Dubrovnik: June Experience, Tips, Visuals, Fun!

Appreciate the nice comments from our South Africa friend. There were four of us, including two men of about 6'2". It worked fine for us, but it was a little tight. Much would depend on the age and size of the two children. Maybe. Maybe not. The good news is that you are not going long, long distances. Fairly short distances. Several stops were made during our Panoramic Tour. Most of the cabs, as I recall were about the same size. Not super big, but not tiny. We were very happy and enjoyed the experience so much. It was a wonderful start for a great visit to this charming, historic town.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Thanks Terry! My children are 3ys and 5yrs so should be do-able!

Hi Did the taxi drop at a pile gate not near the harbour? You said you got a taxi but also said you climbed 50 steps sorry mis understanding this cheers

Mercury: Thanks Terry! My children are 3ys and 5yrs so should be do-able!

YES! Our taxi' date=' after doing the Panoramic Tour, [b']dropped us right near the Pile Gate that is pictured below[/b]. There are some steps going down and then up after you enter the Pile Gate in going to the main street inside the walled city. Does this help? Other questions?

Sounds like for Mercury that with kids that age, then things should work fine inside most of the cabs.

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 65,713 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

This is Dubrovnik’s Pile Gate as the grand western entrance to the walled city.:

DubPileGate2Enter.jpg

Hi Mercury You must be on the cruise before we embark July 17th at Rome. Will be great to get your view on tourist things

Hi Buranogal

Yes, we're on the July 5 cruise from Venice to Rome.

Do you also have children? I must say that planning for a cruise with children is very different to when my DH and I were cruising just the two of us! I am now trying to make sure that everything we do is very child friendly!

Mercury no children these days. Been there done that ha ha!! Our turn now. They did have great kids clubs tho and I loved how they had dinner before us while we had cocktails and the crew checked the cabins babysit style in between our checking. My son got a terrible cold probably passed thru the air-con or that jackets were in luggage and I didnt realise how breezy the sail away would be on deck out of Sydney. But he soldiered on. I would pack plenty of pharmacy lines ie tummy bug, cough syrup, panadol, etc if I had my time again with littlies. They had talent quests mocktail dinners dress up events. Goodluck with them Im sure you all will have a fab time :)

• 2 months later...

Terry -- Thank you so much!!! Loved the pictures and this will help me out in our planning. I just didn't know if there were a lot of buildings/churches/palaces, etc., in the city that were worth exploring. The lunch spot looks incredible!! Do you know approximate fee for cable car up and down?

Daisy -- Someone said it was a way and to take a taxi there. Not sure of the price for the taxi for sure. I believe someone quoted a fee of around 10 euro.

If i take a taxi to Pile gate in order to use a credit card to enter, then walk along wall to cable cars, can I get back in the Ploca gate after the cable cars with the same ticket? Thanks for all the info!!

• 2 months later...
Appreciate the kind and nice comments on my visuals. Dubrovnik deserves the great credit. One of the big reasons to do this cruise was the chance to see Dubrovnik and a sampling of the Croatian Coast. It worked out very well, especially with the wonderful weather for that day and not having any other cruise ships in town that day. The panoramic cab tour was also great and positive "luck" that worked so well for us. Seeing Dubrovnik from those high vantage points was very important.

I also was so super glad that I did the wall walk. That was thrilling and very fascinating. It takes some work and effort, but was spectacularly worth it. Let me know any other questions. I'll re-check through my pictures to see if there are any other major ones that would be helpful to add to this collection/sampling.

What part of Ohio is native Buckeye teachinla from? How long ago? Great heritage!

Just back from a June 7-19 Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc. These postings are now at 18,364 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2011, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 45,879 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Appreciate those who have “tuned in” for these two posts. Don’t be shy and feel free to comment and/or ask any questions of interest.

Terry, thanks for all your great info and pictures. We will be there on 13th July and look forward to it. We, too, want to do the panoramic tour and lunch at Kormada -- did you reserve a table ? How did you get back to the ship after your day ? Thanks

Is the main gate/city walls walkable from where the ship docks?

Its far. Don't know the distance, but its a few miles.

You might want to check if they even allow you. There were 2 ports in which you had to be in a bus or cab to leave the port. Salerno was one, don't remember if Dubrovnik was the other.

Its far. Don't know the distance, but its a few miles.

You might want to check if they even allow you. There were 2 ports in which you had to be in a bus or cab to leave the port. Salerno was one, don't remember if Dubrovnik was the other.

The Pile Brsalje entrance to old part of Dubrovnik can be walked, but only if you want to waste about one hour going uphill via our business district. Take the ship shuttle service or private taxi and spend your time walking the walls and the historical part of town located within the city wall.

Is the main gate/city walls walkable from where the ship docks?

salty jim1: Terry' date=' thanks for all your great info and pictures. We will be there on 13th July and look forward to it. We, too, want to do the panoramic tour and lunch at Kormada -- did you reserve a table ? How did you get back to the ship after your day ? Thanks[/quote']

Travel To Be Free: Terry -- Thank you so much!!! Loved the pictures and this will help me out in our planning. I just didn't know if there were a lot of buildings/churches/palaces' date=' etc., in the city that were worth exploring. The lunch spot looks incredible!! Do you know approximate fee for cable car up and down? [/quote']

Per Google maps, it is about two miles from where most ships dock to the main part of the walled city. Plus, part of the trip is uphill and not all an exciting, interesting visual experience. Not bad, just not anything I would call that enjoyable or exciting. Your time is valuable in this great area. I would do a cab and/or ship shuttle to be more time-efficient.

