The Almost Complete Food Lovers Guide to the Oasis of the Seas

BrianAlt

Part 12: Final Thoughts and Conclusions

It seems to me that the biggest question on Oasis is, “where do I go for that ONE special meal?” The answer to that question is not straight forward. It depends on your tastes and preferences.

If you are a foodie (or an aspiring foodie), I have to doubt you want to go to only one venue, but I’ll answer this question anyway. I think you have two choices. You must either go to 150 Central Park or to Chef’s Table. Which do I recommend? Chef’s Table. Chef’s Table is an experience unlike any other on the ship. It is intimate. It is personal. It is beautiful. You learn about the Chef’s thought process. The service is perfect. You are pampered from start to end. Not saying there is anything wrong with 150 Central Park, but if I have to pick one of those two, go with Chef’s Table.

If you are NOT a foodie, if you do NOT enjoy being told what to eat, if you do NOT enjoy a fixed menu, do NOT go to 150 Central Park OR Chef’s Table. After my review of Chops I said that if you only want to go to one place, go to Chops. At the end of this series, I fully stand by that decision. Why go to Chops as your one place? Well, it has a wonderful varied menu. Sure it specializes in steak, but there are other things on the menu too.

For appetizers they serve crab cakes, shrimp cocktail, grilled portabella mushrooms, lobster bisque, onion soup, house salad, caesar salad, and other choices. For entrees they serve halibut, scallops, veal, pork, lamb, chicken and several cuts of steak. The sides are all nice accompaniments. There are several dessert choices. And unlike the fixed menu places above, if you don’t like something, they’ll take it back and you can order something else! You have options.

Here is a link to the Chops Grille complete menu: http://www.royalcaribbean.com/content/en_US/pdf/ChopsGrille_Menu_Eng.pdf

If you aren’t happy with Chops menu, then Giovanni’s is a GREAT second choice. Don’t go here expecting the Olive Garden menu. This is authentic Italian cooking. Let’s say your spouse likes pasta, but you’re just into steak. Well, steak is on the menu also. And it’s delicious. But get the Ossobuco, apparently it’s to die for! Veal, chicken and seafood are also on the menu here. And don’t let the “family style” billing fool you, you can order everything as a single dish. A couple of things are, “for two,” but even then, if you order it and don’t finish it, you won’t be sent to the Naughty Room for that on a cruise!

Here is a link to Giovanni’s menu:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/content/en_US/pdf/GiovannisTableDinnerMenu.pdf

Now for the poor stepchild. Yes, it’s the Solarium Bistro. Poor left out of the picture Solarium Bistro! The menu is lovely. Sure the dishes are lighter, but they’re still hearty enough! When was the last time you had bison on a cruise ship? They also serve duck, veal, pork, tuna, salmon, lamb, and pasta. How can you go wrong here? Simple, you can’t. You really can’t! It’s so easy to find something delicious here. Sure, if you just like eating steak and potatoes, or you only like eating pizza, or only hot dogs, fine, go elsewhere. For the rest of us, this place is lovely! But it is the poor stepchild. Chops and Giovanni’s easily top the choices over this Cinderella of a restaurant. But please, try this place. It really is wonderful and deserves our attention.

The Solarium Bistro menu:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/content/en_US/pdf/SolariumDinnerMenu.pdf

Cost is a concern of many, so let me talk a little about the cost of each of the venues. Chef’s Table is $75 per person and includes the food, 4 glasses of wine two aprons and a signed cookbook (a nice memento). The pours are generous and tend to keep coming. 150 Central Park is $35 per person and $75 each for the wine pairings, 6 glasses of wine. The salt isn’t extra, but the martini is - $15. Chops is $25 per person and wine is on your own. Bottles range from the low 30s to a couple hundred dollars. I spent approximately $75 on a nice bottle of merlot. Giovanni’s Table is $15 per person plus wine. I bought a dessert wine here that cost $30 and our dining companions shared a bottle off of their wine package. Solarium Bistro is $20 per person and we got 2 glasses of wine. So, here is what I spent on each meal:

Chef’s Table - $150

150 Central Park - $160

Chops Grille - $125

Giovanni’s Table - $60

Solarium Bistro - $60

Plus tip, which is automatic on the wine and whatever you want to leave on the service. Chef’s Table does not charge an extra gratuity on the wine.

