July 23, 2011 - Carnival Dream Sailing

Hawaii697

As my group's coordinator, I'm just curious how much notice was given to the July 9th sailing of the Dream for the itinerary change? I don't mind sailing the Eastern, heck I don't care were I go, but there are some in my group that may not feel the same way. Would it be possible to change ships for another itinerary at this time in case some are not interested in the Eastern Caribbean?

As my group's coordinator, I'm just curious how much notice was given to the July 9th sailing of the Dream for the itinerary change? I don't mind sailing the Eastern, heck I don't care were I go, but there are some in my group that may not feel the same way. Would it be possible to change ships for another itinerary at this time in case some are not interested in the Eastern Caribbean?

I think carnival could answer that question better than anyone!

I think carnival could answer that question better than anyone!

Since Carnival was unable to answer my question, I decided to post my question here, hoping I could get response from someone this actually happened to. It seems to me Carnival did not give the July 9th sailing much notice.

We are on the sailing on the 9th. Just got email notification last night (Tues)

We were given 48 hours to decide if we want to cancel and receive a full refund or go ahead and sail with the new itenerary and receive a $100 per person obc. We dont really mind the change and we are still exited about our cruise so we are going with the obc. I know there are quite a few unhappy campers out there, but hey ship happens. ;)

We are on the sailing on the 9th. Just got email notification last night (Tues)

We were given 48 hours to decide if we want to cancel and receive a full refund or go ahead and sail with the new itenerary and receive a $100 per person obc. We dont really mind the change and we are still exited about our cruise so we are going with the obc. I know there are quite a few unhappy campers out there, but hey ship happens. ;)

Just curious if this was a complete itinerary change-Western to Eastern- or just a change in port schedules? Any reason given? I know there's a distrubance over Cuba and G C but it's only a 10% prob on development into a T.S.

I was scheduled for the WESTERN Caribbean in May of 2009 on the Glory and went EASTERN. If I remember correctly, we were told just a few days prior to the cruise. I believe, that we did not even know that we were going EASTERN until 2 days prior to the cruise. we just knew it was being re-routed.

This was unusual circumstances and not weather related if that makes any difference. We had everything booked and were going come hell or high water.

We still had a ball and enjoyed both the cruise and the Glory:D.

Just curious if this was a complete itinerary change-Western to Eastern- or just a change in port schedules? Any reason given? I know there's a distrubance over Cuba and G C but it's only a 10% prob on development into a T.S.

Propulsion issues. Supposedly the ship is currently sailing under 14 knots instead of 20. The itenerary has been totally changed - Western to Eastern

It was an entire itinerary change from Western to Eastern. Some people are posting that it is due to propulsion issues and the Dream cannot maintain the speed it would take to reach each port , Western, in the time needed. DH thinks its to save fuel, lol. I am watching this close as we are sailing the Western on Aug 6th and I do not wish to do the Eastern again which I sailed on the Dream last year in June and did Eastern already.

I just found out last night by way of email that there was a change. We were offered a full refund but since I booked my airfare on my own (there is 9 of us traveling), I would lose that money. The problem I am having now is the excursions. We had already booked all our excursions and now I can't even get in touch with anyone at Carnival that can help me. The 800-845-2595 number says that it is no longer in service or due to high volume call back later. I am not happy about the change only because we had everything worked out with our schedule and since we range from 2 to 64 yrs. of age, that was not easy. And Carnival is not making it any easier.

I just found out last night by way of email that there was a change. We were offered a full refund but since I booked my airfare on my own (there is 9 of us traveling), I would lose that money. The problem I am having now is the excursions. We had already booked all our excursions and now I can't even get in touch with anyone at Carnival that can help me. The 800-845-2595 number says that it is no longer in service or due to high volume call back later. I am not happy about the change only because we had everything worked out with our schedule and since we range from 2 to 64 yrs. of age, that was not easy. And Carnival is not making it any easier.

Really? We have already talked to Carnival twice today and have had no issues. They have been very helpful. Call 1-800-carnival

It was an entire itinerary change from Western to Eastern. Some people are posting that it is due to propulsion issues and the Dream cannot maintain the speed it would take to reach each port , Western, in the time needed. DH thinks its to save fuel, lol. I am watching this close as we are sailing the Western on Aug 6th and I do not wish to do the Eastern again which I sailed on the Dream last year in June and did Eastern already.

Could be correct - CCL posted their quarterly results and even with a high occupancy rate the fuel costs are impacting their profits - one way to save on expenses.

Propulsion issues. Supposedly the ship is currently sailing under 14 knots instead of 20. The itenerary has been totally changed - Western to Eastern

Well while unfortunate for your cruise, let's hope the shorter distance travelled and extra day at sea, plus this week's and the week after your cruise's regular scheduled Easterns will give them time to fix the problem.

The ship was moving good for us 3 weeks ago, but these things do happen. I'd be upset too. Not a fan of Nassau. and prepaid excursions with delays on refunds can wreck a vacay budget. That's why we often DIY or book private vendors who get paid on the day of versus in advance. Or have stated full refund policies and history of prompt response.

Your saving grace seems to be that you'll be the only ship in St Maartin, so the beaches won't be too crowded. And I think it's you and the Liberty in Havensight, with the Explorer of the seas in Crown Bay. 3 ships in Nassau though.

We found out last night (Tuesday by email). Since we booked through a travel agent, any questions we had would not be answered by Carnival. Any suggestions on which place (St. Maarten or St. Thomas) has the better beach? shopping?

thanks

Well while unfortunate for your cruise, let's hope the shorter distance travelled and extra day at sea, plus this week's and the week after your cruise's regular scheduled Easterns will give them time to fix the problem.

