Dubrovnik: June Experience, Tips, Visuals, Fun!

Thanks for all the great information and pictures. We will be there in May and we are very excited to explore the old city and walk the wall. We where debating on the cable car, but the scenic tour with the taxi sounds like a better deal. I really appreciate the advice to talk to the driver first and make sure that we can communicate with him!!!

Did you pay in cash or do the taxi drivers take credit cards?

What do they drive? It will probably be just the two of us, but if we make friends with others before getting there, we would be open to splitting the cost if the taxi is big enough for all of us.

Do they stop and let you get out to take pics?

How did you get back to the ship?

Thank you,

Eddie

Thanks for all the great information and pictures. We will be there in May and we are very excited to explore the old city and walk the wall. We where debating on the cable car, but the scenic tour with the taxi sounds like a better deal. I really appreciate the advice to talk to the driver first and make sure that we can communicate with him!!! Did you pay in cash or do the taxi drivers take credit cards? What do they drive? It will probably be just the two of us, but if we make friends with others before getting there, we would be open to splitting the cost if the taxi is big enough for all of us. Do they stop and let you get out to take pics? How did you get back to the ship? Thank you, Eddie

Super appreciate the good comments and follow-ups from Eddie and CupKayke. As I re-call, we paid in cash for the "Panorama Tour" through the cab. Maybe now, some or more of the cabs will use or do credit cards. This area is not as advance on the use of credit cards for cabs as you will see in Stockholm, Copenhagen, etc.

They used a Polish brand of car that seated three in the back and I rode in the front seat. Worked OK. As with most cars in Europe, it was not super big, but it worked fine for the four of us during this fairly short period of time. YES, there were a number of stops to get out of the car, take pictures, see the various sites and nearby areas, etc. We started out going over the new bridge near the docking place, up a short river, then up to the top of the overview, stopping in a couple of different locations up there, etc.

When done in the walled city later that afternoon, we took a cab back to the ship. It was ten euros for the four of us. Worked well, also on this short ride back.

Keep the good questions rolling along!

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Celebrity Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 124,993 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Hi Terry - Absolutely gorgeous pics. I have two other couples interested in joining us on the panorama tour you took in Dubrovnik (along with the wonderful lunch stop). Do any of the cabs have vans rather than four passenger cars for these tours? Also, how do you get back to the ship from the restaurant after lunch? We'll be there Thursday, May 2

Hi Terry - Absolutely gorgeous pics. I have two other couples interested in joining us on the panorama tour you took in Dubrovnik (along with the wonderful lunch stop). Do any of the cabs have vans rather than four passenger cars for these tours? Also, how do you get back to the ship from the restaurant after lunch? We'll be there Thursday, May 2

Appreciate the kind comments on my pictures from our Midwest neighbor in Wisconsin. From our June 2011 visit, my recall is that most all of the cabs were pretty much the same with the regular sedan seating of three people in back and one person potentially sitting upfront. Maybe things have improved and/or change with some vans being added to the mix. Maybe you'll get lucky. BUT, with six people, you had better plan on probably needing to do two taxi's with three people in each of the cabs. After lunch, then doing the wall walk, plus other walking around in this greatly charming area, we took a cab back. It was ten euro for our group to do this returning taxi. Easy and quick.

Any other questions or needs?

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Celebrity Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 125,371 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

• 4 months later...
They had posted signs there in the area where the cabs were lined up on the various different options, including just ten euro for only the trip to Pile Gate or 50 euro for the panoramic trip. When we got in the cab, he pitched for/suggested the panoramic trip, told us the details, we ask some added questions, he had good answers and we were off on our roughly one hour trip. It was a great and super highlight of our visit to Dubrovnik. He knew where to take us, telling us more about the area, answering various questions, having time up at the cable car location, etc.

Thanks for the information and pictures. Do all of the taxis lined up for the cruise ships offer the same panoramic excursion or should we look for a specific company? I'm a little nervous about the randomness of this but it sounds like just what we want.

There are four cruise ships in port the day we are there:(

Thanks for the information and pictures. Do all of the taxis lined up for the cruise ships offer the same panoramic excursion or should we look for a specific company? I'm a little nervous about the randomness of this but it sounds like just what we want. There are four cruise ships in port the day we are there:(

Appreciate your follow-up and good question. We were fortunate to be the only cruise ship in port that day in Dubrovnik. Four ships there, depending on their size, does up the "challenge" somewhat.