Now I’d like to tell you about the places I know nothing about. I never ate at Sorrento’s Pizzeria. I’m probably a snob when it comes to pizza. There are just too many good (or great?) pizzerias near me. Also, whenever I went by, Sorrento’s had a long line which I didn’t want to wait on. Plus I never wanted to ruin my appetite for the rest of the food. ;)

I never ate in the Main Dining Room for dinner or breakfast. I was going to have breakfast here the last day, but we just ended up in the platinum lounge inside the MDR and had some danish (breakfast of champions).

We never ordered room service. Not our thing. We’d rather not eat in the room. We’d rather take a walk and get some food.

Never stopped at the Vitality Café. But it’s probably perfect to grab a fruit before the gym or a sandwich on the way out.

Didn’t eat at Johnny Rockets for lunch or dinner.

Never stopped at the donut shop on the Boardwalk, but the donuts did look good.

We didn’t eat at the Seafood Shack. We like seafood, but it never became important to go here.

Never had any ice cream at the Ice Cream Parlor, even though I love ice cream.

And finally, and most proudly, WE NEVER ATE AT WINDJAMMER. I made this a goal and I had no idea if I could achieve it and I did. I told my wife this on the plane down to Florida. She had no idea where we would eat as replacements, but she trusted my research.

Now to finish it all off with some quick hit DOs.

DO get a cupcake at the Cupcake Cupboard. Sure it’s $2.50, but you're on vacation, splurge for a snack.

DO go to the Park Café and often. The food is good and even if it’s crowded it moves quickly. Especially recommended for breakfast.

DO go to Johnny Rockets for breakfast. Hey, no extra charge and you get entertained at the same time.

DO go to the Café Promenade. We would stop here every night for a couple glasses of water and bring them back to the room. Sometimes we grabbed a cookie or two. (Shhh, don’t tell anyone!)

DO pick up a snack at the Wipe Out Café. I didn’t and I regret it. :(

DO have lunch at the Solarium Bistro. Just dry off and walk in. Just like Windjammer, except MUCH less crowded.

DO stop in at Vintages, even if it’s for a glass of wine. Although you’ll probably be tempted to order at least one dish.

And last, but certainly not least…

DO have a wonderful cruise and do what you enjoy. That’s what cruising is all about.

8a065e47.jpg

I'm not afraid to have some fun. Are you?

Oh noooooooooooooo!

You left Izumi out of your summation. Now I'll have to figure it out myself............ ;)

Seriously, Brian, if you published this "guide" in pamphlet form, you could definitely sell it!

Thanks for posting the photos. We are going to book. Glad the mangroves are on their way back!. . . Important for the environment.

Tell Zak "Greenspan" that Brian and Sheri said hello. He's the main environmentalist at Maya Chan.

This is him. He'll be hard to miss him:

02df18e1.jpg

What happened to Overtyme's post? I would have loved to respond...

Ok, here it is...

okay - not sure if you got writers block, but you owe us for you all of our loyal support of your thread....

You're writing talent indicates that you have qualified your entire cruise based on food, yet you state that you are not a foodie at all!!!

What about the other details of the ship, the ports, etc.

Where's our review (while it's still fresh in your head)?!?!?!?!?!

I'd love to write about the entire cruise. I have so much more to say! But I left home for a conference followed by a business trip. I may not be able to keep up with it.

As for not being a foodie, I am a foodie in training. And some may say my training is completed, but I wouldn't.

