The Almost Complete Food Lovers Guide to the Oasis of the Seas

BrianAlt

Thanks Brian for all the wonderful tips and the awesome review. My husband and I will be boarding the Oasis this Saturday and your review will definitely come in handy. After some of the reviews about Giovanni's we were a little worried that it wouldn't be that great, but after reading your suggestions we feel relieved. We've done Chops several times and didn't book it in advance, but I'm thinking I want to go back. It's really hard to beat the meal for the price. Thanks again!

Hey Brian - Thanks for the great review. I'll be on Oasis in November with a couple others who have been following this thread (Hi Olivia and Melissa!),

I have a question for you. Since you eat in NYC so often, any recommended restaurants? I'll be there first weekend in Oct. So far I've been thinking of Centrico and Craft. Hole in the Wall to Fancy, I'm open to anything that is good. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I'll be staying at the Hilton over near Radio City.

Probably the MDR, although we never went. Also check Jonny Rockets. We tried going there but they were very backed up even though they were half full.

There were pancakes in the Solarium. With sugar-free syrup! :) There's also fruits and muffins there. And - bonus - no lines!

Thank you both for your replies!! :)

Thanks Brian for all the wonderful tips and the awesome review. My husband and I will be boarding the Oasis this Saturday and your review will definitely come in handy. After some of the reviews about Giovanni's we were a little worried that it wouldn't be that great, but after reading your suggestions we feel relieved. We've done Chops several times and didn't book it in advance, but I'm thinking I want to go back. It's really hard to beat the meal for the price. Thanks again!

Have a WONDERFUL cruise! Be looking forward to hearing about it when you return.

I have a question for you. Since you eat in NYC so often, any recommended restaurants?

I recommend Lattanzi for Italian (Restaurant Row), Del Friscos for steak (Midtown - very close to your hotel), Victor's Cafe for Cuban (Theater District), West Bank Cafe for Continental (Times Square {couple blocks west}), Virgils for BBQ (Times Square), and Bar Americain for a Bobby Flay experience (Midtown - also near your hotel).

Have a great cruise and a great trip to NYC! :D

Everyone getting tired yet? 3 more days and 3 more specialty restaurants to go!

Part 8: Chops!

So we started the morning in the Solarium for breakfast. This was the morning I stopped by the Park Café for a banana before heading to the gym. I wish the Vitality Café, which is right outside the spa and gym had fruit set out, but I didn’t see any. They may have had some behind the counter. It was a very slow morning since we didn’t dock at Costa Maya until 11:30 AM. We were heading to Maya Chan that afternoon and we had a delicious lunch there. Their tacos were excellent! Their drinks were excellent! We were there for WAY too short a time. But that’s a review for another time.

c6e8d73d.jpg

The lovely Perla bringing us some fruit salad at Maya Chan

I was a little concerned that I would overeat at Maya Chan and not be hungry enough for Chops, but I quickly got over that and ignored any fullness I felt. Thankfully I didn’t drink too much. If I had done that I don’t think I would have made it there at all.

Chops is lovely and Central Park is such a nice setting for ALL of the restaurants. Makes you feel like you are in a beautiful part of town, especially at night. You stroll through the gardens and everything is lit up. It really is beautiful.

We had a very nice table for two in a row of tables for two near the window.

2c518267.jpg

Pritesh took this picture of us before our meal at Chops

I ordered a bottle of the Duckhorn Merlot. I figured it would go well with our entrees and not overpower the rest of the courses. Our waiter, Pritesh from India, brought the bottle over and prepared for the traditional tasting, but then he swirled the glass for me! And probably did a better job of it than I would. He then poured us each a glass and swirled those also. It’s just one of those touches that make you feel like you’re being pampered and that you are in a fancy restaurant. Well done Pritesh!

My wife ordered the Lobster Carpaccio and immediately Pritesh encouraged her to order something else. He said it’s not going to be what she thinks it will be. So she ordered the Dungeness Crab and Shrimp Cake, which is what she should have ordered to begin with. I ordered the Forest Mushroom Soup. I still had the taste of the mushroom soup in my mouth from Chef’s Table, but I was eyeing that soup even before the cruise when I saw it on the menu. I also ordered a Shrimp Cocktail and my wife said she would share that with me. Pritesh also said he would bring a Lobster Carpaccio so we could taste it.

