Where to eat on embarkation day?

Jo and Rob

I love oriental food! What sort is it? Thai is my favourite but I also like Chinese. I'm not that familiar with Japanese but will have some sushi if it is there. Do they tend to just have main courses in the ethnic areas of starters too? I'm also a fan of Indian food so this sound like a plan!

I can't wait!!! 5 weeks to go.

I'd love to see pictures of the different dining venues if anyone has any handy to embed on this thread. I'm sure others would also find them really useful.

They have sections for Indian, Asian (Chinese and Thai mostly), Italian, English, and Mexican - possibly some I'm not thinking of. Entrees, side dishes and appetizers. Most of these vary a bit day by day with some core items (i.e. pasta to order for Italian) for some of the ethnic foods available every day.

Also, late afternoon through the evening they have a Sushi & Japanese station that can be a snack or a dinner. I don't think they have Japanese for lunch, but could be wrong, although they might have a Japanese breakfast area (didn't appeal to me at all).

Well, just to set the record straight, at Bistro we ordered one savory and one dessert crepe each. So I would not call one crepe 'huge' by any means, although they were delicious and we went 3 times on a 7 day cruise. The cowboy crepe was outstanding as was the Grand Marnier and banana/nutella crepe. Your son could definitely get one just with sugar as they are made to order.

We avoided the buffet like the plague as always, were forced to eat there the last AM. Typical buffet--one stays to hold the table while the other goes for food, then reverse. Absolutely nothing like a relaxing cohesive meal. Lots of selection, but as in almost every buffet I have ever seen, vast quantities of mediocre food. And I hate the jello melting into the gravy!!!:eek::eek:

We usually try to board the ship fairly early and we have never had a problem with the buffet. However, I can see how you would, if you come later. We are going to try Bistro on our next cruise as so many have recommended it.

We have found if you board right away when boarding begins and go right to the buffet, there are no lines and everything is fresh. I would stay away from Bistro on 5. We ate there once and it was not good. Of all the restaurants that you pay extra for, it was the only one we did not like.

Is the Mast Bar a lunch option on Embarkation Day?

Yes.

Generally all the venues that are normally open for lunch on other cruise days are open on embarkation day except for the main dining room.

(Main dining room is open for lunch on sea days only - at one of those days will be their large brunch event).

...We avoided the buffet like the plague as always, were forced to eat there the last AM. Typical buffet--one stays to hold the table while the other goes for food, then reverse. Absolutely nothing like a relaxing cohesive meal. Lots of selection, but as in almost every buffet I have ever seen, vast quantities of mediocre food. And I hate the jello melting into the gravy!!!:eek::eek:

Top each their own - I like the buffet for lunch. While I do find some some foods there are just OK the selection is great and I always find lots of items that appeal to us. I guess we're opposites in some way as usually the only time I have breakfast in the main dining room is on the "last AM". We do that as the buffet breakfast is often a zoo on disembarkation morning due to the limited hours and everyone rising early that day.

We have found if you board right away when boarding begins and go right to the buffet, there are no lines and everything is fresh. I would stay away from Bistro on 5. We ate there once and it was not good. Of all the restaurants that you pay extra for, it was the only one we did not like.

To each their own - we like Bistro on 5 (and many others do as well). It isn't a place we'd go to every day but usually enjoy eating there a couple times a cruise.

Our experience is you cannot have a pre determined plan on embarkation day but an awareness of options. No two embarkations are identical, first timings can change, then passenger habits will vary greatly from cruise to cruise. You may find the buffet is fine, you may find it is mobbed.

What will impact on all of this is the weather and as the op is boarding in England this can be an issue. We have had some very different sail outs from Southampton on Celebrity. One time the weather was very wet therefore everyone was in the buffet and no one was moving after they had finished eating, Bistro on 5 was also crowded as well. On another trip it was a glorious day everyone was exploring before and after lunch so it was not a problem. All eating places were busy but not impossible

To be honest we have experienced very uncomfortable mobbed days in the buffet but none of them were sail away, they were all mid cruise on a port day when all the excursions and most of the independent travellers came back at the same time on a damp day when 95% passengers wanted to be indoors

We avoided the buffet like the plague as always, were forced to eat there the last AM. Typical buffet--one stays to hold the table while the other goes for food, then reverse. Absolutely nothing like a relaxing cohesive meal. Lots of selection, but as in almost every buffet I have ever seen, vast quantities of mediocre food. And I hate the jello melting into the gravy!!!:eek::eek:

It's been a few years since we last cruised and your description brought back "fond" memories of the "buffet dance two-step" - finding a table, juggling plates, getting bumped, people "butting" in, people carrying MOUNTAINS of food (despite the fact that it IS a buffet) - ah memories :) ... Can hardly wait to try the gravy jello ;)

It's been a few years since we last cruised and your description brought back "fond" memories of the "buffet dance two-step" - finding a table, juggling plates, getting bumped, people "butting" in, people carrying MOUNTAINS of food (despite the fact that it IS a buffet) - ah memories :) ... Can hardly wait to try the gravy jello ;)

Yup, that's it exactly! That's why we don't go! Thank goodness there are good alternatives now. Although we do often go up and grab some sushi in the late afternoon since we usually have late dining, and that seems to work out okay.

