The Almost Complete Food Lovers Guide to the Oasis of the Seas

BrianAlt

He gave us two glasses and poured approximately half into each glass. (I would say it was slightly heavy handed.) It was plenty! Six glasses each would have been too much. Plus, don't forget the martini!

Oh yeah, we HAVE to have the martini! :D Good to know they are decent pours, thanks, I think sharing is definitely the way to go.

Beautiful. All of it.

Now, here goes for the questions and thanks in advance for your suggestions.

My wife and I will be celebrating our birthdays and wedding anniversary. It will be a formal night (a sunday), on the Oasis, and I wanted to make it special.

Both venues, 150 CP and Chef's Table seem astounding. I'm sure I would appreciate both.

BUT, here are a few things that might put a damper on both.

First, we aren't very big drinkers. More precisely, my wife does not drink at all and as for myself, I'll haved two, or at the most, three glasses and that's it.

Second, my wife is a little more picky on the food. She doesn't like fish at all, any type, and same thing for veal and even duck. I love them all.

So this being said, which venue would you suggest ?

I'm disapointed a bit because I guess that neither one would suit us. First because of the alcohol and second (and mostly), the type of food that my wife wouldn't like.

We are from two different upbringings. But, as you probably know, love is blind to race, religion, and whatnot... and that, including tastes for different kind of foods. :)

In fact, the last time we had dinner in a formal restaurant serving a higher type of cuisine, we both had the same thing, a main dish that was duck. I thought it was very good. She didn't like it.

So which other venue would suit us best ? I also read your review of Chops, it looks really good too. Of course, the type of food is also probably quite different. She (wife) would probably like it, as she would like italian too, so Giovanni's might be another potential choice.

So there it is, Brian. I'd like to do something really special for her. Alas, it's still a dilemna...

Thank you for any recommendations.

Hugh

I am also a very picky eater but Hubby loves food of any kind and likes experimenting with the faboulous. I hate seafood of any kind and appreciate only the red wines. So your answer to Hugh's dilemma will help me decide which one we should go for.

Would it be easier to explain at the chef's table that it is me and not the cooking that has me leaving the offerings on the plate? Or would it be less noticable at 150?

Love your review and the pictures.

THANK YOU Brian Alt! :)

I was going to make a reservation for 150 CP and then I was like....oh wait....let me wait until Brian comes back with his review and then decided! :D

So after reading your review, I am almost convinced to make reservation there except......!

So...my question is every piece of food is paired with wine and the wine is also included in 35 dollar cover charge??

If I am not a big wine drinker ( I am not really a drinker at all, only a few times a year like 4th of July and B-days), do you think it is still worth it?:confused:

I would appreciate ur answer!

Thanks for the great review and pix! :D

Thank you for the questions. They are perfect lead ins to my final part, the conclusion and wrap-up. If I don't answer your questions there I'll be sure to answer your questions immediately after. So stay tuned!

Part 12: Final Thoughts and Conclusions

It seems to me that the biggest question on Oasis is, “where do I go for that ONE special meal?” The answer to that question is not straight forward. It depends on your tastes and preferences.

If you are a foodie (or an aspiring foodie), I have to doubt you want to go to only one venue, but I’ll answer this question anyway. I think you have two choices. You must either go to 150 Central Park or to Chef’s Table. Which do I recommend? Chef’s Table. Chef’s Table is an experience unlike any other on the ship. It is intimate. It is personal. It is beautiful. You learn about the Chef’s thought process. The service is perfect. You are pampered from start to end. Not saying there is anything wrong with 150 Central Park, but if I have to pick one of those two, go with Chef’s Table.

If you are NOT a foodie, if you do NOT enjoy being told what to eat, if you do NOT enjoy a fixed menu, do NOT go to 150 Central Park OR Chef’s Table. After my review of Chops I said that if you only want to go to one place, go to Chops. At the end of this series, I fully stand by that decision. Why go to Chops as your one place? Well, it has a wonderful varied menu. Sure it specializes in steak, but there are other things on the menu too.

