Dubrovnik: June Experience, Tips, Visuals, Fun!

WOW! you are one of the best photographers, I love all the pictures you took, they made me really excite to go on my trip. Thank you for all your help, answering questions to me and to all the cruisers. I am very sure that I will have more questions and need a lot of your guide on port of Venice, Messina, Naples and Capri too. :)

WOW! you are one of the best photographers, I love all the pictures you took, they made me really excite to go on my trip. Thank you for all your help, answering questions to me and to all the cruisers. I am very sure that I will have more questions and need a lot of your guide on port of Venice, Messina, Naples and Capri too. :)

Appreciate, Boston Girl, your nice comments on my pictures. The credit goes to these wonderful locations, their beauty, history, character, etc. I am happy to help more on Venice and Naples/Amalfi/Capri. Just post any added questions to the below link and/or the Venice connection noted previously. The key warning about the Naples area is that there is too, too much to be able to see it "ALL" during just one day during a cruise port stop.

Keep these good questions rolling along!! Lots of great ideas and people are here on these boards and they are happy to help. Don't be shy!! The only "dumb" question is the one you don't ask. Keep researching and planning. It will be very helpful for when you do your actual trip and that experience.

Sorry, on Messina and Sicily. Have not been there, yet. It's on the future to-do listing. Did sail by that narrow water passage between Sicily and mainland Italy last summer.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 97,492 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Thank you so much Terry! We're going to be in Dubrovnik in October and I'm so excited to see this beautiful place.

I'm going to copy your post into our Meet & Mingle so everyone can get a sneak preview of what awaits us this fall!!!

We will be visiting Dubronik next June & this thread has been so useful.

How do you copy it to the Roll Call?

We will be visiting Dubronik next June & this thread has been so useful. How do you copy it to the Roll Call?

Just click on the link as noted/listed below. Then up on or near the top, do COPY of that full info for this link and PASTE it or the link within the body of your posting on the roll call. Wasn't sure if you were going to Kotor, also or not. That link is below, too.

Don't be shy!! Let us know any other questions.

Super loved Dubrovnik!!! See more details and lots of great visual samples/examples at this link. Have had over 8,600 views on this posting and appreciate those who have tuned-in and dropped by.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1439227

More on wonderful Kotor and nearby, check these postings. Have had over 8,175 views on this posting and appreciate those who have tuned-in and commented.:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1439193

THANKS for your kind comments and follow-up! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 98,900 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

• 3 weeks later...

From the Daily Mail in London last month, they had this headline: "Croatia's crowning glory: Could Dubrovnik be the ultimate city break?" on a story/profile with lots of pictures that is very glowing on this wonderful city and its people. They note worries on the many ships that dock and tender there. The writer describes these crowds as to what "amounts to an invasion of sorts, and one that is very much the norm in Dubrovnik. Coping with one's fellow tourists - or, ideally, outflanking them - is crucial in this spectacular, walled city where the population is less than 50,000 but which welcomes hundreds of thousands of visitors a year."

There are many nice pictures and details connected with this story. If you are planning an upcoming trip to Dubrovnik, this story is worth checking out. Here are some more of the highlights: "Everyone we meet is friendly and helpful. The city itself is spotlessly clean. There are no hawkers, no tacky shops, no ugly fast-food joints. And very little hassle for what is one of the world's stellar UNESCO sites. There are, of course, lots of people doing exactly what we are doing. If I were running a cruise company I would bring my passengers here every day of the week because Dubrovnik is so accessible, so much smaller than I had imagined and utterly adorable as a result. It can be done in a couple of hours if you don't dawdle. But a couple of days is a far wiser option."

