Trying to pick a cruise line!

jemuu

This will be my first cruise...I'm 33 and will be traveling solo. I've decided on a Mexican Riviera cruise and have narrowed it down to either Holland America or Royal Caribbean. I've read all of the reviews on both and am more confused than ever on which will be my best choice. Any advice/input/opinion?

Thank you!:)

It would be helpful if you tell us a little more about yourself. In general HAL is a couples event, and while it remains one of our favorites, I would thing that someone your age traveling solo might be bored out of their socks.

If you are interested in going in December before Christmas, there is a group going from Houston that you could probably attach to. Email Steve777@houston.rr.com. They are going on the Oosterdam.

We met him last year on the Westerdam. He and his partner are great guys and they attract a nice group of people. This way you would have a built in group.

Roberta

I am 42 and took my first solo cruise, and my first HAL(NE/Canada) cruise last year, and LOVED it. I enjoyed it so much, I came home and booked another solo, HAL(Alaska) cruise for a few months later. I am very happily married, but do cruise solo at times. Both cruises, HAL sat me with other solo cruisers for dinner, and it really enhanced my cruise. In fact, I am still in contact with people I met during both cruises. They also offer various solo gatherings during the cruise. I once attended a luncheon, and enjoyed it very much.

If you are looking for a relaxed, refined cruise, HAL is a good choice. If you are looking for nightlife, RCI might be a better choice. I have cruised on RCI 4 times within the last year and a half, but never solo.

Marie

We have cruised on HAL many times and RCI once. The RCI cruise, in the Baltic, was very good and the new ship comfortable. But the dining experience on our HAL cruises have been superior than on RCI, in my opinion. We also prefer the ambience of HAL.

Chances are the average age on HAL will be older than an RCI, but to many people that's not important. Compare the prices and itineraries and take into consideration what posters here report and what posters on the RCI forum say. Perhaps all that input will help you decide.

Whatever you choose, have a great cruise.

I just wanted to thank everyone for their input. I finally did decide on RCI. It sounds like both cruise lines are fantastic, but that RCI might fit my age bracket a bit better. I booked April 24th and CANNOT WAIT!

Archived