As for being fresh in my head, it isn't. It's been two weeks already! :eek:

Brian - It seems like forever since the cruise to us....yet it's only been two weeks! Your food guide is great! We enjoyed Giovanni's, Park Cafe, Johnny Rockets for breakfast and Solarium for breakfast too. I got the turtle cupcake too! We didnt get to as many specialty restaurants as you did, since we had the kids with us, but maybe next time. Even though I was on the ship with you and enjoyed Nachi Cocum, it was a real pleasure reading your review.

Take care,

Jen

Brian - It seems like forever since the cruise to us....yet it's only been two weeks! Your food guide is great!

Jen

Hi Jen! It was great meeting you and Tim. Thanks for your comments. Hopefully we'll be on a cruise sometime again in the future. :)

Brian - It seems like forever since the cruise to us....yet it's only been two weeks! Your food guide is great!

Jen

Hi Jen! It was great meeting you and Tim. Thanks for your comments. Hopefully we'll be on a cruise sometime again in the future. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Reading this loooonnnngggggg thread! I was on the edge of my seat! Love the info. We're not going until next July - I'm going to use your guide!!

Tell me more about the cupcakes, please. I see it on the "do" list but don't recall any details. Very interested in the cupcake shop!!

LOVED the post - those IT Directors are clever and witty. Love the writing!! Hope you enjoyed writing it as much as I enjoyed reading it!!

Thank you!!

The cupcake shop has about a half dozen or so types of cupcakes. They cost $2.50 each. We had the Turtle cupcake, chocolate with chocolate frosting and caramel swirled in it and pecans on top. It was yummy, but it was cold and slightly hard. We probably got there soon after it was removed from the fridge. Room temperature would have been better. Anyway, it was a fun sweet break. We shared one and that was plenty.

Glad you enjoyed and thanks for the kind words. :)

Just wondering if you knew the amounts of each?

I didn't, but I did a search and found this:

1 1/3 oz Bailey's® Irish cream

2/3 oz creme de bananes

2 oz pina colada mix

Pour all ingredients into a cocktail shaker half-filled with crushed ice. Shake well, strain into a cocktail glass, and serve.

http://www.drinksmixer.com/drink8562.html

You can also blend in a fresh banana. Definitely gave it a livelier taste.

We are on Oasis in Nov....one of our CC buddies said we should check out this link and now it is bloody late and I am starving hungry......you did an incredible job mate........you should write reviews for magazines.......awesome.......I am totally replanning my cruise........RCCL should pay you $$$ for this review...you have definately stimulated folks to purchase what they may not have already planned to do.....

Hey Goldstein....are you reading this.......You couldn't pay enough $$$ 5o get this kind of review............

you did an incredible job mate

Thank you, thank you. :)

Hey Goldstein....are you reading this.......You couldn't pay enough $$$ 5o get this kind of review............

I sort of agree with you. I'm surprised that RCI hasn't tried to tap in some of the wonderful reviews around here. If Mr. Goldstein wants to give me a free cruise (or ANY perk for that matter), I'd be glad to accept it! (hint, hint) :D

Brian - thanks again for your reviews. we are onboard tomorrow. i have been on Atkins for 2 1/2 weeks to lose a few before the cruise. lost 9 lbs and i plan to gain every lb back next week!!!

Lucky you! Have a wonderful cruise.

I have this document as a PDF. It is complete with the pictures, but not the questions/comments in between my main posts.

If you would like a copy I'd be glad to email it to you. Just send me an email at my user name at Gmail.

Have a great time on your Oasis cruise (or any other for that matter!).

I have this document as a PDF. It is complete with the pictures, but not the questions/comments in between my main posts.

If you would like a copy I'd be glad to email it to you. Just send me an email at my user name at Gmail.

Have a great time on your Oasis cruise (or any other for that matter!).

Would you consider putting it up on Google docs and putting a link here? That way you won't get flooded with emails (or quite as many!)