The writer also skillfully summarized: "The earthquakes of 1667 and 1979 took their toll, but it's the six-month siege in 1991 following the break-up of the former Yugoslavia that still hangs menacingly in the air. As you enter through Ploce Gate, there's a map showing where the shells fell. They fell everywhere. But such has been the painstaking restoration work and the money pumped into Dubrovnik that only those with a trained eye would spot the difference between old and new. At times, the city reminds us of Corfu Town; at others, Venice, Rome, Portofino and even parts of ancient France, all in miniature. The little cathedral has the most lovely façade and is a feminine web wisdom."

Full story at:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/article-2186676/Croatia-Could-Dubrovnik-ultimate-city-break.html#ixzz25Xcxsylq

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 101,173 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

• 4 weeks later...
Hi, I can't find the site where I can find out how many ships will be in port that day? I will be cruising with my daughter and friend on the Splendour. Also - any idea on the weather at that time? Thanks so much! K

Hi, ksueosu!! For October 26, here's the past weather history: Last year in 2011 on this specific date in Dubrovnik, it was a high of 68 °F and a low of 57 °F. The normal "average" on this date is a high of 67 °F and a low of 47 °F. During the recent history for this date, the record was a high of 77 °F (in 1999) and a low of 37 °F (in 1997). Last year, there was no rain on that date.

This is from this helpful website:

http://www.wunderground.com

you can plug in each port you plan to visit, check its current weather and then look lower on the page to get the past history data on each different date. Do the specific date for your visit in that port and you can see its history for 2011 and earlier.

OTHER SHIPS?: From http://ports.cruisett.com/schedule/Croatia/184-Dubrovnik/October_2012/

they show these three ships in port for October 26: Splendour Of The Seas, Queen Elizabeth, MSC Divina. The day before, no cruise ships in port and on Oct. 27, four ships. We were lucky last year to be on the only cruise ship in port.

I see that you will be sailing out of and back into super wonderful Venice. Plus stops in Mykonos, Athens, etc. Here are some added notes on Venice and Athens:

Since Venice is one of your key stops, you might look at this earlier posting that I did on the Italy board that shows many options and visual potentials for this city that is so great for "walking around", personally sampling the great history and architecture. This posting has now had over 15,000 views and I appreciate those who have dropped by and tuned in. Don’t be shy in sharing any questions or comments.

Venice: Loving It & Why??!!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1278226

You can check out my earlier post on “Athens Tips, Suggestions, Examples to Enjoy!” for many details, ideas and interesting visuals on this great city. Lots of ideas here from me and others experienced with Athens. This posting has had over 5,615 views. Appreciate those who have dropped by, made comments, etc.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1101008

Reactions? And added questions?

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 104,795 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

The photos of the wall in Dubrovnick were sensational. I too have a fear of heights but would never want to miss that view. Your photos are my encouragement. Just a few more days and we will be on board. I hope I am able to meet some of my CC friends! Ceci

On another posting on this board, questions were raised about the Dubrovnik wall walk, its height, etc. Would people be afraid in doing this walk? In my view and that of others who have done it, the steps up can be a little challenging, but most of the wall walk is fairly solid, not risky, etc. My strong view is that the "prize" is well worth the effort getting up there, doing, etc. Once up there, I didn't sense any "height" programs as it is so solid and the side walls are well built, etc. So much does depends on the person!! Overall, lots depends, also, on how hot is the day and crowded will be the city. We were fortunate to have mid to upper 70'sF weather, a nice breeze and being on the ship in port during our visit. Those perfect conditions helped make things super great.

Below are some added visuals that I have not posted previously on this thread to show more angles, views, etc., in connection with this great wall walk and super charming Dubrovnik.