We had a decent number of cabs there when we got off of the ship. I talked with a couple of the drivers. We went with someone whose communication skills/English were decent and good enough. That made a big difference in being able to learn more, get our questions answered, capture some of the local "color" and background, etc. His family had been involved in the Civil War there and gave some significant personal stories for the impacts, losses of life, etc. If your driver just drives and points, you'll miss lots important as an introduction to this historic area. Do a little sampling and checking before going with just any driver that pops up in the line. Clearly with four ships in port, your options might be a little more narrow. Good luck!! Any other questions?

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Celebrity Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 138,895 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

Terry Dont think I got back to you after seeing Dubrovnik. That restaurant you reccommended Komarda was everything you said..food excellent and the view was spectacular...many thanks for your information cheers Liz Tasmania

Hi Terry, we 'meet' again! As always, wonderful pics of Dubrovnik that have awakened my interest in seeing this place even more. Have made lots of notes from all these posts following your original posting. We are doing a central Mediterranean cruise in October and will be visiting Cadiz in Spain, Messina in Sicily, Corfu, Dubrovnik, Venice (and I'm about to have a look at your report from there now), Valletta in Malta and Lisbon in Portugal. If you have any more info on any of those ports, I'd be so pleased to learn from your experiences. We had such a wonderful cruise around the Norwegian fjords with all the info you kindly gave for that beautiful country.

Please do remind me when it is you head 'down under' to New Zealand (best country in the world for me) because I so look forward to seeing your pics from that trip and I think it might be this coming winter (well, summer down there) :D

Edited by Essexlass2

Hi Essexlass2

May I add some of my findings.Terry may well have given you all the info you need but i dont have time to go thru all his posts. Messina Sicily..wonderful memories. We got the train (cheap) and scenic to Taormina. Its a little walk to station which we had trouble finding but i should have done better research. The train stop is at the bottom of Taormina You have to get a taxi up to the Umberto..main Street. The trick is as soon as you come out onto street you have to be real quick and look right cause there are only a few taxis parked there try and beat the other cruise people. Beautiful views of Mt Etna from lookouts along the street. Went to the Greek Theatre at the end of main Street.I tried and bought Limoncello there..loved that drink. In Corfu we hired a car very cheap between 4 of us.. Close to ship..if you would like to know what amazing things we discovered email me at mirandavale8599@bigpond.com. In Malta we took a ride in one of the horse and carriages and that was great and informative driver..happy planning cheers from down under Liz

Edited by Buranogal

Hi Liz

Thanks for the information which I have noted. Its mainly Dubrovnik and Venice that I am researching at the moment but we will definitely make our way to Taormina from Messina now and I am so pleased you mentioned the Limoncello too as I was hoping to buy some of those sweets if possible.

We have been to Corfu for a week a couple of years ago, so we will make our way to the old town of Corfu this time to spend more time there because we could find nowhere to park for long on our last visit.

Terry Dont think I got back to you after seeing Dubrovnik. That restaurant you reccommended Komarda was everything you said..food excellent and the view was spectacular...many thanks for your information cheers Liz Tasmania

Essexlass2: Hi Terry' date=' we 'meet' again! As always, wonderful pics of Dubrovnik that have awakened my interest in seeing this place even more. Have made lots of notes from all these posts following your original posting. We are doing a central Mediterranean cruise in October and will be visiting Cadiz in Spain, Messina in Sicily, Corfu, Dubrovnik, Venice (and I'm about to have a look at your report from there now), Valletta in Malta and Lisbon in Portugal. If you have any more info on any of those ports, I'd be so pleased to learn from your experiences. We had such a wonderful cruise around the Norwegian fjords with all the info you kindly gave for that beautiful country. Please do remind me when it is you head [b']'down under' to New Zealand (best country in the world for me)[/b] because I so look forward to seeing your pics from that trip and I think it might be this coming winter (well, summer down there)

Appreciate the great follow-up from Liz. Am I assuming correct that you live in Tasmania? We are looking forward to our first “down under” visit, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Celebrity Solstice sailing, departing Sydney, going from Australia to Auckland/NZ doing 14 days on this ship we loved in the Med in June 2011. Plus, doing some pre-cruise options for Cairns/Port Douglas, the Rainforest and Great Barrier Reef, then Kangaroo Island near Adelaide before departing from Sidney’s scenic harbor. And, doing the mid-cruise ship over-night trip to and in Queenstown and then stopping in Hawaii on the way home to break up that long, long flight back. We have a nice and super active roll call going at:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1614754

Welcome to any who want to join us for this trip and/or travel along via the web as we get prepared for that "adventure".

