Wonder Cruise worth it w/ kids our age etc?

rlu929s

We've been saving for a vacation. Our plan was to go in a couple years to Disney World for a week with our kids. At that point they would be 4 and 7.

Well we were approached by family about possibly doing the Riveria Disney Cruise the week of Thanksgiving as a big multi-family vacation. At the time of the trip our kids would be 2 (just turned) and 4 (almost 5).

We're trying to decide if it'll be worth going with them and spending what we have saved or to wait and continue with our original plan.

Things to consider:

1. We've never been on a cruise.

2. My wife is claustrophobic.

3. I don't think either of use gets motion sickness, but we've never been on a cruise to know.

4. We'll have enough to get out there and do the cruise, but that's about it.

Would you do it? Do you think our kids will have a good time? I know they'd love Disney World.

Thanks

Go.....

Kids will have a great time, esp if they like Disney.

Lots of wide-open spaces, so no need to feel crowded. Think 'resort hotel'.

Some people get motion-sick, but unless weather is really bad, not a problem.

If you don't have extra $$, stay on-board. Explore the ship. Use the adults-only pool without having many people there..

Tough call... if you do the cruise, I'm sure you and your kids will have a wonderful time (we did Disney Magic in Feb. with our two girls, our youngest turned 2 on the cruise, and the oldest was 6 and both really enjoyed it).

However... at 2 and 4, the memories will really be yours, not theirs, as in the long run, the youngest really won't remember any of it, and even the older one may not remember much. If you wait and do WDW when they're 4 and 7, I'm betting the memories will last a lifetime...

Just got back from a few days from Disney World, did a cruise decades ago, took my kids to the mouse kingdom too many times.

IMHO its a healthy premium you pay. There are some really nice Disney touches for both Park and ship. If you got the dough and will cherish the magical moments do it. If you are tight I'd say save it for when they are older and can remember. I saw lots of parents pushing kids in strollers in 90+ degree weather and like my kids won't have nothing but digital kodak moments to prove they were there. That being said I cherished every visit with my children regardless of whether they remembered or not.

As to choosing one thing, I'd pick the Park over the cruise. Yes the ship is nice, the characters are nice, the shows are nice, the island is nice, but you get 90% of the experience without the mouse on a cheaper cruise, but there is only one Disney World.

We've been saving for a vacation. Our plan was to go in a couple years to Disney World for a week with our kids. At that point they would be 4 and 7.

Well we were approached by family about possibly doing the Riveria Disney Cruise the week of Thanksgiving as a big multi-family vacation. At the time of the trip our kids would be 2 (just turned) and 4 (almost 5).

We're trying to decide if it'll be worth going with them and spending what we have saved or to wait and continue with our original plan.

Things to consider:

1. We've never been on a cruise.

2. My wife is claustrophobic.

3. I don't think either of use gets motion sickness, but we've never been on a cruise to know.

4. We'll have enough to get out there and do the cruise, but that's about it.

Would you do it? Do you think our kids will have a good time? I know they'd love Disney World.

Thanks

I have to agree with marie73. The cruise will not be remembered by the kids and at their age, if you do not put them in the kids areas, which are excellent, YOU will lose much of the enjoyment. We waited til our kids were 3 and again for the grandkids to reach 3 for Disneyworld. The cruises we waited til everyone was six, memories created were priceless. By waiting, the prices will go up unfortunately, but Disney does the kids sail free occasionally and by waiting, you hopefully can afford to enjoy an excursion or two.

I would stick to your original plan. If you find you don't enjoy the experience as much as you hoped, you might feel like you were rushed into the cruise. Since Disney is not a cheap line to cruise, you want to make sure you all really enjoy it.

We did 3 nights on the Wonder in Feb 09 when our eldest was 4 and our youngest was a few months shy of 3. This meant that she couldn't go to the kids club, which she really wanted to do of course. You may encounter that difficulty with your little one too. There is a nursery, put this is a paid babysitting area, rather than the free kid's club.

While on board we booked a 7 night cruise on the Magic which we did this past December. Both girls loved the kids club and didn't want to leave. They were 4 and 6 at time of sailing and had a blast. They still talk about that trip almost weekly and keep asking when we can cruise again.

The nice thing about the Disney staterooms is that they are relatively well sized so your wife shouldn't be too distressed... especially if you book an outside or balcony cabin. We stayed in an inside on the 3 night with no issues in terms of size for the four of us and there are lots of public spaces that I'm sure she will enjoy.

Whether you cruise now or later, enjoy. Disney is a magic experience.

Jill

Thanks for the replies everyone.

I think based off what a lot have said here we're going to wait. If the family decided they want to go, we may do WDW in September.

We no the little one won't remember, but hope we can go back by 2013 or 2014.

Thanks Again!

Archived