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 105,110 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

Here is an added series from some of my visuals from Dubrovnik that I have not posted previously in connection with its famed wall walk, views from there, the Adriatic Sea, etc. Below is from high above Dubrovnik with the cable car coming up and a major section of the wall shown. Second shows some of the steps coming down near the Ploce gate as we finished that part of the walk. Next are other angles and views of the walk, wall, nearby sea, another fortress, etc. As shown, there is a wide diversity of aspects to this walled area and the various sections that surround this historic city. This includes an area in the wall where people can swim.:

DubrovFromHighWallsCabCar.jpg

DubrovStepsDownWall.jpg

DubrovWall2NearbyFortress.jpg

DubrovWallEdgeWidthSteps.jpg

DubrovnikWallSwimSeaEdge.jpg

DubrovFortressWallCloserFromHigh.jpg

Terry, Thanks so much for the advice on Athens, Venice and Dubrovnik....I very much appreciate and I'll send a note when we get back! K

Appreciate your nice follow-up and kind comments. Look forward to your posting for how things went, what you liked most, etc. Good luck with your "adventure"!!

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 105,431 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

Appreciate your nice follow-up and kind comments. Look forward to your posting for how things went, what you liked most, etc. Good luck with your "adventure"!!

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 105,431 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t= 1426474

Hi Terry,

I read your review last year before going on the Solstice in November, 2011 and learned a lot from you. I am departing on the Silhouette in two weeks and will be leaving from Venice and going to Croatia. Your information on Dubrovnik has been invaluable along with your other port advice. It will be my first time in Venice and most of the ports.

Gail

Hi Terry, I read your review last year before going on the Solstice in November, 2011 and learned a lot from you. I am departing on the Silhouette in two weeks and will be leaving from Venice and going to Croatia. Your information on Dubrovnik has been invaluable along with your other port advice. It will be my first time in Venice and most of the ports. Gail

Great, Gail, to get your nice and kind feed-back and comments. Good luck on your upcoming Silhouette sailing from Venice, one of my all-time favorite places in the world. I assume you've seen my review that there. In case you haven't and/or for others who will be there in the future, below is that link.

Since Venice is one of your key stops, you might look at this earlier posting that I did on the Italy board that shows many options and visual potentials for this city that is so great for "walking around", personally sampling the great history and architecture. This posting has now had over 15,230 views and I appreciate those who have dropped by and tuned in. Don’t be shy in sharing any questions or comments.

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 106,229 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

• 1 month later...
This is a VERY helpful thread. Thank you for taking the time to post it.

KirkNC: Thanks Terry' date=' as always great pictures. [/quote']

Appreciate so much the nice and kind comments from both of our friends from the Boston area and North Carolina. YES, these Croatian Coast areas are very special and scenic. For those visiting Dubrovnik, if your cruise cruise stops in nearby Kotor, that can be very special, too. If of interest see those Montenegro notes and visuals connected below.

More on wonderful Kotor and nearby, check these postings. Have had over 9,315 views on this posting and appreciate those who have tuned-in and commented.:

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Celebrity Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 111,719 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 88,392 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

• 3 months later...

I am interested in the panorama taxi tour you took and what information you gave to the taxi for the sights you saw. Will be in Dubrovnik in May and trying to work it all out. I believe you said it was a one hour tour.

Thanks!

I am interested in the panorama taxi tour you took and what information you gave to the taxi for the sights you saw. Will be in Dubrovnik in May and trying to work it all out. I believe you said it was a one hour tour. Thanks!

Appreciate your dropping by and a good question. This Panorama Tour is fairly "standard" in taking you across the newer bridge near the ship docking location, then going up a little river that feeds into the bay area, then going up, up and UP to the top of the majestic overlook near the Cable Car high point, etc. Then down and being dropped at the main gate to enter the old, walled city. You don't have to worry on telling the driver what to do, where to go. We loved this introduction, plus talking with the driver, learning more about the recent war period there, etc. Yes, it was an hour, maybe just a little under that time period.

Key tip: Talk with driver a little to make sure you can communicate OK in English, etc., before officially hiring That ability to communication in a reasonable manner helps the process and make the overall experience better, more interesting.

Does this help? Other questions?

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Celebrity Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 124,173 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

Edited by TLCOhio

Thank you for that quick response. It was very helpful.

