Alaksa weather while at sea

murphyriley

We are heading to Alaska on the Spirit departing 7/12. Just wanted to find out others experiences regaring weather while on the ship. Specifically an educated guess of how cold it will be during our days at sea. It's easy enough to check weather.com for the various days in port, but I am not sure what to bring for days at sea. I am anticipating wanting to be out on the balcony for the scenery and I don't want to freeze! Thanks in advance!icon7.gif

We bought two pairs of jeans, a couple of fleece pull-overs, one winter coat each, ear mufflers, and warm gloves when we were on Spirit last August. It gets quite cold while going through Tracy Arm Fijord, and you want to be outside for that in order to enjoy the ever-changing scenery!!!

Just got back last night. I concur with what the others said. We were fine with fleeces and jeans. But, close to the glacier we were glad we had hat and gloves. I also packed a rain repellent wind breaker and carried it in my backpack

While at sea, temperatures will range from 45 to 65 depending on whether or not it is raining and how far north you are. The wind over the deck will decrease the apparent temperature by at least 10 degrees.. In other words, it will be pretty chilly. It will likely be cloudy and rainy a lot of the time. Near glaciers you can expect it to be at least 20 degrees colder.

Archived