What I wish I had known before the big day - advice from past brides

We've gone a little off thread so I'm bringing it back - what would. Have done differently

My wedding planner didn't deliver the right coloured flowers, they were meant to be pink to match my shoes - I should have refused them and deducted money

I should have double checked all the arrangements before leaving home to,ensure things were right. The planner thinks that they can get away with doing what they liked because we'd be so far away

I would have ensured that one of the party took our vows off the minister, we don't have a copy, he gave it to the planner and she binned them

I'd have help back the tip instead of one of the party just handing it over

I'd have looked at a map before gong, we got charged $150 extra to take us to a restaurant instead of back to the ship and the place was 2 minutes walk from the ship, ripped off

I'd have bought a lighter dress that I could put in a case instead of carrying it by hand through 2 airports and almost cried when port of miami screwed it into a ball to put it through the scanner

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Also, I am a retired teacher so I probably go a little overboard on planning stuff, but I put together a 10 page "Welcome Letter" with a schedule and everything. I also wrote out our entire wedding outline and script including our vows. I'd be happy to share with anybody who wants to see.

I would LOVE to look at your book dilmks3@gmail.com

A couple pieces of advice....first of all try to get some lunch on the Lido Deck if you have anytime at all because I didn't have a chance to get a bite at the reception...it just goes so fast...also, I asked the groomsmen and the groom to not wear their shirts and ties to lunch before the wedding (my husband is famous for spilling, you can't take him anywhere (just one the quirks that makes me love him even more) and I didn't want food on their shirts and ties for wedding pictures. Also, my daughter and step daughter (my matrons of honor) put on their dresses after they got on board as well, I'm pretty sure they wouldn't have spilled, but I just felt better about it.

I know it has been mentioned before, but my daughter's college roommate did my hair (she doesn't have a mother, so we sort of "adopted her") and she followed us to my stateroom while we got dressed and stayed with me when everybody else had to leave for the rehearsal, to keep me company and do touch ups after I got dressed, so I wouldn't freak out. It was also nice that she and I had a chance to pray together before the wedding.

The most important thing is to have fun, and don't let the details stress you out, it will be beautiful and you will likely be the only one who will know the little things didn't happen as you planned.

Also, I am a retired teacher so I probably go a little overboard on planning stuff, but I put together a 10 page "Welcome Letter" with a schedule and everything. I also wrote out our entire wedding outline and script including our vows. I'd be happy to share with anybody who wants to see.

Oh one more thing, we had a friend as our officient, she got ordained to do my daughter's wedding in April and since she was coming along on the cruise anyway we asked her to do our wedding, so we were able to have a quick "rehearsal" at the hotel the night before. We ran through the entire thing so we could time it, to make sure we were under the time limits.

Do you still have these documents? I would LOVE a copy please and thank you in advance.

I haven't been in here in awhile but since our first anniversary was Monday I was feeling kinda mushy. I see three of you asking. I will get everything to you this evening. BimTheDuck I'll need your email address to get it to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh course that would be helpful dealsavvycutie@gmail.com thanks again

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Just saw this thread today. Please send a copy to me too. mcdonaldmk2@gmail.com my daughter is getting married February 2016 on Carnival Inspiration. Thank you

Congrats to your daughter! I'll be getting married on the Inspiration in January of 2016. As another poster recommended, call Carnival weddings and request a ship tour. They will give you the options of several days a few weeks out or possibly more (because they have to collect your info for Homeland Security to approve for boarding).

You are allowed to bring up to 4 people for the inspection for no fee (other than parking, which is now $19). It is really helpful, as you can walk through what is to be expected and meet the coordinators. They are very nice, and answered so many of my questions!

Best wishes to your daughter, and look forward to seeing you all on the 2016 brides thread!

I haven't been in here in awhile but since our first anniversary was Monday I was feeling kinda mushy. I see three of you asking. I will get everything to you this evening. BimTheDuck I'll need your email address to get it to you.

Hello and congratulations on your first anniversary. My daughter's wedding is next month on Fascination. I would love to see your Welcome Letter. I am beginning to think about all the info that needs to be included and, frankly, it's a bit overwhelming. Please send yours to my email address. Thank you so much! :). Cynthiadelrod@comcast.net

I CANNOT believe that tomorrow marks 3 months since our beautiful wedding. This time 3 months ago we were in Port Canaveral at the Radisson starting the celebration with our family and friends.

1. BE ORGANIZED! - Make sure you organized ahead of time so that when the time comes to enjoy your wedding, you can and will without stress of worrying! I have multiple files with music instructions for ceremony/reception, reception set up instructions, cake set up instructions, etc. I had multiple folders with the documents secured. I also had multiple copies of CD's with our ceremony music and our special dances for the reception. I had extra copies of our vows, ceremony outline, contracts, emails verifying my requests. Once I sat down at the port and went over everything with the coordinators and officiant and handed everything over I knew we were in good hands!

2. IF YOU DON'T KNOW, ASK! - Personally, I would have never chosen a cruise wedding if I wasn't a guest at one. I can't imagine how nervous some of you must be who have never experienced this. These boards are a wealth of knowledge, and if you have specific questions, I'm only an email away.

3. DON'T SWEAT THE SMALL STUFF! - This sort of goes along with being organized. I see questions about what decor to bring such as chair covers and tablecloths! You gotta be kidding me, that is toooooo much work! I kept my decor very simple. On a glitzy ship, there's only so much you need before it gets lost in the room. The less you have to worry about, the better!

4. EAT! - Eat that morning and stay hydrated! You have a long day ahead and you want to look your best. Also, take time to eat some food/enjoy drinks/cake at the reception - the food is amazing and you don't want to miss out!

5. MAXIMIZE YOUR TIME WISELY! - We kept our ceremony short and sweet, vows, rings, and a short reading. We wanted to spend time taking pictures with friends and family after the ceremony so we could maximize our reception time. We didn't do any extras during the reception besides the dances. We entered, cut the cake, did a general toast with all of our guests, then the party started! We did our dances, then back to the party! I read over and over again about how little time there is for the reception. If you use your time wisely it doesn't feel super short. Ours was right at 2 hours (only supposed to be 1.5 hours).

6. ENJOY EVERY SECOND! - 3 months later our family and friends are still talking about how fun our wedding was! I look back and realize how fast it all came and went! Embrace the day for what it is and have fun.

What an awesome recap of what to focus on! I'm hoping our ceremony will also be short and sweet. Would like to take a group photo like you did, if everyone can organize themselves quickly after the service! We'll see :)

Our photographer did a group shot right after the reception before everyone left. I had given him four shots I wanted and one was all of us at the bottom of a stair case looking up at him. The great hing about these boards are you can see other's photos and get some great ideas for your must have shots. I put them on a word document and put it in my wedding binder to give him. He did great getting exactly what I wanted.

What an awesome recap of what to focus on! I'm hoping our ceremony will also be short and sweet. Would like to take a group photo like you did, if everyone can organize themselves quickly after the service! We'll see :)

They will make it happen just speak up and let them know what you want! I had some example pictures printed up in one of the folders just in case they needed some inspiration but it wound up being not needed!

And remember the photographer is a professional. My husband and I each have one adult daughter and I wanted them in most of our pictures because to me it was more than Dave and I getting married, it was the four of us becoming a family....anyway he took us up on the top deck where it was a little windy and had us walking toward him holding hands, we were all laughing because of the wind and it has turned out to be everybody's favorite....I would have never of that.