Of course Pritesh was right! The lobster was, umm, chopped (?) and then formed into very thin patties (?). It was ODD to say the least. It didn’t even taste like lobster and the consistency was horrible. DO NOT get this dish. My wife’s crab cake was delicious! The rémoulade sauce was so tasty! Nice touch of spice without it being overwhelming and went so well with the cake. The soup was so tasty. Very much like the soup at Chef’s Table. Maybe slightly less rich, but then it was 4-5 times the size. So a little less rich is called for. The Shrimp Cocktail was, well, shrimp cocktail. The shrimps were large, tasty and snapped in your mouth. The cocktail sauce was just what it should be with the right amount of horseradish. I think I dipped some bread in it after the shrimp were gone. I couldn’t resist.

For our entrees my wife ordered the Petit Filet Mignon. Pritesh tried to talk her into the full size one, but she said that the petit was plenty. I was torn between the Broiled Veal Chop and the Beef Rib Eye. Jackie had told us how wonderful the Veal Chop was, but the Rib Eye was right up my alley. I asked Pritesh for his thoughts and he said Rib Eye. I said, let’s do it! When our steaks were served Pritesh came over with the sauces. The choices are Classic Béarnaise, Green Peppercorn Sauce, Chimichurri Sauce and Cabernet Reduction. He recommended the Peppercorn or the Cabernet. I said that I can’t choose between three, those two and the Chimichurri, I love them all! So he put all three on my plate, pouring a slightly larger than small amount of sauce at the edge of my steak in three different areas. It was so much fun trying each of the sauces with the steak. I don’t remember liking one over the other, they were all sooo delicious. I finished my 16 oz. steak as easily as my wife finished her 7 oz. We also ordered three sides: Roasted Potatoes with Prosciutto and Parmesan, Sautéed Broccolini and Crimini Mushrooms and Leeks. We didn’t finish any of the three, but all we delicious. I ate some mushrooms with my steak and that was very nice. Also, the wine went very well with the steak and all of the sauces.

My wife said that she enjoyed Pritesh so much that she has to make a comment on our way out. After the entrees, the Maitre d’ was wandering through the restaurant asking everyone how their meal was, making sure everyone was happy. My wife stopped him and told him how wonderful Pritesh was. He said that she was just saying that, but she insisted and said that she had planned to tell him what a great waiter he is. The Maitre d’ told us that he is indeed an excellent waiter and they have big plans for him. Good luck, Pritesh!

For dessert my wife had the Cheese Cake and I had Apple Pie a la Mode. For me, the pie was a great way to top off this meal. It was lighter than having chocolate cake and the vanilla ice cream was refreshing. It was sweet, which is what I usually look for in a dessert. My wife says the cheese cake was excellent! However, I must say the dessert choices were a little flat. A special place should have special desserts and these were mostly ordinary. We both very much enjoyed what we ordered and that’s what counts. But I did take note that the dessert menu was not very impressive.

This was such a wonderful meal. If you absolutely wanted to go to ONLY ONE specialty restaurant, GO HERE! (I’ll tell you why I say that at the end.)

Next : Part 9: Solarium Bistro

We had Pritesh as our waiter on our recent August 21 sailing and YES he is outstanding!!! We also made a comment on our way out of the resturant. Gave him 5 stars on the comment card. BTW, we too asked about Lobster Carpaccio - Pritesh talk me out of it...THANK GOD. Because he brought one for us to try and it was terrible.

If you going to Chops on the Oasis ask for to be put in his section. You won't regret it.

We had Pritesh as our waiter on our recent August 21 sailing and YES he is outstanding!!! We also made a comment on our way out of the resturant. Gave him 5 stars on the comment card. BTW, we too asked about Lobster Carpaccio - Pritesh talk me out of it...THANK GOD. Because he brought one for us to try and it was terrible.

If you going to Chops on the Oasis ask for to be put in his section. You won't regret it.

He was wonderful! We even stopped by to say hello to him at the Cafe Promenade where he works during the day. (May have mentioned that before.) He was happy to see us, but didn't remember our names. I sure didn't take that personally! :)

Same exact experience! He talked my wife out of the Carpaccio, but brought one to try anyway.

I recommend Lattanzi for Italian (Restaurant Row), Del Friscos for steak (Midtown - very close to your hotel), Victor's Cafe for Cuban (Theater District), West Bank Cafe for Continental (Times Square {couple blocks west}), Virgils for BBQ (Times Square), and Bar Americain for a Bobby Flay experience (Midtown - also near your hotel).

