shipboard sales.

• 3 months later...
are you allowed to bring bottles of wine on board with Royal Caribbean?

if so, how many?

No!! No!! No!!........Just got back from Allure 9/11 cruise, where I had 4 "single glass" bottles confiscated from my carry on. and I was given a receipt to collect them when we left the ship the following Sunday. These were not concealed in any way.

Even my 6 small bottles of water (shrunkwrapped and sealed ) went under scrutiny. :mad:

Next to me, people were having rum runners confiscated.

The funny thing was, they were returned to me, by my cabin attendant, on the Thursday evening - so we drank them onboard anyway!! :D

Archived