Why is Dress Code Only Adhered To In The Dining Room...???

That's true but encouraging a cruise line to relax their dress requirements by speaking up makes it a better vacation value in my eyes and in no way keeps the formalists from dressing if they so desire.

In my lifetime of cruising various line I've seen food improvements in the buffet, smoking restrictions throughout the ships and even some dress code relaxations, all changes brought about by the ships passengers being voicetress about the subjects.

I join the ranks of HAL cruisers not only encouraging management to continue with Formal Nights, but to find ways to enforce it better. That is my message to management. I assume HAL is listening to me too.

Afterall, I shall also assume the Zuiderdam Pinnacle Grill improved due to my constant barrage of attacks after our one disasterous evening (6/18/10):p

I can't do man-made fiber-not allergic but it's a texture thing, so silks and cottons are best for me.

I also get overheated easily. I dress up when I have to,but in the Caribbean(where it's hot-or anywhere hot-I'm all about comfort. Having the A/C on full blast in the MDR helps, though.)

I can't do man-made fiber-not allergic but it's a texture thing, so silks and cottons are best for me.

I also get overheated easily. I dress up when I have to,but in the Caribbean(where it's hot-or anywhere hot-I'm all about comfort. Having the A/C on full blast in the MDR helps, though.)

You must be among the lucky ones then that can wear the sleeveless, bare-armed or strapless great dressy dresses in the main dining room, that have to be the easiest things possible to pack --- with a simple natural fabric stole just in case the A/C gets to you too. I envy those who can still wear these wonderful dresses. There are so many cute choices in this category for formal wear. http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=silk+cruise+evening+dress&_sacat=See-All-Categories

I join the ranks of HAL cruisers not only encouraging management to continue with Formal Nights, but to find ways to enforce it better. That is my message to management. I assume HAL is listening to me too.

Afterall, I shall also assume the Zuiderdam Pinnacle Grill improved due to my constant barrage of attacks after our one disasterous evening (6/18/10):p

You have every right to but there will come a time when there are sufficient numbers of casual dressers demanding the opposite and that might not be to far in the future. The Celebrity survey is about 2 to 1 in favor of keeping formal nights and that cruise line is very similar to HAL in most respects. That's a significant number not wanting to formally dress & I doubt if they'll be satisfied with eating at the buffet.

I enjoy dressing up on formal nights. When other passengers do not adhere to the formal designation (I'm talking jeans, shorts, t-shirts, tank tops, etc.), it definitely changes the entire atmosphere of the ship. My main complaint on HAL is that they designate certain nights as formal, request that passengers observe the dress code for the entire evening, and then don't enforce it. Although I would miss having some formal nights on a cruise, I think I would be happy to see HAL make ALL nights Smart Casual. HAL would need to have a very clear definition of what constitutes "Smart Casual," and I would definitely want that designation to be enforced throughout the ship. No blue jeans, jogging suits, sneakers, shorts, t-shirts, tank tops, etc. in the main dining room or at the evening show. In other words, no "come as you are" attire.

I enjoy dressing up on formal nights. When other passengers do not adhere to the formal designation (I'm talking jeans, shorts, t-shirts, tank tops, etc.), it definitely changes the entire atmosphere of the ship. My main complaint on HAL is that they designate certain nights as formal, request that passengers observe the dress code for the entire evening, and then don't enforce it. Although I would miss having some formal nights on a cruise, I think I would be happy to see HAL make ALL nights Smart Casual. HAL would need to have a very clear definition of what constitutes "Smart Casual," and I would definitely want that designation to be enforced throughout the ship. No blue jeans, jogging suits, sneakers, shorts, t-shirts, tank tops, etc. in the main dining room or at the evening show. In other words, no "come as you are" attire.

That sounds OK but I'm assuming that by your statement that jeans of any other color would be acceptable - mine aren't blue.

My main complaint on HAL is that they designate certain nights as formal, request that passengers observe the dress code for the entire evening, and then don't enforce it.

How would HAL enforce this request since they provide the Lido for those who do not desire to dress formally?

You have every right to but there will come a time when there are sufficient numbers of casual dressers demanding the opposite and that might not be to far in the future. The Celebrity survey is about 2 to 1 in favor of keeping formal nights and that cruise line is very similar to HAL in most respects. That's a significant number not wanting to formally dress & I doubt if they'll be satisfied with eating at the buffet.

My main concern is that the minority is determined to have their own way, no matter what.

Often this is done by scoffing the dress code.