Have a great cruise and a great trip to NYC! :D

Thanks so much! Been to Virgils and Bar Americain, will have to try some of the others.

He was wonderful! We even stopped by to say hello to him at the Cafe Promenade where he works during the day. (May have mentioned that before.) He was happy to see us, but didn't remember our names. I sure didn't take that personally! :)

Same exact experience! He talked my wife out of the Carpaccio, but brought one to try anyway.

We stop by a few times to see him at Cafe Promenade too!!! Loved your review. I had read it before we left on our cruise but now re-reading it after we actual had the dining experience (very similiar to yours) its even better. We also loved Chef Table, Chops, 120 Central, Giovanni and Park Cafe.

We stop by a few times to see him at Cafe Promenade too!!! Loved your review. I had read it before we left on our cruise but now re-reading it after we actual had the dining experience (very similiar to yours) its even better. We also loved Chef Table, Chops, 120 Central, Giovanni and Park Cafe.

I'm glad you stopped by to "compare notes". I've read through what I wrote just to remind myself what an awesome time I had.

Does anyone know which day is the best to try a specialty dinner? I do not want to do it on the formal nights. I just want to see if anyone had an experience that was good for them?

I believe the formal nights are different on each itinerary, but I think Tuesday is not a formal night on either.

Check cruisedocs.com for itineraries.

Hey Brian - Thanks for the great review. I'll be on Oasis in November with a couple others who have been following this thread (Hi Olivia and Melissa!),

I have a question for you. Since you eat in NYC so often, any recommended restaurants? I'll be there first weekend in Oct. So far I've been thinking of Centrico and Craft. Hole in the Wall to Fancy, I'm open to anything that is good. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I'll be staying at the Hilton over near Radio City.

Hi Richard. Have fun in NYC! We will be eating bread and water in order to save for Oasis, but you go ahead and live it up in the Big Apple...just kidding. See you soon!

Hi Richard and Olivia! I absolutely love Brian's review and cant wait to get on Oasis for our Turkey Day cruise.

Richard I guess we are on opposite schedules....we will be doing the Disney thing the first weekend in October, then heading to NY in January. But unfortunately we wont get to partake in the fabulous dining there, going up for a quick visit to see family and our newest niece. But we are going to take the kids into the city to see at least a few of the sights (and hopefully some snow in Central Park).

Part 4: Day 2 Giovanni's with New Friends

When I heard that Giovanni’s in Central Park was a “family style” restaurant, I have to say, I was a little disappointed. As I said to start this review (or guide), I eat at nice restaurants. New York City has some of the greatest Italian restaurants in the world. And those restaurants vary their cuisine from Northern, to Southern, to Continental with Italian style, there’s even one we frequent that’s Roman Jewish style. And of course there are family style places. I have no problem with family style, it has its place. I just wondered if a nice dinner on a cruise ship is the place for it.

Well, this isn’t like any family style Italian restaurant I’ve ever eaten at! I think they should drop that, because it’s a misnomer. Just say, “sharing is encouraged.” That would be enough. As I said in the previous part, Rachelle and Jackie joined us for dinner. We all arrived together just before 6:30 and the host looked at us a little funny. I think they knew I had changed my reservation to 6:30, but I think they weren’t really sure that the four of us were eating together. It wasn’t a problem and less than a minute later the four of us were sitting down for our meal.

The confusion in calling it, “family style,” is the thinking that you NEED to order that way, as a group. That the plates will be put down in the center of the table and you share. This was not the case.

We ordered the Caprese Salad, which says for 2, for the four of us. We each got our own plate. That was wonderful, but if I knew that could be the case we may have ordered differently. Not that we needed to order differently. Mostly I’m warning you, future diner at Giovanni’s, that if you want something, order it. Don’t worry about the “family style” thing. The salad was very good, typical Caprese, fresh and delicious. The basil was very flavorful.

My wife and Jackie ordered the Cioppino, which was lovely. The seafood was fresh and the presentation, pouring the broth over the seafood and bread, was spot on. Very flavorful, it had an ocean taste without being fishy.

For our pasta course we decided on 3 pastas. We knew it was too much for the four of us, but we REALLY wanted to try them all. So we ordered the 3 plates. I wanted the Maryland Crab Ravioli, we agreed on the Gnocchi with the Lamb Sauce and Jackie really wanted the Pappardelle. The Pappardelle was in a cream sauce and I’m not big on cream sauces, but we had 3 dishes and it would give me a chance to try it out.