The ship was moving good for us 3 weeks ago, but these things do happen. I'd be upset too. Not a fan of Nassau. and prepaid excursions with delays on refunds can wreck a vacay budget. That's why we often DIY or book private vendors who get paid on the day of versus in advance. Or have stated full refund policies and history of prompt response.

Your saving grace seems to be that you'll be the only ship in St Maartin, so the beaches won't be too crowded. And I think it's you and the Liberty in Havensight, with the Explorer of the seas in Crown Bay. 3 ships in Nassau though.

Really only disappointed at missing Roatan. Been there done that at all of the other ports on the Western....like you I too am not a fan of Nassau, so that will basically be another sea day for us. I am looking firward to St. Maarten though...have not been there yet! We also only book private excursions and was able to cancel them all with no issues. Side note: Victor Bidden tours in Roatan is top notch. Victor actually emailed us the itenary change before CCL!

I am sailing the Dream on the Eastern itinerary on August 13. So did they switch you to the complete western itinerary- Roatan, Costa Maya, Cozumel, and Belize- or just some of it?

All of it.

I am sailing the Dream on the Eastern itinerary on August 13. So did they switch you to the complete western itinerary- Roatan, Costa Maya, Cozumel, and Belize- or just some of it?

It was WESTERN that has been changed at the last minute to be EASTERN.

Thank you for pointing that out. I guess I should read more closely. I immediately went to the idea that St. Martin is so far away, they changed that. But apparently Belize is far away, too.

Sorry to be so dumb!

I am also worried about the Dream not being fixed or it is a gas price item that it is not situated in time for our trip. Was looking forward to checking out some ports we hadn't seen before and like the excursions we picked.

I guess we could live with going to St Martin and St Thomas but Nassau??? sigh.....not my favorite port at all:(. We wouldn't want to jump ship doing the same itinerary and would stay on the Dream. I guess we would have to have a couple of drinks of the day to help make us through if they do change it. ;)

While the July 9 cruise unfortunately has to make last minute changes, for those of you on the July 23rd and August 6th Westerns, DON'T PANIC!! They've obviously been working on the problem and needed another week or so. Besides the Captain loves Costa Maya and had to miss it at the end of June. I'm sure he wants to get back too.

You might want to gather some ideas on what to do if you have a last minute itinerary change, but don't go booking and cancelling until the offical word comes out.

Those spec-ing on a corporate conspiracy to lower fuel costs are spitting in the wind. Corporations don't think that way or act in such a manner. Why only one ship itinerary change? Why not the Liberty or Freedom or Victory with equally long itineraries? Why not Costa or Hall or Princess ship changes too? How much fuelcost is saved by the different distance on a single ship, when they could easily add on fuel surcharges. Plus while fuel costs ate into quarterly profits, it wasn't the only thing and it's not as if Carnival went into the red, just corporate wide profits weren't as high as they were in comparison to 2nd Quarter 2010. But there were still profits made and dividends distributed. Additionally fuel costs aren't that much different and maybe a bit lower than they were 3 months ago, so why wait til now?

Hello guys,

Please post here if anybody is sailing on Jul 23,2011 on Carnival Dream

I was wondering if I should book the excursions thru Carnival or private tours

I have been reading about why its safer to book with carnival as your ride back to the ship is worriless

but at the same time if the iternary were to change then we might have issues cancelling the excursion...

I was also interested to know what kinda price diff is it booking excursions thru carnival and getting there and picking an excursion /booking an excursion using a private tours

This is my first cruise and was wondering if I can share some experiences from my fellow ex cruisers

Hello guys,

Please post here if anybody is sailing on Jul 23,2011 on Carnival Dream

I was wondering if I should book the excursions thru Carnival or private tours

I have been reading about why its safer to book with carnival as your ride back to the ship is worriless

but at the same time if the iternary were to change then we might have issues cancelling the excursion...

I was also interested to know what kinda price diff is it booking excursions thru carnival and getting there and picking an excursion /booking an excursion using a private tours

This is my first cruise and was wondering if I can share some experiences from my fellow ex cruisers

Thought I'd chime in. There is another thread I have been following but found this thread too. The other thread is here: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1133204

To answer your questions (I too am a first time cruiser so take my info for what it's worth) I booked all my excursions myself using the info from these boards. We are also on the July 23 Western cruise and hope like heck it makes as I don't want to do Eastern. I found that the price difference was jacked up at least 150% for excursions through Carnival vs doing it yourself. As I am a family of 4, that adds up quickly! Here's what I have scheduled:

Cozumel: beach day at Paradise Beach and para-sailing(the kids want the water toys)

Costa Maya: beach day at The Tropicante and more snorkeling (have heard nothing but great things about this place and his chair rentals fill up quickly)

Roatan: private tour with Victor Bodden (these guys come highly rated)

Belize: cave tubing with Major Tom (again, highly reputable and long history of getting people back to the boat on time)

There are drawbacks to booking your own. If you don't make it back to the ship, you can wave to it as it leaves. Weather or other circumstances can cancel an excursion. Booking yourself, there are no guarantees. However, other than I think it was $20 to Major Tom, I am out $0 if the ship cannot make the port or we don't show for some other reason. All reservations are made without money ahead of time. It's really a matter of how comfortable you are with making your choices. Through a TON of research on these boards I feel pretty confident in our excursions. Hope you have time to book something if you have not already. If you're interested, send me an email to dooder911@yahoo.com and I could send you the contact information for any of the places I booked.

From what I hear, it's looking like good news for the Western trip. Fingers crossed...

Archived