Need help with beds for kids on Ruby

GwenyP

We're booked in a quad BA, cabin C535 on the Ruby. There's two pulldown beds. We're bringing our two kids, 3 1/2 and 7. Our 7 year old has disabilities and wouldn't be able to sleep on the pullman as there's a risk of her falling off. Same with our 3 year old. On our previous cruises on Carnival there was always a sofabed in a standard balcony room but it doesn't sound like there's one on Princess unless you book a mini-suite. The sofabed was perfect for our 7-year-old.

So what have others done with two kids who couldn't use the pullman? Two rollaways? Or can you put the mattresses from the pullman on the floor?

We're considering upgrading to a mini-suite but really shouldn't be spending the extra $$ if we don't have to.

We're booked in a quad BA, cabin C535 on the Ruby. There's two pulldown beds. We're bringing our two kids, 3 1/2 and 7. Our 7 year old has disabilities and wouldn't be able to sleep on the pullman as there's a risk of her falling off. Same with our 3 year old. On our previous cruises on Carnival there was always a sofabed in a standard balcony room but it doesn't sound like there's one on Princess unless you book a mini-suite. The sofabed was perfect for our 7-year-old.

So what have others done with two kids who couldn't use the pullman? Two rollaways? Or can you put the mattresses from the pullman on the floor?

We're considering upgrading to a mini-suite but really shouldn't be spending the extra $$ if we don't have to.

In a balcony cabin, there is only one real answer to this. The adults will have to sleep in the upper bunks and the children in the lowers. There is not enough space in a balcony cabin for two roll away beds, in fact even one will make the stateroom wall to wall beds. So, I would consider putting both children in the lowers and the adults sleeping above.

Even if you upgrade to a mini suite, the sofa sleeper is a single and will only sleep one (even children) and there is absolutely no space in a mini suite for a roll away bed. Good Luck with this.

Here is a YouTube video of a balcony cabin which will show you the floor space available with only the two beds as twins: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8RJ66HQ00k&feature=youtu.be

This thread shows pictures of a balcony cabin with the two uppers in place: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=415324

And this will take you to a picture of a mini suite with the sofa bed and 4th bunk made up for the evening (to show you the floor space available): http://travel.webshots.com/photo/1290537902015325211uKRMuQ?vhost=travel

I would call the cruise line and talk to them about your daughter's disabilities. They do have balcony rooms that are specifically for handicapped individuals (I would bet these are already taken). These rooms are normally larger to accomodate wheelchairs, etc.

We've had a mini-suites on the Ruby and Crown. Personally, I think two kids would be fine in the sofa sleeper if they don't mind sharing a bed. Our daughter had plenty of room. In fact, some nights, my husband or I would sleep with her for a few hours during the night. We were very comfortable.

The mini suite is a little bigger too. In my opinion, that would be your best option. The mini suites in the aft corners have huge balconies too.

We've booked these for the past two years. There are covered decks, and uncovered decks for these mini suites. We actually loved the uncovered decks. Better photo ops, and lots of sunbathing room too!

Patti

I would call the cruise line and talk to them about your daughter's disabilities. They do have balcony rooms that are specifically for handicapped individuals (I would bet these are already taken). These rooms are normally larger to accomodate wheelchairs, etc.

We've had a mini-suites on the Ruby and Crown. Personally, I think two kids would be fine in the sofa sleeper if they don't mind sharing a bed. Our daughter had plenty of room. In fact, some nights, my husband or I would sleep with her for a few hours during the night. We were very comfortable.

The mini suite is a little bigger too. In my opinion, that would be your best option. The mini suites in the aft corners have huge balconies too.

We've booked these for the past two years. There are covered decks, and uncovered decks for these mini suites. We actually loved the uncovered decks. Better photo ops, and lots of sunbathing room too!

Patti

Definitely contact them to ask about handicapped cabins. Tell them that you'll even fax them a doctor's letter if needed. It could be possible (from reading some posts here on CC about people booking them just to get the extra space, not because of a disability) that Princess could make a moveover offer to someone who did book one.

Archived