The Ravioli was nice, but perhaps a little disappointing. It was sitting in what I would describe as a thickened broth. It was good, but I’ve had better. The Gnocchi was delicious! Little pillows of goodness, just like gnocchi should be. And the sauce? Wow, such great lamb flavor. My mouth waters thinking about it. But the surprise of the night? The Pappardelle! Wonderful dish! So flavorful. Get this dish! Get THIS dish! Others mentioned it to us when talking about Giovanni’s during the week. Nice call, Jackie!

Finally, three of us ordered the Filet Mignon and Jackie wanted the Ossobuco. Again, I figured it was a sharing situation, but each of us got our own Filet. Too much food, but it didn’t stop me from finishing. :D It came with French Fries. And they were delicious! Or could it be that I’ve been avoiding Fries for so long? We also ordered the Shrimp dish, which was put down in the center and we each had one. That was a nice little addition. However, once again, Jackie trumped us. The Ossobuco was the dish of the night. Actually, I didn’t try it, but I could tell by her reaction and Rachelle, who had both, declared it the winner!

For dessert my wife and Rachelle had the Doughnuts in Chocolate Sauce. Not sure what Rachelle thought, but my wife was disappointed. I had the Flourless Chocolate Cake, which was nice, and I’m not sure what Jackie had. We also shared a nice bottle of dessert wine after the ladies shared one of the bottles from their wine package with us. All in all, a GREAT dinner and so nice making new friends. We were worried that this would be more difficult since we weren’t eating in the MDR. But Cruise Critic made that easier!

fb69a182.jpg

Jackie and Rachelle at Giovanni’s with us.

8962fda3.jpg

My wife and me, seconds later.

Next Part - Part 5: Park Café and Chef's Table!

(next part won't be till at least tomorrow morning)

The dinner is $15 per person, is that correct? So you are allowed to order several entrees for just $15? If so, my husband (huge appetite), will be happy to hear that.

The dinner is $15 per person, is that correct? So you are allowed to order several entrees for just $15? If so, my husband (huge appetite), will be happy to hear that.

Yes, $15 ($10 for lunch) and while I don't know if the entrees are truly unlimited, you can certainly order multiple entrees and pasta dishes.

Thank you Brian and Sherry for the "work" you put into this for us cruisers! I'm trying to talk my husband into going to at least Chops since he won't admit he is a foodie!!! He's pretty happy with MDR stuff but I'm sending your google doc to him to read.

• 3 months later...

This is the best review I have read for any ship. I got a ton of info. I wanted to send you a few questions, and just joined the boards, so I was trying to find a PM type email that could be sent so as not to tie up a thread. I booked the chefs table, chops, giovannis, and central park based on your reviews.

Thanks for the outstanding analysis and info. Well done.

Thank you very much. I am also glad you found it. It's disappointing to see how many don't find these "older" resources.

I also have this saved as a pdf if you want me to send it to you.

Contact info is my user name at yahoo dot com.

This is a great food review. I've got a reservation for 150 Central Park for my wife's birthday but Chops might be more up our alley though and it's cheaper so I'm teetering. Can't wait to see your day 7 review of 150. Thanks for all the great info.

Cheers!

I would suggest you keep your reservation for 150 Central Park. This is an occasion restaurant. We celebrated my birthday and our wedding anniversary at 150 Central Park and it was an upscale dining experience. I won't say any more about the experience as I don't want to spoil this wonderful food review by Brian Alt.

Thank you and it's right here: Part11: 150 Central Park and it was completed in August. :)

I just finished reading the entire thread (13 pages) in one sitting, not realizing you had already reviewed 150 Central Park a couple of months ago. I hadn't looked at the dates when I commented about our experience at 150 Central Park.

Our menu for 150 CP was different. I didn't know there is more than one menu. We enjoyed all six courses, including an absolutely superb soup course. I've never had spiced caramel popcorn garnish on a Camembert cheese based soup. The combination was daring but so scrumptious. I commented to the chef how wonderful his soup is and our server brought me a copy of the recipe at the end of the meal. What a nice touch that was.

We had met the head Chef for 150 Central Park the day before at the galley tour. We chatted with him at the galley tour for several minutes and I mentioned to him that we would be dining in his restaurant the following night. It is such a personal touch that the chef greets all his guests at their tables in the restaurant. I can't say enough about our experience at 150 CP and it is one DH and I will never forget.