For appetizers they serve crab cakes, shrimp cocktail, grilled portabella mushrooms, lobster bisque, onion soup, house salad, caesar salad, and other choices. For entrees they serve halibut, scallops, veal, pork, lamb, chicken and several cuts of steak. The sides are all nice accompaniments. There are several dessert choices. And unlike the fixed menu places above, if you don’t like something, they’ll take it back and you can order something else! You have options.

Here is a link to the Chops Grille complete menu: http://www.royalcaribbean.com/content/en_US/pdf/ChopsGrille_Menu_Eng.pdf

If you aren’t happy with Chops menu, then Giovanni’s is a GREAT second choice. Don’t go here expecting the Olive Garden menu. This is authentic Italian cooking. Let’s say your spouse likes pasta, but you’re just into steak. Well, steak is on the menu also. And it’s delicious. But get the Ossobuco, apparently it’s to die for! Veal, chicken and seafood are also on the menu here. And don’t let the “family style” billing fool you, you can order everything as a single dish. A couple of things are, “for two,” but even then, if you order it and don’t finish it, you won’t be sent to the Naughty Room for that on a cruise!

Here is a link to Giovanni’s menu:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/content/en_US/pdf/GiovannisTableDinnerMenu.pdf

Now for the poor stepchild. Yes, it’s the Solarium Bistro. Poor left out of the picture Solarium Bistro! The menu is lovely. Sure the dishes are lighter, but they’re still hearty enough! When was the last time you had bison on a cruise ship? They also serve duck, veal, pork, tuna, salmon, lamb, and pasta. How can you go wrong here? Simple, you can’t. You really can’t! It’s so easy to find something delicious here. Sure, if you just like eating steak and potatoes, or you only like eating pizza, or only hot dogs, fine, go elsewhere. For the rest of us, this place is lovely! But it is the poor stepchild. Chops and Giovanni’s easily top the choices over this Cinderella of a restaurant. But please, try this place. It really is wonderful and deserves our attention.

The Solarium Bistro menu:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/content/en_US/pdf/SolariumDinnerMenu.pdf

Cost is a concern of many, so let me talk a little about the cost of each of the venues. Chef’s Table is $75 per person and includes the food, 4 glasses of wine two aprons and a signed cookbook (a nice memento). The pours are generous and tend to keep coming. 150 Central Park is $35 per person and $75 each for the wine pairings, 6 glasses of wine. The salt isn’t extra, but the martini is - $15. Chops is $25 per person and wine is on your own. Bottles range from the low 30s to a couple hundred dollars. I spent approximately $75 on a nice bottle of merlot. Giovanni’s Table is $15 per person plus wine. I bought a dessert wine here that cost $30 and our dining companions shared a bottle off of their wine package. Solarium Bistro is $20 per person and we got 2 glasses of wine. So, here is what I spent on each meal:

Chef’s Table - $150

150 Central Park - $160

Chops Grille - $125

Giovanni’s Table - $60

Solarium Bistro - $60

Plus tip, which is automatic on the wine and whatever you want to leave on the service. Chef’s Table does not charge an extra gratuity on the wine.

Now I’d like to tell you about the places I know nothing about. I never ate at Sorrento’s Pizzeria. I’m probably a snob when it comes to pizza. There are just too many good (or great?) pizzerias near me. Also, whenever I went by, Sorrento’s had a long line which I didn’t want to wait on. Plus I never wanted to ruin my appetite for the rest of the food. ;)

I never ate in the Main Dining Room for dinner or breakfast. I was going to have breakfast here the last day, but we just ended up in the platinum lounge inside the MDR and had some danish (breakfast of champions).

We never ordered room service. Not our thing. We’d rather not eat in the room. We’d rather take a walk and get some food.

Never stopped at the Vitality Café. But it’s probably perfect to grab a fruit before the gym or a sandwich on the way out.

Didn’t eat at Johnny Rockets for lunch or dinner.

Never stopped at the donut shop on the Boardwalk, but the donuts did look good.

We didn’t eat at the Seafood Shack. We like seafood, but it never became important to go here.

Never had any ice cream at the Ice Cream Parlor, even though I love ice cream.

And finally, and most proudly, WE NEVER ATE AT WINDJAMMER. I made this a goal and I had no idea if I could achieve it and I did. I told my wife this on the plane down to Florida. She had no idea where we would eat as replacements, but she trusted my research.