We will have one day (Jan. 23, 2014) in Hobart, Tasmania. Am still considering our options, including the question as to see the historic penal colony at Port Arthur in connection with doing the wombats, emus and the famed Tasmanian devil at the wildlife park nearby to Hobart. Reactions, insights, tips, etc., in connection with the potentials in and around Hobart??

For Essexlass2, your nice comments are much appreciated and good luck on your upcoming Med cruise in October. Have not been to Cadiz, Sicily and Corfu. Hope things go well in all of these areas. Look forward to hearing things go, any added questions, including for Venice. Don't be shy!! Keep us posted.

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Celebrity Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 139,095 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

• 2 months later...

Hi, am wondering if anyone has done this panorama taxi tour recently, would like your input about how it went. We'll be on the Equinox out of Venice next June and Dubrovnik is our first port, we get in at noon. That obviously means its going to be hot for most of our tour, would going up the walls make sense?

BTW Terry, have always followed your reports and reviews with interest, not only for your suggestions but also the amazing pictures, thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks, Terry, I think we will take the cab too. Actually not only choosing the cab, also will go to the restaurant where you had lunch. Don't know if we will see other people who had read your post in that reataurant coz the view is so 'priceless'. :)

We just got back from there. It may be a bit nervy, but don't take the next cab in line. Interview them! Find a cab driver who speaks English well and has a personality!! Our cabbie had neither. It was NOT worthwhile for us.

Hi, am wondering if anyone has done this panorama taxi tour recently, would like your input about how it went. We'll be on the Equinox out of Venice next June and Dubrovnik is our first port, we get in at noon. That obviously means its going to be hot for most of our tour, would going up the walls make sense? BTW Terry, have always followed your reports and reviews with interest, not only for your suggestions but also the amazing pictures, thanks!

magnet1640: We just got back from there. It may be a bit nervy' date=' but don't take the next cab in line. Interview them! Find a cab driver who speaks English well and has a personality!! Our cabbie had neither. It was NOT worthwhile for us. [/quote']

Appreciate the very kind (and wise) comments from prish. Glad you're a person of such wonderful judgement!!

Very well done and smart in the comments by magnet1640. YES! Need to do a little interviewing with the potential cab drivers to check on BOTH the quality of their English and some aspect of their personality. You don't expect perfect English, but you need some degree of being able to ask your questions, get added background/insights, etc. A driver who is open, sharing and being informative/interesting made our Panorama trip so super worthwhile for us in our visit to Dubrovnik.

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Celebrity Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 147,043 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

• 8 months later...

Can anyone tell me conclusively how high the cliff at Buza 1 is? Buza 1 is the highest of the 2 cliffs outside the Old City Walls that jumpers use. I have heard many different heights - from 30 meters to 70 feet. What is the actual height?

Thanks for any help!

Can anyone tell me conclusively how high the cliff at Buza 1 is? Buza 1 is the highest of the 2 cliffs outside the Old City Walls that jumpers use. I have heard many different heights - from 30 meters to 70 feet. What is the actual height? Thanks for any help!

Below are two of my visuals that I have from up on the wall looking down towards this cliffs area. As I re-call and it seems from this picture, the distance seems much closer to 30 meters than to a much, much higher number. From examining more in the second picture, it seems like it is maybe more like 30-40 feet. Were you asking on 39 meters versus 70 feet?

Does this help some? Added questions on wonderful Dubrovnik?

Back from doing a 14-day Celebrity Solstice, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure on this ship and getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for much more information and lots of wonderful pictures on these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 70,353 views for this fun posting.

Along the Dubrovnik wall, here is one of my views of the swimmers enjoying the Adriatic Sea from one of the Buza Bars where people can hang out, have a drink and swim. You reach these cliffs from one of the streets behind the Dubrovnik cathedral. Translated into English, Buza means "hole", alluding to the passage or a door in the City walls:

DubrovSwimmerBelowWall.jpg

From going back and checking my original photo files, here is another angle that might offer a better view on the height and area where people jump, swim, etc.:

DubrovnikCliffA1_zps91d10858.jpg

• 8 months later...
Wow. Another wonderful photo blog by Terry! Can someone please comment if most of the information is still accurate. I notice the trip was in2012. Thanks

We are visiting July 2015. Soon.

Great photos seem to happen very often when Dubrovnik is the subject. Information regarding our historical and cultural sites are accurate. However since 2011 prices have increased, city wall is 100 Kuna, cable car is 108 Kuna and most of the museums average about 30 to 40ish. Enjoy.

Great photos seem to happen very often when Dubrovnik is the subject. Information regarding our historical and cultural sites are accurate. However since 2011 prices have increased, city wall is 100 Kuna, cable car is 108 Kuna and most of the museums average about 30 to 40ish. Enjoy.

