Mykonos - planning help with schedule and bus

FunLovinCruiser

Hi folks! The wife and I will be in Mykonos via Norwegian Jade on Wednesday, September 21 from about 8am to 6pm. We would like to:

1. visit Delos,
  2. stroll around Mykonos Town,
  3. spend a few (1 or 2) hours relaxing on a beach.

I am assuming that Norwegian Jade will tender into port (would appreciate if anyone could confirm this) and I figure that we'll be in Mykonos Town around 9am. The plan is to stroll around town until 10am (are any of the shops open this early?) and then catch the ferry to Delos and return on the 12:30 ferry (I believe that the ferry departs Delos at 12:30; it doesn't arrive back on Mykonos at 12:30; I would appreciate if anyone could confirm this assumption).

I'm thinking that we'll then take the tender back to our ship, have lunch/get dressed for the beach, and then head back out to Mykonos and take a bus to one of the beaches (we're thinking about Paradise since we're both in our late 20s although I'm not too sure about how I feel about the reportedly loud music they blast over there... but I'll leave it up to the wife). Question: Does anyone have any info on what the bus schedules are like? Do the buses to the major beaches run every half hour or hour and at what times? I guess I'd rather not have to hike up to the bus station, find out that it doesn't depart for 45 minutes, and then have to kill time until it rolls around.

Does this sound like a do-able plan?

Advice, answers, and comments are greatly appreciated!!

Hi folks! The wife and I will be in Mykonos via Norwegian Jade on Wednesday, September 21 from about 8am to 6pm. We would like to:

1. visit Delos,
  2. stroll around Mykonos Town,
  3. spend a few (1 or 2) hours relaxing on a beach.

I am assuming that Norwegian Jade will tender into port (would appreciate if anyone could confirm this) and I figure that we'll be in Mykonos Town around 9am. The plan is to stroll around town until 10am (are any of the shops open this early?) and then catch the ferry to Delos and return on the 12:30 ferry (I believe that the ferry departs Delos at 12:30; it doesn't arrive back on Mykonos at 12:30; I would appreciate if anyone could confirm this assumption).

I'm thinking that we'll then take the tender back to our ship, have lunch/get dressed for the beach, and then head back out to Mykonos and take a bus to one of the beaches (we're thinking about Paradise since we're both in our late 20s although I'm not too sure about how I feel about the reportedly loud music they blast over there... but I'll leave it up to the wife). Question: Does anyone have any info on what the bus schedules are like? Do the buses to the major beaches run every half hour or hour and at what times? I guess I'd rather not have to hike up to the bus station, find out that it doesn't depart for 45 minutes, and then have to kill time until it rolls around.

Does this sound like a do-able plan?

Advice, answers, and comments are greatly appreciated!!

Your plan sounds a bit ambitious. We did Mykonos town, not Delos or the beaches. My Daughter and her family did Delos, there is a private ferry boat at the tender dock that goes to Delos. I think you can do two in one day, but three is a bit much.

The bus from Fabrica Square serves Platis Gialos, Psarou, Paraga, Paradise,Ornos, Agios Ioannis, and the Airport. Partial Schedule to the beach: 13:00, 13:30, 14:00, 14:30, 15:00,15:30, 16:00, 16:30. Partial Schedule from the beach: 13:10, 13:40, 2:10, 2:40, 3:10, 3:40, 4:10, 4:40, 5:10, 5:40. Price is 1.60 Euros, takes about 15 minutes.

Bus Info (dated 2008, but some info may still be useful):

http://www.mykonos.in/english/mykonos_general_information/ktel.html

Bus Website:

http://www.ktelmykonos.gr/index-en.html

The bus from Fabrica Square serves Platis Gialos, Psarou, Paraga, Paradise,Ornos, Agios Ioannis, and the Airport. Partial Schedule to the beach: 13:00, 13:30, 14:00, 14:30, 15:00,15:30, 16:00, 16:30. Partial Schedule from the beach: 13:10, 13:40, 2:10, 2:40, 3:10, 3:40, 4:10, 4:40, 5:10, 5:40. Price is 1.60 Euros, takes about 15 minutes.

Bus Info (dated 2008, but some info may still be useful):

http://www.mykonos.in/english/mykonos_general_information/ktel.html

Bus Website:

http://www.ktelmykonos.gr/index-en.html

It's not the same bus to Platy Gialos & Paradise, it's different buses (at least, it was the twice I've been on it). Prices & location are right for both, however. I think the bus to Platy Gialos takes just 10 minutes - that's why the trip back from the beach is timed at 10 & 40 minutes past the hour, i.e. the 13:10 bus back to town is the 13:00 bus from town, it just turns round at Platy Gialos which is literally at the end of the road.

I agree that seeing Mykonos Town+Delos+Paradise is an ambitious plan.

I confirm that Jade tenders in Mykonos: last week, the first tenders started a few minutes before 8.00 a.m. You must be back onboard by 17.30. If I'm not mistaken the last tender should have been at 17.00.

At least you should skip your plan to get changed onboard: you need to bring your beach towels and swimsuits with you in the morning and go to the bus station immediately upon disembarking the ferry from Delos. In this case you can have two hours to spend at the beach.

Buses do run every half an hour both to Platis Gialos and Paradise but the drive to Platis Gialos took us almost 20 minutes, instead of the 10 scheduled, because the bus was really packed and it had to stop to pick up other people on the way to the beach (driver also sells tickets, so at every stop he must collect money before starting to drive again). Paradise is further away. The schedule posted above is the one for Platis Gialos/Psarrou.

I'm not sure if shops are open already at 8.00 a.m. We went ashore at 9.45 and they were open by then. There is a picturesque fish and vegetable market however and that is surely open early.

From 8.00 to 10.00 you can walk around Mykonos Town, which takes a while: its charm is that you get lost in the small alleys and keep making photo stops, so you really don't want to rush through the old town. The windmills are also a must-see and they will be on your way to the bus station anyway: although the area is quite dirty and definitely needs some maintanance work, you can see Alefkandra from there and again several photo-stops.

We were recently in Mykonos on the Celebrity Equinox. We did not tender...our ship docked at a "new port.". I originally started out with a similar ambitious plan, but by the time we got to Mykonos in our itinerary, we wanted a slightly calmer, less busy schedule. We did plan to take the first ferry out to Delos, but it was very windy, so the first ferry had been cancelled. The shop owners did tell us that it's often windy there. We walked to the windmills, wandered through town, then took the 10a.m.ferry. After the Delos visit, we opted to have a relaxed lunch in Mykonos and wander through town. I imagine we could have made it to the beach too, but it would have been a lot!

Archived