? better to fly from home or international airport

Bowie MeMe

Looking at a January flight that will take me from Miami to RIO or SCL in South America. I usually book 2 roundtrips -- one from home to MIA and one from MIA to South America. This gives me more control of the flights and the airport waits. In the past I could usually get a cheap flight to FLL or MIA but not so sure this year. Any one have opinions on bundling all into one ticket (WAS to RIO roundtrip or open jaw with SCL) or into 2 seperate tickets? TIA

I get the feeling that you are thinking of flying something like Southwest to get to your point of departure for your long flight.

Remember that Southwest doesn't interline baggage and won't check you in for your international flight.

If your flight is delayed, Southwest (or most other discount airlines) can't 'cover' you for your onward flight problems.

I would do it all on one airline and check in for your international flight at your home airport and see your luggage again in Rio.

Any one have opinions on bundling all into one ticket (WAS to RIO roundtrip or open jaw with SCL) or into 2 seperate tickets?
PennyAgain's advice extends further than to Southwest. If you book two separate tickets, you technically have no misconnection protection and your bags may not be through-checked, even if you are on the same airline for both parts of the journey or on airlines within the same alliance.

For time-critical travel, my advice would be always to book a through-ticket unless you have some compelling reason not to do so. Saving a couple of hundred dollars doesn't, in my view, amount to a compelling reason if there are many more hundreds of dollars worth of cruise at stake.

Another advantage of through ticket is that you will have the international baggage allowance for the full trip - last time I looked it was two free checked bags for South America destinations.

I suppose there could be an occasion when it is better to purchase separate domestic and international tickets, but I've yet to see one in over 50 years of international business and personal travel!

Thanks. I have done it both ways successfully but thinking that the Florida season might be a factor here. We have family/friends in MIA area and in ATL area and NYC area so often want a few days between the flights. We also like precruise so often have a week before cruise goes out. Each person has different factors in their decisions. Just thinking -- I know the smoke is rising from the noggin. :D

Archived