First time cruisers - off to Alaska!!

ThirstyTurtle

We are leaving this week...heading to Alaska aboard the Celebrity Infinity!!

We'll be with traveling my father in law and his wife who are not only veteran cruisers, but own a travel agency. They've given us so much info we feel pretty prepared. Day trips booked and we got the package that includes alcohol so we will be happy, happy!

They've cruised so much that there are a few things that they don't think about anymore...it's just second nature. They pack very light and have told us to just take comfortable stuff and a jacket. They don't do anything dressy or formal, and kind of glossed over our questions about that, saying oh you don't have to do any of that. Not rudely, not ugly, it's just the approach they take.

So...is it fun or worth it to do the dressy nights? How does that work? It's our 20th anniversary as well as my birthday and we want it to be special and really memorable.

It looks like the weather will be in the low 60's and rainy. Is layering the best approach for clothes? I read several posts that say pack less than you thing you need. We plan to mix and match and can wear jeans/khakis and sweaters more than once. I want to be comfy and dry. Any suggestions on what works?

I've so enjoyed reading this board and have gotten so much fabulous information!

thanks!

We are leaving this week...heading to Alaska aboard the Celebrity Infinity!!

We'll be with traveling my father in law and his wife who are not only veteran cruisers, but own a travel agency. They've given us so much info we feel pretty prepared. Day trips booked and we got the package that includes alcohol so we will be happy, happy!

They've cruised so much that there are a few things that they don't think about anymore...it's just second nature. They pack very light and have told us to just take comfortable stuff and a jacket. They don't do anything dressy or formal, and kind of glossed over our questions about that, saying oh you don't have to do any of that. Not rudely, not ugly, it's just the approach they take.

So...is it fun or worth it to do the dressy nights? How does that work? It's our 20th anniversary as well as my birthday and we want it to be special and really memorable.

It looks like the weather will be in the low 60's and rainy. Is layering the best approach for clothes? I read several posts that say pack less than you thing you need. We plan to mix and match and can wear jeans/khakis and sweaters more than once. I want to be comfy and dry. Any suggestions on what works?

I've so enjoyed reading this board and have gotten so much fabulous information!

thanks!

I love dressing up. I really enjoy seeing everyone else dressed up fancy, too.

And definately, layering is the way to go. For our 7 night Alaska cruise I had 3 blouses, 2 turtlenecks, 3 pants and a light sweater. Also had the must-have parka and rain gear. Plenty of combinations to wear.

:)

I would dress up for the formal nights. For us it does make it special and you have much to celebrate.

As mentioned, off the ship and on the deck the key is to layer as Alaska temperature and weather can easily change even by the hour.

Enjoy!

Keith

I would definitely dress up - especially to celebrate your anniversary and get formal portraits taken. Those are some of the absolute best souvenirs.

Layers are also the way to go. A waterproof jacket with a hood is a great piece for your top layer, big enough for the layers underneath.

I know people who've done around 75 cruises and they rarely go to the MDR for dinner, but they always bring one formal outfit and a few things that will work on other nights. If you were sailing on NCL, I'd say skip the formal wear because it's 100% optional. But since you're on Celebrity, they do enforce their dresscode more than many other lines. And the MDR is a great treat on formal nights for the atmosphere and formality with the servers. I wouldn't miss that.

thanks for the replies!

Is the formal dress just for the MDR? And if we do decide to forgo the dress up, we just eat somewhere other than the MDR, right?

We decided to pack at lease one dressier outfit...just in case the mood strikes us! Better to be prepared, eh?

again...thanks. I'm so ready to go!!!

Formal clothes are for the MDR and specialty restaurants, and are not necessary for the buffet, etc. They ask that you wear formal wear all evening and everywhere, but that extra is not enforced much of anywhere, and most people get out of their fancy duds before a show, etc., though some stay dressed and make it a dressy evening.

You will find that formal tends to be a little less formal on Alaska cruises -- fewer tuxedos, fewer suits, heavier on the sport jacket side.

The question as to layering has had adequate responses already.

Have a great time.

FYI - Celebrity doesn't have a buffet in the evenings. So the choices would be a specialty restaurant (with an upcharge - I think there are 2 on Infinity but I'm not positive), the burger grill, pasta bar or room service.

I'm a little confused....

One reply said that they ask you to be formal at the MDR every night? I thought it was just 2 nights?

I have no idea why I'm confused or obsessed with the dining options. I guess it's more of a clothing isse than a food thing. I'm laughing at my self as I type this because it seems slightly ridiculous!

thank you all for the replies and indulging my idiosyncrasies :D

I'm a little confused....

One reply said that they ask you to be formal at the MDR every night? I thought it was just 2 nights?

I have no idea why I'm confused or obsessed with the dining options. I guess it's more of a clothing isse than a food thing. I'm laughing at my self as I type this because it seems slightly ridiculous!

thank you all for the replies and indulging my idiosyncrasies :D

Just 2 nights of formal wear, the other 5 are country club casual (slacks & shirt w/collar for men, slacks, capris, skirts, nice tops or dresses). It used to be more confusing when Celebrity also had informal nights, but those are long gone now!

I would dress up for the formal nights. For us it does make it special and you have much to celebrate.

As mentioned, off the ship and on the deck the key is to layer as Alaska temperature and weather can easily change even by the hour.

Enjoy!

Keith

Great advice from Keith1010. Just a friendly reminder to bring along an umbrella. Note: Some Celebrity ships do provide umbrellas for passengers. If umbrellas are too cumbersome, a hooded poncho is nice to have when it's raining. Happy Birthday! and enjoy your first cruise. :)

OK! I think I kinda get it. But I've decided not to stress!

I've got a small umbrella for my bag and we both have hoods on out rain jackets. Its looking to be low 60's and rainy, so I'm prepared for rain.

I've got my outfits planned, with lots of layers. That's what everyone says! Layers!

I'm looking forward to this and know we are going to have a great time!

thanks everyone...

Hello....

We are going to be on the same cruise. Our second to Alaska. I can tell you to expect all types of weather from Chilly to Warm. Do bring a hooded jacket and umbrella.

By all means dress up. On formal nights, everyone is dressed up not only for dinner, but for the shows and other venues. Get plenty of pictures... you will enjoy them forever.

I have a tux....and the only time I ever wear it is when I am cruising.

There are only two venues for dinner on the Infinity. The MDR (Free) and the SS United States ($35 per person reservations required). The buffet is limited after lunch at best and really not suitable for dinner, but more so for a snack or late bite. However, room service is available 24/7 at no charge if you just do not want to be a part of the masses. I enjoy the main dining room and all the fun that takes place..... like the baked Alaska parade.

I am able to pack for the entire cruise in a backpack and a roll away carry on piece of luggage. If needed, the cruise offers laundry service...or rinse out something in your cabin sink and hang to dry. The Infinity does not have self-service laundry facilities.

I know you will have a fantastic time. I remember my first cruise so very well and how special it was....heck, every cruise is special and I always have a great time.

See you on board.

Wylie

Archived