Like others have posted, this gets in my craw. What's worse is accompanying justifications about why ignoring the dress code is "right". The reasons seem to boil down to "It's what I want, and I always get what I want. I don't care what anyone else wants, even if they're the majority."

Judging by the number of posts in your profile on dress codes, dress appears to be a very important aspect of your cruise experience.

But, since there are already plenty of cruise lines which have adopted the sort of dress code you seek, why not just cruise with one of them?

Why not just ignore the remaining lines, and let them be booked by those who like to dress up occasionally?

Is there a reason you feel dress codes must be abolished on all cruise lines?

My main concern is that the minority is determined to have their own way, no matter what.

Often this is done by scoffing the dress code.

Like others have posted, this gets in my craw. What's worse is accompanying justifications about why ignoring the dress code is "right". The reasons seem to boil down to "It's what I want, and I always get what I want. I don't care what anyone else wants, even if they're the majority."

Judging by the number of posts in your profile on dress codes, dress appears to be a very important aspect of your cruise experience.

But, since there are already plenty of cruise lines which have adopted the sort of dress code you seek, why not just cruise with one of them?

Why not just ignore the remaining lines, and let them be booked by those who like to dress up occasionally?

Is there a reason you feel dress codes must be abolished on all cruise lines?

It doesn't have to be eliminated entirely but simply provide a section of the restaurant for both casual & formal. Until they do you'll have people like myself bending the dress code to fit my style & annoying those that truly want formal nights. What's more desirable, having a separate section for the formalists or intermingling the people who bend the rules scattered through out the dining room with their jackets hanging over the chairs & no ties & a short sleeve polo shirt (who had no intention of wearing a jacket in the first place?)

It doesn't have to be eliminated entirely but simply provide a section of the restaurant for both casual & formal. Until they do you'll have people like myself bending the dress code to fit my style & annoying those that truly want formal nights. What's more desirable, having a separate section for the formalists or intermingling the people who bend the rules scattered through out the dining room with their jackets hanging over the chairs & no ties & a short sleeve polo shirt (who had no intention of wearing a jacket in the first place?)

Thank you for stating your position clearly.

Unlike you, I try to pick a cruise line that best fits most of my preferences. I then accept those things which aren't perfect, and yield.

I do so because that's the behaviour I was taught meant acting like adult and being considerate of others.

Since, in some cruisers' view HAL seems reluctant to enforce the formal dress code, and voluntary adherence isn't universal, are there cruise lines that strictly enforce said code.

Are those lines an attractive alternative to those who appreciate that enforcement?

Since, in some cruisers' view HAL seems reluctant to enforce the formal dress code, and voluntary adherence isn't universal, are there cruise lines that strictly enforce said code.

Are those lines an attractive alternative to those who appreciate that enforcement?

Crystal is not 100% strict, but it seems to at least attract passengers who enjoy and appreciate Formal Nights with great relish ... because they want to. And yes, they do ask for dress of the day guidelines throughout the ship after 6pm and it happens.

However, even with these strong traditions voluntarily met and always with the understanding they would be enforced, there was a very large gentleman dining alone who wore shorts and a loose shirt every night in the main dining room, which is quite formal in its own right. He was a known quantity among the staff and they admitted he got a free pass on this.

But his exception did not change the accepted rule that passengers who choose Crystal in the first place like to dress up -- a lot. Like couture, not just sparkle tops. Like they must still bring steamer trunks full of taffeta.:p All of which made this a very pleasant and fun cruising experience because dressing up was just plain fun.

How would HAL enforce this request since they provide the Lido for those who do not desire to dress formally?

I think it would be pretty simple. There would be no formal nights....only smart casual nights, which would not include shorts, t-shirts, etc for dinner in the evening.....even in the Lido.

Crystal is not 100% strict, but it seems to at least attract passengers who enjoy and appreciate Formal Nights with great relish ... because they want to. And yes, they do ask for dress of the day guidelines throughout the ship after 6pm and it happens.

However, even with these strong traditions voluntarily met and always with the understanding they would be enforced, there was a very large gentleman dining alone who wore shorts and a loose shirt every night in the main dining room, which is quite formal in its own right. He was a known quantity among the staff and they admitted he got a free pass on this.

But his exception did not change the accepted rule that passengers who choose Crystal in the first place like to dress up -- a lot. Like couture, not just sparkle tops. Like they must still bring steamer trunks full of taffeta.:p All of which made this a very pleasant and fun cruising experience because dressing up was just plain fun.