Happy to help. Let me know any other questions. What other ports are you visiting? When are you doing your cruise?

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Celebrity Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 124,372 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

It is the May 11 Venice cruise on the Silhouette stopping also at Valletta, Kotor, Civitavecchia, Catania and Naples.

YES!! Lots of very good stops in a great region of Europe. Plus, so much time in Venice and on a very nice, Solstice-class ship. Below is more on Kotor and Venice. Let me know any added questions, interests and/or needs.

More on wonderful Kotor and nearby, check these postings. Have had over 11,035 views on this posting and appreciate those who have tuned-in and commented.:

Since Venice is one of your key stops, you might look at this earlier posting that I did on the Italy board that shows many options and visual potentials for this city that is so great for "walking around", personally sampling the great history and architecture. This posting has now had over 19,340 views and I appreciate those who have dropped by and tuned in. Don’t be shy in sharing any questions or comments.

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Celebrity Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 124,372 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

We will have three days in Venice (Wed - Fri) prior to boarding in Saturday. Have yet to figure out our itinerary, if anything needs to be planned in advance. Staying at Hotel Olimpia for transit from airport ease. (We do not travel 'light'.)

In Dubrovnik, we do plan to take the panorama tour with another couple. Your pictures convinced us. Then I want to walk the Adriatic Sea portion (only) of the wall and then experience the old city. (Although that Buza bar I read about looks stunning, I don't know if it is in that part of the wall.) To that end, where would I ask the taxi driver to drop us after the tour? I am thinking Pile gate but not positive. Is it clearly marked where I would 'stop walking the wall'?

Thanks, Terry! You are so very helpful and nice.

Edited by cpl100

Terry... GREAT PICTURES!! I am curious.. did you walk the entire wall?? Just wondering if we will need to walk the entire wall to see the portion where Game of Thrones is fillmed (King's Landing)?? My husband will go ga-ga if he sees that!! :p

In Dubrovnik I want to walk the Adriatic Sea portion (only) of the wall and then experience the old city. (Although that Buza bar I read about looks stunning, I don't know if it is in that part of the wall.) To that end, where would I ask the taxi driver to drop us after the tour? I am thinking Pile gate but not positive. Is it clearly marked where I would 'stop walking the wall'?

Thanks, Terry! You are so very helpful and nice.

If it's any help this shows us walking the wall and at 0.39 there's a few seconds of us having a drink at Buza

All the best, Tony

Terry... GREAT PICTURES!! I am curious.. did you walk the entire wall?? Just wondering if we will need to walk the entire wall to see the portion where Game of Thrones is fillmed (King's Landing)?? My husband will go ga-ga if he sees that!! :p

Cornishpastyman1: If it's any help this shows us walking the wall and at 0.39 there's a few seconds of us having a drink at Buza

All the best' date=' Tony [/quote']

Appreciate Tony's good additional contribution and helpful video. On the wall walk, I just did the half that went along the sea and waters. That seemed more interesting and varied. Sorry, but I am not familiar with "Game of Thrones" and locations in Dubrovnik. Sorry!!

But I checked a few websites through Google.com and saw that some the filming work were done around St. Dominic Street and the Fort of St. Lawrence. From

http://winteriscoming.net/2011/08/dubrovnik-filming-locations-revealed/

you can see more details for the various locations around this historic town.

Several of those views looked very familiar from my walking on the water side, especially for the Fort of St. Lawrence. See more below.

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Celebrity Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 124,555 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

Here is Fort Lovrijenac or St. Lawrence Fortress. It is often called "Dubrovnik's Gibraltar" for the fortress and theater located outside the western wall of Dubrovnik. It is famous for its importance in resisting rule by Venice. Early in the 11th century the Venetians attempted to build a fort on the same spot where Fort Lovrijenac currently stands. If they had succeeded, they would have kept Dubrovnik under their power, but the people of the city beat them to it.

DubrovFortStLawrence_zpsa40c675c.jpg