YES for lyst, there are cabs available of the ride back from the historic city to your ship. That's what we did. As I recall, it was ten euro total for the four of us.

For Travel To Be Free, as I recall, the cable car last year was 12 euro a person. That's why the panoramic tour at 50 euro for four of us seemed to be such a good value. We had the super views from up, UP there, without the time standing in line for the cable car. Plus, seeing and learning more. Also, a couple in our group would not have had the stomach for riding such a car up to the top and back.

Appreciate so much the nice comments by salty jim1 and Travel To Be Free. It's fun sharing about this great and highly interesting city.

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 91,280 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

• 1 month later...

A big THANK YOU to DubrovnikTravelLady and Terry in Ohio! You both are fabulous resources here and I appreciate all your help so much. We were in Dubrovnik last month and were absolutely wowed by this gorgeous city. All of your tips and advice helped so much.

We did the panoramic taxi ride, and Terry, I ended up with several photos that are almost identical to yours. Thanks for the advice to take this ride. It was very easy, we just walked off the ship and there were people there ready to take us.

Dubrovnik proved to be one of my favorite ports on this trip, and is one of the most beautiful places I've ever seen. I hope I'll be able to go back someday. Thanks again ladies!

Here's the stunning view from my balcony when I woke up the morning we arrived in Dubrovnik, and it just got better from here. :)

P7030412.jpg

Pleased to hear you enjoyed my retirement home. There is a fantastic view around each corner, I am always amazed. I was in town on your day here, spent it with a couple off the Breeze. We ended our afternoon at one of our local sea side restaurants, with a view of the town over a 3 hour leisurely lunch. They also feel in love with Dubrovnik. I always ask the same question, what's not to love.

Just finishing reading your trip report, it was as though I was cruising with you, fantastic! Come back again, you will find many more hidden gems.

Edited by Dubrovniktravelady

Hello,

I am cruising the Breeze in October, I wonder do Carnival offers any shuttle to the downtown near the gate? If so, how much it will cost.

Next question, How to follow your recent ports review with the Breeze? I believe you have each port review. Thank you

hey Terry in Ohio..great shots...I gotta know, what camera and lens did you use? Thanks, Terry from Toledo via Atlanta

luckybecky: A big THANK YOU to DubrovnikTravelLady and Terry in Ohio! You both are fabulous resources here and I appreciate all your help so much. We were in Dubrovnik last month and were absolutely wowed by this gorgeous city. All of your tips and advice helped so much. We did the panoramic taxi ride' date=' and Terry, I ended up with several photos that are almost identical to yours. Thanks for the advice to take this ride. It was very easy, we just walked off the ship and there were people there ready to take us. Dubrovnik proved to be one of my favorite ports on this trip, and is one of the most beautiful places I've ever seen. I hope I'll be able to go back someday. Thanks again ladies! [/quote']

BostonGirl88: I wonder do Carnival offers any shuttle to the downtown near the gate? If so' date=' how much it will cost. [/quote']

Appreciate the nice comments from our former Toledo, Ohio, "neighbor", Triton06. My camera used for these Dubrovnik pictures was a Nikon D3100 with a regular 18-55mm zoom, plus a longer 55-300mm and 10-20mm wide angle lenses. The three biggest secrets to share is for . . . taking lots of pictures to improve your success odds, being creative in angles/framing and most important only showing people "the good ones". Don't bore people with average or only OK pictures.

Glad things worked so well for Becky in doing the Panoramic tour and getting the million-dollar views from up high above the walled city. For BostonGirl, I would skip the Carnival shuttle and do such a cab introductory tour in order to get a good overview of this historic walled city, plus connect you from the docking point to the gate to enter this wonderful place. If you just use the cab as your basic shuttle, it's ten euro for two, three or four people in the taxi. The Panoramic tour was 50 euro. Good value for us with four people.

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 96,664 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

Hello TLCOHIO

Thank you very much, I think I will take a taxi ride, may be I will be able to find someone to join us. By the way, I would like to see your review about other ports, How to follow your blogs? Thank you

Appreciate, Boston Girl, your follow-up and nice comments. Good luck on your Dubrovnik visit. It should be easy to find another couple to share the taxi for the Panoramic tour. You'll love it!!

Below is the full, live/blog I did from last summer on the travels in the Med at many key ports. Plus, from 2010 along the scenic Norway coast to above the Arctic Circle, etc. Below is more on Venice and Kotor, plus Athens.

What are your specific ports on this upcoming cruise in addition to Dubrovnik? Happy to share more, answer other questions.

More on wonderful Kotor and nearby, check these postings. Have had over 7,600 views on this posting and appreciate those who have tuned-in and commented.:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1439193

Since Venice is one of the key stops for many people, you might look at this earlier posting that I did on the Italy board that shows many options and visual potentials for this city that is so great for "walking around", personally sampling the great history and architecture. This posting has now had over 12,580 views and I appreciate those who have dropped by and tuned in. Don’t be shy in sharing any questions or comments.

Venice: Loving It & Why??!!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1278226

You can check out my earlier post on “Athens Tips, Suggestions, Examples to Enjoy!” for many details, ideas and interesting visuals on this great city. Lots of ideas here from me and others experienced with Athens. This posting has had nearly 5,000 views. Appreciate those who have dropped by, made comments, etc.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1101008

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 97,264 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 78,300 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923