Sounds like you've found the cruise line that fits your style to a T. Why would you even consider sailing on HAL since you enjoyed Crystal so much? You keep telling everyone else to cruise on a line that suits their style so why don't you practice what you preach? :p

Does the Crystal dress code allow one to change after dinner on formal nights to Casual Evening Attire?...Perhaps I am reading it wrong but it seems like that is what their website is saying.

That sounds OK but I'm assuming that by your statement that jeans of any other color would be acceptable - mine aren't blue.

It's not the jeans style that's the problem. A nice pair of white jeans with a summery top can look really nice. It's the blue jeans - too much room for interpretation there! I'm talking faded out blue jeans. (You know the look....old faded jeans....maybe the huge t-shirt hanging out over them. :eek:) I definitely would not consider that as being Smart Casual attire!

Maybe HAL can have a 'new' end of cruise questionnaire regarding dress codes.

"Will you continue to cruise with HAL if the dress code is changed?";)

When was the last time they had a poll on the HAL board posing the question? or Maybe no one thought it necessary since so many love to dress.

It's not the jeans style that's the problem. A nice pair of white jeans with a summery top can look really nice. It's the blue jeans - too much room for interpretation there! I'm talking faded out blue jeans. (You know the look....old faded jeans....maybe the huge t-shirt hanging out over them. :eek:) I definitely would not consider that as being Smart Casual attire!

So it's more the color that upsets people than the actual material. I have many that are powder blue, although not to faded, which I wear on all casual nights with a Polo.

We have sailed on Regent, Seabourn, HAL, Princess and Carnival most recently and Silver Seas, NCL, X and Curnard in the past. In the 80's and 90's, all ships were more formal and had formal nights where a dark suit or tux were the only option for the MDR...needless to say that has changed. Thank goodness...for many reasons!!!

On Regent, slacks and collared shirt (polo) or dressier is OK for "formal optional". Basicly it is the same as any other night, except the "formal optional" nights usually have a cocktail party, a fancy menu and encourage people to dress up, if they want.

Seabourn requires men to have a jacket and slacks at least every night and there will more fancy clothes on formal nights though only a jacket and tie are required.

On these two luxury lines, you will see everything from casual (no shorts or tank tops allowed) to tux and beaded long gowns, actually not only on the "formal optional" nights but other nights too. Some how everyone has the grace/good mannors to get along and even sit together at the same table and socialize!

Carnival is the most relaxed, but we still didn't see any shorts or tank tops...the men were in mostly slacks, a few in jeans and nice shirts and some even wore tux and formals on the "elegant dress night".

HAL and Princess have a suggested dress for formal nights that includes a jacket for men. But, since it is only a suggested dress, it does leave room for men wear a LS or SS shirt and slacks only, like it or not. Personally we are fine with it though we dress up a little more, but in no way formally, not any more.

We have never seen (noticed) shorts and tank tops in the HAL MDRs (even on casual nights). The HAL formal nights we have attended (we always eat in the MDR) seem to have a wide mix...from shirt sleeves to tux for men and simple dresses/pants outfits for women to Tux and long formals, though the very dressy is a definite minority. Of couse, the itinerary affects the dress also.

HAL can't enforce anything they don't require.

DH and I would definitely like to see the" formal" night label changed to a "formal optional" label with at least shirts with collar/sleeves and slacks for men and dress or shirts/long pants and nice tops for ladies.

HAL are you reading this?

HAL passengers are always saying that HAL is more upscale than mass market...if this is true....then HAL should do what the true upscale lines are doing...go to formal optional, it seems to be a win win for everyone. It also just might put a lid on the dress code war of words on CC.

So it's more the color that upsets people than the actual material. I have many that are powder blue, although not to faded, which I wear on all casual nights with a Polo.

No, it's not the material. It's the whole connotation that blue jeans have. I'm sure you know the kind of jeans I'm referring to....your favorite, worn-out, faded blue jeans that you wear at home. I'm sure everyone owns at least 1 pair of them! Great for home....not so great for a Smart Casual night on a cruise ship! I'm sure what you are describing looks lovely.

I think it would be pretty simple. There would be no formal nights....only smart casual nights, which would not include shorts, t-shirts, etc for dinner in the evening.....even in the Lido.

But would HAL then enforce the "smart casual" rule would it get pushed down to some wanting really casual casual and they would come to the MDR in shorts and t-shirts. After all, it is their cruise! I think this is one reason HAL keeps formal night. They know there are those that are always going to push the envelope mainly to see what they can get away with, so HAL keeps formal night knowing they won't enforce it, but figuring the envelope will then only be pushed so far down.

Now this is an interesting statement as on another thread you made it clear that the minority should not rule and now, it appears it should.

I guess it just depends upon what you like;)

Archived