NCL Jade - Never again

Lovetoboogie

First of all there are usually two types of people who post on these boards the extreme positives and the extreme negitives - rarely do I see something inbetween. Plus the more negative the OP is - the more fuel is added to the positive replies. Looking up a poster's past posts (as was done here) will tell you if they are always positive or negative. You also have to look at the numbers - each cruise ship holds at least 2000 people, of that 2000 only a fraction subscribe to these web boards so if NCL fills every ship then they must be doing something right.

I have only sailed on NCL and it is because of the Freestyle Cruising. Back in 2002 we did our first cruise to Alaska, we studied all the brochures and decided that Freestyle on NCL would be the best option for us (we don't like to dress up while on vacation). Being that we were in a penthouse (an upgrade that our TA got us as we were celebrating our 25th wedding anniversery) we got to tour the ship's galley. That year the cruise line's chef was a former White House chef who had also published a book about food prepared for various presidents. While on the tour the chef aboard our ship (the Sky) explained that the cusine aboard ship varied with its location - when the Sky sailed in the south atlantic the food was of a lighter fair and had more rice, and chicken dishes, while up north in Alaska they featured more beef and potatos. When we cruised Hawaii in 05 they featured lots of fresh fruits and a more lighter fair - that said, you could always order steak and baked potato if you wanted. BTW we never went hungry on any of the three NCL crusies we have been on.

As for a wine steward, I have seen lots of them in the dining rooms on all of our NCL cruises. We are not into wine that much so we did not require their services.

A couple of last thoughts - from my old friend Jimmy Buffett - "

Searching is half the fun: life is much more manageable when thought of as a scavenger hunt as opposed to a surprise party." and "If life gives you limes, make margaritas."

Cheers

The OP makes some valid points but misses many other negatives that we discovered on Jewel.

Nobody warned me that the ship has art on the sides. Too visible. They should show this on the brochure.

I dressed for dinner at 8:30 every night. You know many others had chosen their own dining times. Terrible to not know what time to be hungry.

Not once did they say it was formal dress. So had to put our formals on each night just in case.

The ships currency was not GB pounds. How inconveient. I will also go back to P&O

I struggled to meet enough others to share my moans. So I'm back to P&O.

;)

Great post. Us Brits really like a good old moan about things, well some are never happy unless they have something to have a good moan about however trivial. I loved this post, couldn't have said the comment about P & O better myself.

Sorry you had such a bad time. We cruised on Jade two years ago and had a trip of a lifetime. Food was very good--way way better than I can make--and the bed was extremely comfortable. I was extremely disappointed that the captain didn't greet us immediately when we boarded and didn't carry our bags to our cabin, but other than that, it was a great cruise. I'm not making light of your low opinion of the ship--you're entitled to your opinion. We had a different experience.

I will not write a review one way or another I have enough stress in my life without having to defend anything I may write here. The original OP had the right to their opinion whether anyone here likes it or not. I am happy with the choice I made in cruises but am very concerned about the people I will be cruising with. These boards have made me very nervous.

My goodness, you are very stressed - and that is my opinion "whether anyone here likes it or not." I hope you have a wonderful cruise.

First off I didn't write the original review but I respect the OP right to state what he feels was wrong. I am going into the cruise with a very open mind and looking forward to a great time. But if these boards are a indication of what "cruisers" are like I'm not so sure a cruise is for me.

and you could be right: cruising isn't for everyone. You are giving it a shot, you might love it, but some, including my own daughter just does not like cruising. No, it isn't the cruisers themselves, all resorts and travel distinations have both postive and negatives.

The OP makes some valid points but misses many other negatives that we discovered on Jewel.

Nobody warned me that the ship has art on the sides. Too visible. They should show this on the brochure.

I dressed for dinner at 8:30 every night. You know many others had chosen their own dining times. Terrible to not know what time to be hungry.

Not once did they say it was formal dress. So had to put our formals on each night just in case.

The ships currency was not GB pounds. How inconveient. I will also go back to P&O

I struggled to meet enough others to share my moans. So I'm back to P&O.

;)

funny thing, they posted to ask about the dress a few months ago. Of course they knew, not to mention the Freestyle dailies talk about preferred dress daily.

Don't know where you see anything in my post stating I am ready to blast NCL. Again, though, because I defended the OP's right to say what he wanted to say I am negative. I'm not worried about NCL as I am very excited and don't expect anything bad to occur. I am a very easy to please person, it's the other CC members I'm worried about.

Maybe it has to do with comments like: if people on cruise ships are like some here cruising may not be for me and saying all those who defend NCL or any other lines are cheer leaders or you didn't pick up on the poster has only posted 5 times, four of those to blast cruises they have taken. he/she has a right, but in this case they obviously do not like cruising unless they can cruise luxury lines and even then, they only report the negative. Your defending them and mentioning you will not even bother to report back unless everything is perfect (para phrasing) sounds like you expect things not to go smoothly.

I hope you do come back and let everyone know how much you did enjoy your cruise. This doesn't mean negatives can not be mentioned.

