Master Chef Dinner on the Amsterdam

On our 14 day Amsterdam Alaskan cruise the Master Chef Dinner in the main dining room was held the evening of Sitka -- same night as the Le Cirque in the Pinnacle.

If you are not interested in this dinner -- the only options for dinner this evening is the Le Cirque for $39 per person in the Pinnacle, the Lido, the Canaletto or room service.

We chose to go to the Canaletto.

Maste Chef Dinner options:

Appetizers:

Dialogue of Salmon Tartare with Avacado

or

Golden Baked Brie in Phyllo Dough

Soups and Salad:

Oxtail en Croute

or

Lobster Bisque

or

Master Chef's Rudi's Salad

Entrees:

Tagliatelle with Roasted Chicken

or

Sauteed Shrimp Provencal

or

Apricot Glazed Salmon

or

Roasted Whole Tenderloin of Beef

or

Grilled Lamb Chops with Oregano and Apple Chutney

or

Duck Breast a l'orange

or

Wild Mushroom Strudel

Desserts:

Baked Alaska

Flourless Chocolate Cake

Individual Baked Alaska (no sugar added)

Vanilla Ice Cream

Peach Ice Cream

Lemon Sorbet

Vanilla Frozen Yogurt

No Sugar Added Vanilla Ice Cream

The Master Chef's Sundae

Fruit Crisp of the Day - Apple

Sliced Fruit Plate

Artison Cheese Selection

On our 14 day Amsterdam Alaskan cruise the Master Chef Dinner in the main dining room was held the evening of Sitka -- same night as the Le Cirque in the Pinnacle.

If you are not interested in this dinner -- the only options for dinner this evening is the Le Cirque for $39 per person in the Pinnacle, the Lido, the Canaletto or room service.

We chose to go to the Canaletto.

Looks and sounds wonderful, but what did you have at the Canaletto? Recommendations?

Thanx for the info, KK. How did you enjoy the 14 day itinerary? We went last year on May 31st, and I'm going again this year on the Aug. 5th sailing. Looking forward to it again - actually, can't wait! As we rarely dine in the MDR, the Masters Chef dinner doesn't impact me one way or another, we'll be Lido bound, as always :D- or maybe do Canteletto that night.

I chose the Salmon Tartare and the Beef Tenderloin (phenomenal mushroom sauce). The Lobster Bisque was possibly the worst I have ever had, but others at my table finished theirs. This was my best meal of the entire sailing and I did not regret dining in the MDR that night (I am not a fan of the dancing waiters, etc.) As I mentioned in my comments on the AK Explorer thread, dinner service here was excruciatingly slow.

Not having attended a Master Chef's Dinner in about three years, we were pleasantly surprised on this Amsterdam Cruise that it was not too bad. The crew has the timing down well, there were no delays, the only entertainer participating is a singer, and the menu is better than it was. (And no tossing of salad on the floor which happened at one of the early ones we attended - just juggling of plastic peppers and banging large salad bowls). They have eliminated the Sousa march for the baked Alaska parade and substituted a more modern song the crew can dance to.

For those who have eaten @ Canteletto I understand there is no charge but you have to make reservations?? is that something you do on the ship or can you do it in advance and what is served??

what are the dinning times?

Is it open @ lunch? or just dinner??

The Master Chef Dinner on the Statendam, had a big delay before dessert, which was disappointing.

@picture - If it is the same through all ships Caneletto is only open for dinner, and reservations are I believe made on board.

Thanks for the menu for the MCD, Krazy Kruisers. Looks like the menu has expanded from my last one on the Veendam in January '11, except for the soups and appetizers. We had no choice of desserts at all on that one, just the Baked Alaska was served, which has never been one of my favourites.

Looks and sounds wonderful, but what did you have at the Canaletto? Recommendations?

Canaletto

I had:

Zuppe Di Pesce

Chicken Marsala

Mille-Feuille of Madagascar Chocolate – With walnut praline and ice-cream

DH had:

Minestrone

Cod Putanesca

Mille-Feuille of Madagascar Chocolate

Before dessert was served everyone was served a plate of cotton candy.

Everything was excellent.

Thanx for the info, KK. How did you enjoy the 14 day itinerary? We went last year on May 31st, and I'm going again this year on the Aug. 5th sailing. Looking forward to it again - actually, can't wait! As we rarely dine in the MDR, the Masters Chef dinner doesn't impact me one way or another, we'll be Lido bound, as always :D- or maybe do Canteletto that night.

We loved the itinerary.

If it weren't such a hassle flying to and from Seattle we would do this itinerary again.

In Philadelphia they did not have my wheel chair there for me to get from one terminal to the other one. After walking about 1/3 of the way we flagged down a cart -- just made it to the plane as they were getting ready to board.

For those who have eaten @ Canteletto I understand there is no charge but you have to make reservations?? is that something you do on the ship or can you do it in advance and what is served??

what are the dinning times?

Is it open @ lunch? or just dinner??

That is correct -- there is no charge for the Canaletto which is open only for lunch.

Reservations can only be made once you are on the ship.

We already knew what night the MCD was going to be -- so as soon as we got on the ship we made our reservations.

Thanks for the menu for the MCD' date=' Krazy Kruisers. Looks like the menu has expanded from my last one on the Veendam in January '11, except for the soups and appetizers. We had no choice of desserts at all on that one, just the Baked Alaska was served, which has never been one of my favourites.[/quote']

I didn't save my MCD menus from the Ryndam or the Nieuw Amsterdam -- but it does certainly looks as though more items have been added to it.

We are not fond of the dining room's Baked Alaska either -- in fact I don't even like the Baked Alaska in the Pinnacle but DH likes that one.

That is correct -- there is no charge for the Canaletto which is open only for lunch.

We already knew what night the MCD was going to be -- so as soon as we got on the ship we made our reservations.

I had thought the Canaletto was open for dinner, not lunch. Am I wrong?

I had thought the Canaletto was open for dinner, not lunch. Am I wrong?

No, you're right. I think KK's two fingers had a typo:eek: It is open for dinner, not lunch (unless something has changed very, very recently:D)

No, you're right. I think KK's two fingers had a typo:eek: It is open for dinner, not lunch (unless something has changed very, very recently:D)
You are correct, only open for dinner. Reservations are important unless you like to dine late (8:30).

I'm sure this has been answered before, but where do you make the Canalleto reservations when you board? I think I remember someone mentioning you do it outside the Lido entrance...? Or is it near where the Canalleto is set up in the evening?

Penny

Hi

Just got back from the Amsterdams 14 cruise to Alaska. I had copies of menu's some one came over and was reading them now the are messed up. The menus are marked day one on fron of first page 2nd does not have a number. If you have copies I would appriciate if you wrote down top page thaks. I don't need the whole menu just top line and day

Thank You

Mary

Yes, that is correct. Penny. There will be a podium outside the mid-ship entrance to the Lido Restaurant and a steward will make your reservation.

Thanks for the info!

Penny

Hi

Just got back from the Amsterdams 14 cruise to Alaska. I had copies of menu's some one came over and was reading them now the are messed up. The menus are marked day one on fron of first page 2nd does not have a number. If you have copies I would appriciate if you wrote down top page thaks. I don't need the whole menu just top line and day

Thank You

Mary

I posted the menus from our 14 day cruise here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1437434

Archived