what to do...before final payment...

only1deejay

So, was wanting to pay my final payment minus like $5....since I've heard that you can haggle with a price drop only if you haven't paid in full...

is this correct???

also I'm debating whether to change my trip from the star to the golden...both leave SF Pier one week apart. I booked a balcony room and it's abit more on the golden.

If you had to choose... star or golden?? star had a fire... golden no fire...theres a plus right there.

any kind of "fees" involved with changing ships???? thanks. :) newbie.

So, was wanting to pay my final payment minus like $5....since I've heard that you can haggle with a price drop only if you haven't paid in full...

is this correct???

No, this is not correct. I paid in full several months before my cruise (we wanted to lock in airfare through Princess which was less than other sites). We received two price drops after final payment.

For a two day repo cruise the choice of ship does not matter. The two are very similar and the differences will be hard to spot in such a short amount of time. I would choose based on which date works best with your schedule.

Are you working with a TA or directly with Princess? It makes a difference because of the commission paid to a TA. If direct with Princess, you can pay off your cruise now and if the price goes down they can issue a refund. If a TA is involved, this becomes a bit more complicated due to the commission calculation.

Regardless, the price drop is not so much a haggle situation. If you are before final payment due date..not the same as final payment made..and the price goes down you may ask for a refund. No haggling needed, although it could be pain for your TA to have to recalculate and issue you a refund.

There are no cruise line penalties for switching ships before final payment due date, but there are after. A TA may have their own penalties for making booking changes or adjustments.

Don't let the fact that there was a fire on the Star deter you from sailing on her.

I was on the Star about 18 months ago, and one would never know anything happened. She's a beautiful ship, and in excellent condition.

I'll be cruising on her again in the Spring.

I have to chime in here. I'm a Princess fan, but the Star was my least favorite ship....I know everyone has different experiences on the same ship, but mine was not good, and it MIGHT be attributed to the fire, so the point isn't so crazy. In short, in our cabin we constantly heard a loud "popping" sound...at all hours. By the second or third day, at 5:30 a.m. I went upstairs & stood outside the cabin above ours...I was shocked when the woman in the cabin emerged to find me standing there. Anyway, I explained what I was hearing & asked if she knew what it could be & she brought me into her cabin & demonstrated that just before entering the bathroom there was a problem in the floor & the metal underneath would "pop" whenever they walked on it. We also heard this "popping" sound in at least one spot in the hallway...Now whether these problems have been rectified or whether these are the only 2 spots on the ship where this occurs I can't say.

They moved us to another cabin, which was a total nightmare b/c we were under a porter station & they were throwing dishes around at all hours. Moved again & they put us under the pool deck & we had the pleasure of listening to deck furniture being rearranged at all hours. Learned the importance of cabin selection after that trip!!!!

I have to chime in here. I'm a Princess fan, but the Star was my least favorite ship....I know everyone has different experiences on the same ship, but mine was not good, and it MIGHT be attributed to the fire, so the point isn't so crazy. In short, in our cabin we constantly heard a loud "popping" sound...at all hours. By the second or third day, at 5:30 a.m. I went upstairs & stood outside the cabin above ours...I was shocked when the woman in the cabin emerged to find me standing there. Anyway, I explained what I was hearing & asked if she knew what it could be & she brought me into her cabin & demonstrated that just before entering the bathroom there was a problem in the floor & the metal underneath would "pop" whenever they walked on it. We also heard this "popping" sound in at least one spot in the hallway...Now whether these problems have been rectified or whether these are the only 2 spots on the ship where this occurs I can't say.

They moved us to another cabin, which was a total nightmare b/c we were under a porter station & they were throwing dishes around at all hours. Moved again & they put us under the pool deck & we had the pleasure of listening to deck furniture being rearranged at all hours. Learned the importance of cabin selection after that trip!!!!

Huh? Spent 29 days on the Star in February and March. Nothing popped. Great cruise. Great ship.

Huh? Spent 29 days on the Star in February and March. Nothing popped. Great cruise. Great ship.

I know...so weird...a lot of people like the Star, but my experience was terrible, but as I said, they may have fixed the problem, or if those two spots are the ONLY areas that "pop," then it makes sense that not too many people have experienced it. It was REALLY loud...like metal bending & then "releasing." Never experienced anything like it on any other ship.

I was just trying to make the point that there MIGHT be some remaining effects of the fire, so personally, given a choice, I would pick a ship that hasn't had a fire onboard!

is this correct???

also I'm debating whether to change my trip from the star to the golden...both leave SF Pier one week apart. I booked a balcony room and it's abit more on the golden.

If you had to choose... star or golden?? star had a fire... golden no fire...theres a plus right there.

any kind of "fees" involved with changing ships???? thanks. :) newbie.

If you make your final payment less $5 on the final payment date you will have no haggling room since you will not have a cruise. You must make the full final payment on the final payment date.

If you want to do this before final payment date, Why?

If you make your final payment less $5 on the final payment date you will have no haggling room since you will not have a cruise. You must make the full final payment on the final payment date.

If you want to do this before final payment date, Why?

I agree. If you don't make the full payment by the final payment date, your cruise will be cancelled because it's not paid in full. Princess no longer allows a "grace" period for final payment.

Short coastals almost always sell out very quickly so the chances of a price reduction are somewhere between slim and none. If you want to pre-pay your final payment, put the money in savings and pay on time. That way, your money is at least earning a little interest.

I spent 30 days on her in the Pacific and had a marvelous cruise. So we booked a TA on her after that. She crossed two oceans with out a hitch.

The fire was caused by a careless human. The ship was repaired and declared sea worthy. It happened several years ago. There is nothing to be concerned about.:D

thanks. :) newbie.

Fire was more than 5 years ago (March 23, 2006).

Archived