Thank you. We are also visiting Losinj, and Hvar. Any recommendations what to see or do?

Wow. Another wonderful photo blog by Terry! Can someone please comment if most of the information is still accurate. I notice the trip was in2012. Thanks. We are visiting July 2015. Soon.

Dubrovniktravelady: Great photos seem to happen very often when Dubrovnik is the subject. Information regarding our historical and cultural sites are accurate. However since 2011 prices have increased' date=' city wall is 100 Kuna, cable car is 108 Kuna and most of the museums average about 30 to 40ish. Enjoy. [/quote']

Glad that the basic info is correct from our 2011 visit to wonderful Dubrovnik. Prices will get adjusted over periods of time. Either in the prices that they charge and/or with the value of the dollar to the local currency, etc.

Right now in checking on the web, 100 Kuna equals $14.19. As key summary points, one of the most important "secrets" involves the luck for how many cruse ships will be in port when you visit. We were very fortunate to be the only ship there that day. Plus, nice, perfect weather!! And, the cab/overview tour that took us up, UP to the top for that scenic overlook without dealing with the cable car and/or lines there. Loved it ALL in Dubrovnik!!

Yes, photographers like Dubrovnik as it makes them look talented and skilled. Such great architecture, style, character, etc., there to capture with our cameras.

From our Jan. 25-Feb. 20, 2015, Amazon River-Caribbean combo sailing over 26 days that started in Barbados, here is the link below to that live/blog. Lots of great visuals from this amazing Brazil river and these various Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, etc.) that we experienced. Check it out at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696

Now at 21,828 views for these postings.

• 4 weeks later...

Once again Terry you have wowed me with your photos.

Thoroughly enjoyed our Eastern Med cruise thanks to your wonderful photos and commentary.

Now booked on a cruise that will stop in Kotor and Dubrovnik Sept 2016.

Thanks so very much!

• 10 months later...
Once again Terry you have wowed me with your photos. Thoroughly enjoyed our Eastern Med cruise thanks to your wonderful photos and commentary. Now booked on a cruise that will stop in Kotor and Dubrovnik Sept 2016. Thanks so very much!

Appreciate these very nice comments and those who have dropped by this thread to check out my "eye-candy" from our visiting and touring in and nearby to Dubrovnik. Good luck to celebrity as you get closer to your September 2016 visits in these wonderful locations along this scenic coast.

To update for those also seeking and interested in other exciting visuals and different locations, we are back safely from four weeks in South Africa, Botswana, etc. Very different from the Caribbean and Amazon River that we did a year ago!!

We enjoyed great sights, many safari/animal experiences and wonderful adventure times!! Lots of pictures on my live/blog and this trip detailing can be seen at:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2310337

Now over 10,300 views for this reporting that includes Cape Town, all along the South Africa coast, Mozambique, Victoria Falls/Zambia and Botswana's famed Delta area with lions, leopards, cape buffalo, elephants, giraffes, hippos, etc., etc.

Ohio was not too bad for the time while we traveled below the Equator this year, but the weather for these southern parts of Africa was much warmer and sunnier than what we would have experienced in the Midwest during these challenging winter periods.

From our Jan. 25-Feb. 20, 2015, Amazon River-Caribbean combo sailing over 26 days that started in Barbados, here is the link below to that live/blog. Lots of great visuals from this amazing Brazil river and these various Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, etc.) that we experienced. Check it out at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696

Now at 36,807 views for these postings.

• 7 months later...

From the New York Times Travel Section this week, they have this headline: "20 places to travel in your 20s" with these opening/set-up highlights: "There’s no better way to change your perception of the world — and maybe yourself — than travel. You’ll experience different cultures, meet new friends and make lifelong memories. But traveling poses challenges: financial constraints, limited time off. So think of this selection as a checklist and starter kit to world travel."

One top suggestion was for: "The Croatian coast. It’s gotten fancier over the years, but bopping down the Adriatic coast in Croatia is still a great option for young travelers. Start in scenic Dubrovnik and hit laid-back and gorgeous spots like Rovinj, Kornati Islands National Park and Makarska. You’ll find great food and wine, dazzling vistas and a welcoming attitude."

It's been a long time since I have been in my 20's, but I started out in December 1970 doing a month-long Eurorail adventure with a college roommate for doing a large number of Europe countries that helped launch my interests for exploring and learning at an early age.

Full story at:

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/10/21/travel/places-to-travel-in-your-20s.html?_r=0

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 158,385 views for this posting.

Edited by TLCOhio