Weather - Mediterranean cruise in Sept/Oct

mrsjjtobe*

As this is a 'general' question, I thought I'd add it here.

We're looking at booking a cruise for our honeymoon in Sept/Oct 2012 in the med. Now I know that the med is quite a bit warmer than here in the UK, but what type of weather am I likely to expect? Is it still shorts and t-shirt weather then? And I know that this is a silly question - but is the temperature significantly lower when the ship is moving, because of the wind factor?

On a side note, are the med seas reasonably calm this time of year? I've never cruised before and I can get quite queasy on smaller boats, so would prefer to minimise the risk by not travelling when I know that there are likely to be big swells in the sea. I've seen some footage on YouTube that are enough to put anyone off cruising for life! :eek:

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance

September will be hotter than October but both will be warm to hot. Late September is a perfect time for the Med......sight seeing is much easier because it is less crowded but things are still open, weather is less humid and it is still day light til 7ish.

Most cruise ships are very, very much bigger than a ferry or seaside pleasure boat so, generally speaking, sea sickness is not a major problem. I always take travel sickness tablets from Boots and we take one if things get a bit rough. We also book a cabin on the lowest level that have the cabin type we want and as near mid ship as possible. This lessens the motion you will feel.

It is much cooler on a moving ship if you are out on an exposed deck but the swimming pools are usually surrounded by semi covered seating areas and are below the the completely open deck area so they are more sheltered. It is difficult to explain in words but if you get cruise ship brochures or look at pictures on the web site you will see what I mean.

Please, please do not be put off by those horror pictures on UTube or, for that matter, by reviews of 'nightmare cruises'. People these days are so keen to find the worst in everything. We are about to embark on our 28th cruise and hope to do many more in the future. Yes, we have had the odd niggle and some cruises and ships have been better than others but, for value for money and ease of travel we don't think you can beat cruising. Go with an open mind, ask questions on here and have a fabulous honeymoon.

Thanks that's very helpful. The cruises that we're looking at depart end of September, so I'm hoping that most of the crowds will have gone by then. Fingers crossed for decent weather too.

I've already heard that one about mid-ship, low-level - this is definitely something we're considering. I can definitely see myself as a lifetime cruiser should this one go well, I just love the idea of being able to wake up in a new destination every other day, and not having to waste time stuck in a coach/airplane. :)

Cheers!

We had an inside cabin on a low deck this last cruise, and I was actually disappointed that I couldn't feel the motion of the sea! So- you'll be fine low down for the 1st time.

Usually the Med is fine as you approach Autumn, but once the equinox is over, and the nights are drawing in, it can actually be quite chilly on deck, especially if you're going at speed.

Are you flying out, or going from Southampton?- because it can get chilly as you near the English Channel.

Enjoy your first cruise....sea sickness is quite rare in the modern ships.

Jo.

Thanks that's very helpful. The cruises that we're looking at depart end of September, so I'm hoping that most of the crowds will have gone by then. Fingers crossed for decent weather too.

I've already heard that one about mid-ship, low-level - this is definitely something we're considering. I can definitely see myself as a lifetime cruiser should this one go well, I just love the idea of being able to wake up in a new destination every other day, and not having to waste time stuck in a coach/airplane. :)

Cheers!

End of September will be fine for the crowds with a few exceptions.

I just want to note that the weather in the Med does range by area that you visit. So, it's not going to be in the 60's and 70's in all places.

I use the following web site to look up historical weather for the places we plan to visit.

http://www.wunderground.com/

Personally, I think that late September and early October are perfect times to visit along with April because weather is nicer and less crowds than the summer. I just want to highlight that the weather is not the same for all countries in the med.

Keith

Archived