Hard for me to believe so many people don't have the same experiences or share the same frustrations!!

Yup, that's it exactly! That's why we don't go! Thank goodness there are good alternatives now. Although we do often go up and grab some sushi in the late afternoon since we usually have late dining, and that seems to work out okay.

Hard for me to believe so many people don't have the same experiences or share the same frustrations!!

Interested in seeing how Celebrity does their buffet - sushi sounds great - hopefully the selection and quality it is better here - and that Wasabi and all the fixin's are offered also - in either case, I will be "dining alone" in this particular endeavor as my DW is allergic to shellfish/seafood ;)

Interested in seeing how Celebrity does their buffet - sushi sounds great - hopefully the selection and quality it is better here - and that Wasabi and all the fixin's are offered also - in either case, I will be "dining alone" in this particular endeavor as my DW is allergic to shellfish/seafood ;)

They definitely have all the fixings. Personally, I just like the roll type items that don't really have sushi type seafood - items like vegetarian rolls, items with cooked shrimp or California rolls. But if you are more into sushi there are other items and if you like sashimi and don't see what appeals to you there then definitely talk to the sushi chef manning the buffet there - I've head from other cruisers that they'll be more than happy to work up a special plate for those that like items different from what they have already set out.

I personally avoid the buffet, during the entire cruise, like the plauge. Triple that on embarkation day!! :)

DH and I head to the Aqua Spa cafe for lunch on all days we are onboard, it's usually very empty on embarkation day as everyone gets directed to the buffet.

Does Aqua cafe is reserved for passengers Aqua Class?

Personally I like going to the buffet on embarkation day. It is crowded and hard to find a seat. We grab some food then look for 2 empty chairs. Usually we have to ask folks if we can join them. We have made our first new friends on the cruise. What a way to go!

I personally avoid the buffet, during the entire cruise, like the plauge. Triple that on embarkation day!! :)

DH and I head to the Aqua Spa cafe for lunch on all days we are onboard, it's usually very empty on embarkation day as everyone gets directed to the buffet.

Thank you!

Can amyone eat at the Aqua Spa Cafe or do you have to be Aqua Class ? Is there an extra cost to eat at Aqua spa Cafe ?

The reply was two posts above

No - it is not reserved for Aqua Class. Any passenger can go there

Buffet line fills up quickly, but if you board early it's always a good choice. Grab a table and have a look at your fellow passengers as they pass by. We've had lovely conversations with passengers from all over the world just on that very first day.

This September 11th we leave from Bayonne, NJ for a two week New England/Canada cruise and plan to board early, grab a glass of wine, sit on deck and toast the beautiful skyline of NYC and honor the memories of the WTC men and women.

Oh, this so brought back the memories of the brunch in the dining room. The last time we went I felt physically ill with all the piled plates and waste and combined smells of chocolate and roast beef. LOL

There's nothing that brings out the worst in people like free food. Or those trying to get their "money's worth" out of the offerings.

I think there may be a little confusion here - Embarkation day MDR is open - but not until the evening, so it is only lunch (a late one at that) that you have to worry about - the Oceanview cafe is always a busy place but a huge choice of food, the grill by the pool serves decent burgers, and the aqua cafe serves lovely healthy food - so plenty of options to tide you over until the evening meal.

I think there may be a little confusion here - Embarkation day MDR is open - but not until the evening, so it is only lunch (a late one at that) that you have to worry about...

Good point! I think most of us presumed we were all talking about lunch time immediately after embarking - but looking back the OP didn't mention the time of day they were considering. The main dining rooms are definitely open for dinner as well as the specialty restuarants. If we were in traditional dining my first choice for dinner would be the main dining room (to meet our waiters and/or table mates) and if we were in select my first choice would be a specialty restuarant - probably Tuscan Grill.

Also, the Aqua Spa cafe closes before dinner time and the buffet has a limited selection for dinner.

If you board early there is almost no one there in the buffet. We also realized half way through our cruise that we should go all the way to the back of the room and there was much more room and seating. I think many people did what we did just came in and looked for a seat right there. I didn't realize how much more seating was in the back and on the other side. Live and learn.

Archived