Maybe it has to do with comments like: if people on cruise ships are like some here cruising may not be for me and saying all those who defend NCL or any other lines are cheer leaders or you didn't pick up on the poster has only posted 5 times, four of those to blast cruises they have taken. he/she has a right, but in this case they obviously do not like cruising unless they can cruise luxury lines and even then, they only report the negative. Your defending them and mentioning you will not even bother to report back unless everything is perfect (para phrasing) sounds like you expect things not to go smoothly.

I hope you do come back and let everyone know how much you did enjoy your cruise. This doesn't mean negatives can not be mentioned.

Please review your posting #31. Why the change of mind??????? I thought you were not going to engage in these debates....

As usual if you say anything negative you get beat up. Let the NCL cheerleaders continue......

I am taking my first cruise ever in 1 week and let me tell you that if it isn't absolutely wonderful I will not bother to let anyone know. I have never seen so much rah, rah in my life. These boards are "opinions" of cruisers. Not every cruiseline is right for everyone. There is no need to tell someone they are wrong if their opinion is not the same as yours. The OP stated what they didn't like, it doesn't make them right or wrong. It is not the first time that I have read someone didn't like the food, that doesn't bother me as we will eat in the speciality restaurants. This review, and others like it, didn't sway me one way or another but I like to read people's opinions regarding their cruises. I just wish others would stop the flaming everytime someone writes something negative.

I didn't think my reply (the first or second one of this thread) was a "flame". As everyone said, there HAD to be something good about the cruise besides the ports - one thing, anything! And the OP obviously had even their "facts" distorted - there are definitely more than three "free places" to eat - so by stating what she did, she is misleading others who might be considering the Jade.. I agreed with a few things she stated, and suggested ways to avoid these issues. EVERY vacation (cruise or other) has both positives and negatives - it's fine to state them both. But some people will never see anything good in anything (or anyone for that matter) and the opinions of those people need to be taken with a grain of salt if you are like the rest of us - normal, balanced, happy people. I hope you have a great cruise and come back and let us know all the good and the bad - it's always nice to hear from someone following their first cruising experience!

Robin

I didn't think my reply (the first or second one of this thread) was a "flame". As everyone said, there HAD to be something good about the cruise besides the ports - one thing, anything! And the OP obviously had even their "facts" distorted - there are definitely more than three "free places" to eat - so by stating what she did, she is misleading others who might be considering the Jade.. I agreed with a few things she stated, and suggested ways to avoid these issues. EVERY vacation (cruise or other) has both positives and negatives - it's fine to state them both. But some people will never see anything good in anything (or anyone for that matter) and the opinions of those people need to be taken with a grain of salt if you are like the rest of us - normal, balanced, happy people. I hope you have a great cruise and come back and let us know all the good and the bad - it's always nice to hear from someone following their first cruising experience!

Robin

I didn't find your response to be a flame at all. I thought it was a good response without being nasty and actually agreed with it. It was other responses that I felt were very nasty and unnecessary. We are very excited about our cruise and since it is our first trip in 28 years without our kids I doubt we could be disappointed. We are also very excited about freestyling as we are very laid back people.

I will not write a review one way or another I have enough stress in my life without having to defend anything I may write here. The original OP had the right to their opinion whether anyone here likes it or not. I am happy with the choice I made in cruises but am very concerned about the people I will be cruising with. These boards have made me very nervous.

Spend some time reading various other internet forums and you will discover that this kind of thing is not unique to people who cruise. It's how people are on internet message boards. Don't let it get to you. And certainly don't let it put you off going on your cruise! The fraction of cruisers who post here is very, very small compared to the number of cruisers out there so try keep things in perspective. It's not worth stressing over.

Just returned from two weeks with NCL Jade visiting adriatic coast - ports were brilliant which is why we chose this cruise line.

However, NCL's standards have dropped dramatically. Unless you want to pay extra (between $10 & $25) per head for a decent meal, the food is dreadful - tinned turkey, barely warm at that, beef fatty and tough, lots of lentils etc but potatoes a rarity, meagre portions (just as well). Vegetables unheard of. Didn't get a 'hot' meal the whole two weeks. Only three options for free food; one of them self service offering barely warm canteen type food. And for this they want $12 per person per day tips!

Smallest balcony cabin we've ever had; no room to move around.

No port information but plenty about where to purchase and what to buy; and of course their excursions.

Shows not up to standard that they used to do; even a crew talent show one evening which was repeated the second week. And of course, they were selling scratch cards at every opportunity.

Beds uncomfortable; two layers of foam sponge hiding the worn out mattress underneath.

Personally, we prefer to dress in the evenings. However, NCL encourage staying in holiday wear, i.e. shorts, t-shirts, vests etc. Not what I want to see whilst eating dinner.

Never again.

We cruised the Jade and had a wonderful time in April. Unfortunate that you did not have a good experience. We would recommend this ship and NCL. The ship was always clean, we often ate at the buffet, and tried the 2-for-1 specials at the restaurants. We enjoyed everything...:)

We just returned from an Ncl cruise. The food was good, service---fine, entertainment was good, and the bed could compare to sleeping on a cloud. One reason that we choose NCL, is we do not like the required "costume of the evening," mandatory on other lines.

Archived