Problem with beds on Ruby Princess ... suggestions?

GwenyP

We're booked in a quad BA, cabin C535 on the Ruby. There's two pulldown beds. We're bringing our two kids, 3 1/2 and 7. Our 7 year old has disabilities and wouldn't be able to sleep on the pullman as there's a risk of her falling off. Same with our 3 year old. On our previous cruises on Carnival there was always a sofabed in a standard balcony room but it doesn't sound like there's one on Princess unless you book a mini-suite. The sofabed was perfect for our 7-year-old.

So what have others done with two kids who couldn't use the pullman? Two rollaways? Or can you put the mattresses from the pullman on the floor?

We're considering upgrading to a mini-suite but really shouldn't be spending the extra $$ if we don't have to.

I would call the cruise line, and let them know that about your daughter's disability. There are cabins that are specifically for handicapped. They are larger, but I'm not certain what the sleep arrangements are for more than two people. It's work a phone call!

The mini-suites are larger, and they do have a pull out sofa. That's what we had the past two years on the Ruby and the Crown. There are a few mini-suites that have a super large balcony too - aft corners.

I still think you should call. Who knows, they may upgrade you to a mini suite if there are no acessible cabins. That would solve the bed issues!

I posted on the Princess board about this too. The sofa beds do have enough room for two kids in the mini suites.

Floor space is a premium in those cabins, however, you could put one of the kids on the floor next to the bed or in front of the desk and have the other one sleep in the walk in closet area in front of the bathroom. I agree, I wouldn't put either child on the overhead beds and it may be difficult for you & DH to be up their and need to get up and down for the kids. Another option might be having one parent sleep in the upper bed and having the two kids share a bed.

Here is a pic that shows the walk in closet area:

ry%3D400

And this one is the area in front of the desk next to the bed:

ry%3D400

Thanks for the ideas. I foresee us probably having to spend the money on the mini-suite. No one goes on vacation and spending all this money to sleep in a closet or to sleep like crap on an uncomfortable pullman.

Ah well, it is what it is. ;)

Hi,

My husband is a wheelchair user and we've sailed on the Ruby in an accessible mini-suite and it was wonderful. The accessible mini-suites have a pull-out sofa bed. In December we are doing a family cruise and we will have 4 mini-suites and 6 children. We did that so we will have 2 kids in each of the 3 mini-suites. My husband and I get the accessible cabin to ourselves but will host the family gatherings! Do call Princess' access office. If your daughter isn't a wheelchair user, a standard mini-suite with a pull-out sofa should be fine.

Maggie

Another option is to have the bottom beds pushed together and have them against a side wall. An adult and two kids can easily sleep in that and possibly all four since the kids are so small. No one will fall off the side near the wall. An adult can sleep in the Pullman, they aren't all that uncomfy.

Another option is to have the bottom beds pushed together and have them against a side wall. An adult and two kids can easily sleep in that and possibly all four since the kids are so small. No one will fall off the side near the wall. An adult can sleep in the Pullman, they aren't all that uncomfy.
The upper berths are no less comfortable than the lower beds. My 54 year old sister spent an entire 14 night cruise in one (I offered to switch with her midway thru the cruise)and said that she loved her little "nest".

Archived