CB technical issues

acruisingpeach23

In san juan pr and received word that there are some technical difficulties. We are receiving 50 obc per person, leaving st thomas an hr earlier and being delayed by two hrs for our arrival in bermuda but we are staying an hr later. All is well and i will be doing a thorough review on monday :)

Interesting. Something almost identical happened on the same itinerary for us (on the CB) almost exactly 3 years ago. Didn't have much of a negative impact on our enjoyment, and I hope it doesn't adversely affect your cruise, either. Will be interested to hear what's up.

That is very nice that they are giving you OBC

Was on the Crown in 2006 (same itinerary) and we missed Bermuda due to a hurricane. No OBC was given.

Hey, we were on that cruise! In fact, that was the cruise DH and I were married on. With Hurricane Florence hitting Bermuda, we were very happy that Captain Binetti decided to divert. Even with the diversion, the seas were pretty rough. Bad weather is no fault of Princess though. It took us until last month to finally make it to Bermuda (on the CB this time) since we didn't get to go in 2006.

Glad to see Princess is taking care of the passengers on the CB due to the inconvenience.

That is very nice that they are giving you OBC

Was on the Crown in 2006 (same itinerary) and we missed Bermuda due to a hurricane. No OBC was given.

A problem with the ship is completely different than weather issues. I would not expect OBC for weather-related issues, such as diverting to or missing a port because of a hurricane.

The Captain said it is a problem with a diesel generator that requires we travel at a reduced speed. Last night we maxed out at 17.8 knots. We also left two people on the dock at St Thomas! They pulled up in a taxi after the lines were released - maybe confused with us leaving 1 hr earlier.

The Captain said it is a problem with a diesel generator that requires we travel at a reduced speed. Last night we maxed out at 17.8 knots. We also left two people on the dock at St Thomas! They pulled up in a taxi after the lines were released - maybe confused with us leaving 1 hr earlier.

Thanks for the update. I feel bad for the 2 left behind in St. Thomas. Not that I ever want to be left behind, but St. Thomas isn't such a bad island for that to happen on. :D

The Captain said it is a problem with a diesel generator that requires we travel at a reduced speed. Last night we maxed out at 17.8 knots.

WOW! That's exactly what happened to us in 2008!!!

We also left two people on the dock at St Thomas! They pulled up in a taxi after the lines were released - maybe confused with us leaving 1 hr earlier.

YIKES!!! They are going to be some very unhappy campers. Hope they have insurance. :eek:

so, might just be shot for saying this, but my wish is to be on a cruise that misses all the ports of call and shipboard credit for each of those missed ports. Hahaha....I must be really needing a cruise. I am so tired. I think I will hit the sheets in my stateroom and you might not see me again until it is time to disembark. I just feel like I have no energy to go out and see the sights....hope this goes away. I am set to cruise next week. yikes :eek:

We are on the CB right now. They did say it was a problem with the denial generator as another poster mentioned. Other than sailing slower, there really seems to be no other issues or problems on the ship as a result. The biggest impact was the short notice of the change going into St Thomas. We had a private excursion so we had to send the frantic email saying we needed to be back earlier. Worked out fine in the end. I am sure some other folks have the same issue in Bermuda. Oh well, bad day on the CB beats work.

Tim

Would this problem impact the next CB cruise? There is a 9-night Canada/New England cruise scheduled to depart on 6/13. Any chance this will cause them to delay sailing because they have to correct the diesel generator problem? Or is this a problem they can correct while they are sailing on the current cruise?

I ask because we are on the 6/22 sailing of the CB & I wondered if this problem would have any sort of trickle-down effect on future cruises.

Thanks for any info you might have.

Interesting. Something almost identical happened on the same itinerary for us (on the CB) almost exactly 3 years ago. Didn't have much of a negative impact on our enjoyment, and I hope it doesn't adversely affect your cruise, either. Will be interested to hear what's up.

We were on the July 1 cruise (on the CB) the same year as you. It might have been the one after your cruise. There was a problem with the air conditioning in general on the ship, in addition to the lowered cruising speed. Princess changed the itinerary from St. Martin to Tortola several days before the start of the cruise. I don't think that Princess has ever had St Martin on the itinerary from Brooklyn since that cruise. I still ponder if they took advantage of a mechanical problem to save money on the (rising) cost of fuel.

Hey, we were on that cruise! In fact, that was the cruise DH and I were married on. With Hurricane Florence hitting Bermuda, we were very happy that Captain Binetti decided to divert. Even with the diversion, the seas were pretty rough. Bad weather is no fault of Princess though. It took us until last month to finally make it to Bermuda (on the CB this time) since we didn't get to go in 2006.

Glad to see Princess is taking care of the passengers on the CB due to the inconvenience.

Congrats! That was my favorite cruise to date. :)

As an aside, a fellow passenger didnt understand. Hurricane Florence? But we're nowhere near Italy... :)

We were on the July 1 cruise (on the CB) the same year as you. It might have been the one after your cruise. There was a problem with the air conditioning in general on the ship, in addition to the lowered cruising speed. Princess changed the itinerary from St. Martin to Tortola several days before the start of the cruise. I don't think that Princess has ever had St Martin on the itinerary from Brooklyn since that cruise. I still ponder if they took advantage of a mechanical problem to save money on the (rising) cost of fuel.

Yup, we were on the cruise right before that, though our itinerary did not include St. Martin and was never supposed to. I think they were alternating itineraries that summer. We still had a very nice time. Don't really remember the AC being affected on our cruise.

Congrats! That was my favorite cruise to date. :)

As an aside, a fellow passenger didnt understand. Hurricane Florence? But we're nowhere near Italy... :)

Thanks! It was our favorite cruise to date as well even though we missed Bermuda. I know we were married on the cruise, but it was just an awesome cruise all around. I really hope Princess decides to sail out of NY again in the future as it's a definitely incentive for us to book and sail since we do not have to fly.

Welcome home! I'd love to know what happened with the people who missed the ship in St. Thomas. Is that wrong of me? :p

No, it's not wrong. Curiosity is human nature. I'd like to know as well. Hope that never happens to me!! :eek:

Archived