Looking for around the world Freighter w/doctor

A freigher by definition is not allowed to carry more than twelve passengers, and therefore do not carry doctors. This is a definition made by international convention (SOLAS). You probably will need a doctor's certification that the passenger is in good health in order to sail. There are passenger freighters that carry doctors, but they do not go on around the world cruises, or even on long sea passages. I think you will have to settle on a cruise ship, and their around the world cruises are broken into segments of a week or two, and you could do the entire trip of about three months. Cruise ships will have several hundred to several thousand passengers, and do carry doctors.

• 4 weeks later...

At 84, your mother would be inelligible as the cut off age is typically 80. Freighters exist to deliver their cargo on time. They carry passengers because doing so gives them docking priority in busy ports. A freighter will also be inaccessible even to medivac helicopters for days at a time. So it's not a voyage for anybody in fragile health.

• 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My Mother got the same bug in her 70s, for Alaska freighter. and I was to be babysitter. Put them on original Island Princess(750 pass.m/l), and we were all happy.I assume this will be your role.too. Closest I can come to small boat around world, or parts of is Oceana Insignia, 2015. Its like a mini English club including cabins. Teas almost daily. Some of the best food out there with a couple n/c alternative restaurants.Under 700 passengers. I think they were talking of having a medical clinic on board for the World.Get some of their beautiful brochures.This is the Miami based line. Mother will love it.Think about it.

• 2 weeks later...
There must be a ship that does around the world, and has more than 14 passengers, and staffs a doctor...

My Step mother will be 84 next year and she really wants to do this.

G’Day WC

We sailed P&O Arcadia Melbourne to Southampton (46 nights) in April 2013 (this year) and met two ladies on board who were well into their 90s

One lady had emigrated to Australia about 50 years ago but her Daughter had remained in England. After the husband had died the old lady sold the house and moved into a unit for a few years, but the Daughter missed her Mother, and flew out to Australia to ‘bring her home’. They decided to make a holiday of it and Mum was having a great time!

The other lady was also travelling with her middle aged daughter, again going to England but just for a while to visit relatives

The medical clinic on board was amazing and the medical team quite wonderful. Both these older ladies were hale and hearty but it’s nice to know the team are there if you need them

The Arcadia was just a lovely ship and is an Adults Only ship. There was only a handful of passengers younger than, say, fourty and it was all very harmonious

We really enjoyed the evening shows ... we didn't have to 'go out', drive anywhere, find parking, worry about the weather. We saw some fabulous entertainers and if you aren't in the mood for putting on a sparkly top then you can get room service or go to the buffet 24 hours a day

My husband took to prowling at about 2am because he discovered that was when the fresh samosas were in the buffet for the night crews!

And at least when you look out the window you will see more than just the side of a container!

Hope this helps

Kristine

Archived