Now to finish it all off with some quick hit DOs.

DO get a cupcake at the Cupcake Cupboard. Sure it’s $2.50, but you're on vacation, splurge for a snack.

DO go to the Park Café and often. The food is good and even if it’s crowded it moves quickly. Especially recommended for breakfast.

DO go to Johnny Rockets for breakfast. Hey, no extra charge and you get entertained at the same time.

DO go to the Café Promenade. We would stop here every night for a couple glasses of water and bring them back to the room. Sometimes we grabbed a cookie or two. (Shhh, don’t tell anyone!)

DO pick up a snack at the Wipe Out Café. I didn’t and I regret it. :(

DO have lunch at the Solarium Bistro. Just dry off and walk in. Just like Windjammer, except MUCH less crowded.

DO stop in at Vintages, even if it’s for a glass of wine. Although you’ll probably be tempted to order at least one dish.

And last, but certainly not least…

DO have a wonderful cruise and do what you enjoy. That’s what cruising is all about.

8a065e47.jpg

I'm not afraid to have some fun. Are you?

Thanks for the awesome review! So helpful. I have been torn between 150 Central Park and Chef's Table. I think we will be sticking with our 150 CP reservation. CT sounds great but we did a Chef's Table on the Caribbean Princess last year (it was awesome too) and am looking for something a little different this time around. Thank you again :)

BrianAlt-- i am interested in Chops. My wife is vegetarian. Do they have a good selection that would interest a vegetarian?

I'm assuming cheese is okay. There is Char-Grilled Portabella Caps and Asparagus that are marinated with fresh herbs and olive oil, served with a rye goat cheese crostini, crushed black olives and balsamic drizzle. Yum! There is a Cheese N' Onion Soup on the menu, I guess it depends on the broth used. There is a Beefsteak Tomato and Purple Onion dish with blue cheese crumbles. There are no purely vegetarian choices on the entrees, but I would be shocked if they could not accomodate you. You should call and find out for sure.

CT sounds great but we did a Chef's Table on the Caribbean Princess last year (it was awesome too) and am looking for something a little different this time around. Thank you again :)

I don't blame you. Enjoy! :)

Thank you, Brian, for a fabulous review/guide! We'll be going on Allure in March. Right now we have no plans for a specialty restaurant or two, but after reading this, we may change our minds.

We'll have two weeks on board so we'll be able to sample it all! :D

Thank you again!

Brian,

Thanks so much for taking the time to put this all down for us. We are going to be on Oasis in January and this thread is a great aide in our culinary enjoyment of this ship.

Thanks again

Thanks for the great research and review. DW and I are deciding between Oasis and Allure for next spring. I am the foodie of the couple but your last pic will be very important to her, as she never passes up a chance as a carousel. I am trying to talk her into the Chef's Table but she is not a big fan of wine. I don't know much about wine but am looking at it as a fun time where I might learn something.

My thanks also for this review. Part of any vacation for me is the dining so I found this an interesting take on a different sort of review.

We were on in April and managed to hit every dining sport with the exception of Giovannis which I am sorry for now. We never set foot in the MDR since after 40 some odd cruises I know RCIs menu pretty well. Not that it is bad but if there is an alternative we usually take it.

Some of our thoughts:

We thought that 150 was the best meal on the ship by quite a bit. the chefs table was an interesting evening but I just think the actual food (same menu as you had) at 150 was better.

I also think that the Solarium bistro was a definite 'hidden gem'. I really enjoyed our dinner there and also any breakfast or lunch.

Chops was good as always and they have at least added some new items to the standard menu.

Another little gem is Vintages and the tapas there. You can't really eat dinner there but for a snack it can't be beat.

We also thought Izumis was pretty good sushi (maybe we're not snobs). And the price there was very reasonable.

Anyway thanks again for letting me relive my dining experience.

Another little gem is Vintages and the tapas there. You can't really eat dinner there but for a snack it can't be beat.

We did! :D

We also thought Izumis was pretty good sushi (maybe we're not snobs). And the price there was very reasonable.

Agreed. Next time (if there is a next time) I might do Izumi for lunch instead of dinner.