Dockyard Sea Glass Beach - the easy way!

32N64W

• 2 weeks later...

Sea glass beach was one of my must dos. We went to horseshoe bay beach and then took the #7 bus back to the dockyard, on the way we asked the bus driver to drop us off at sea glass beach. He pointed it out to us as we were driving by black bay and then dropped us off at the next stop. It was in front of abandoned housing, very sketchy looking. We walked to the back of the housing and found a rough path, followed it back to black bay and checked it out thinking it was the seaglass beach,it did have some glass on it, mostly fresh and sharp. From reading this thread I knew this couldn't be it, it was supposed to have inches of seaglass... So we set out and walked back up the path and kept walking past where the bus dropped us. We happened upon a convict cemetery and found a path that dropped down to the REAL seaglass beach. It was very impressive! Literally 6 inches of very large pieces of seaglass! It was nice to see but we didn't spend much time there as it was kind of stinky and had trash strewn around the beach as well. Then we walked back to the bus through a construction site and up a hill and caught the bus right at the bridge that connects to the dockyard area.

Sea glass beach was one of my must dos. We went to horseshoe bay beach and then took the #7 bus back to the dockyard, on the way we asked the bus driver to drop us off at sea glass beach. He pointed it out to us as we were driving by black bay and then dropped us off at the next stop. It was in front of abandoned housing, very sketchy looking. We walked to the back of the housing and found a rough path, followed it back to black bay and checked it out thinking it was the seaglass beach,it did have some glass on it, mostly fresh and sharp. From reading this thread I knew this couldn't be it, it was supposed to have inches of seaglass... So we set out and walked back up the path and kept walking past where the bus dropped us. We happened upon a convict cemetery and found a path that dropped down to the REAL seaglass beach. It was very impressive! Literally 6 inches of very large pieces of seaglass! It was nice to see but we didn't spend much time there as it was kind of stinky and had trash strewn around the beach as well. Then we walked back to the bus through a construction site and up a hill and caught the bus right at the bridge that connects to the dockyard area.

While actually seeing sea glass beach sounds really impressive, your description of Black Bay and the smells of sea glass beach kinda has me thinking twice about this. My original plans was to try to make it there and possibly watch the sunset from there. However, it doesn't sound like the kinda place I want to go and just hang out in (there or the surroundings). Then we had decided to try to locate it from the water by renting the jet skis. I guess we'll see what happens and play it by ear. I at least wanted to get pictures. :(

While actually seeing sea glass beach sounds really impressive, your description of Black Bay and the smells of sea glass beach kinda has me thinking twice about this. My original plans was to try to make it there and possibly watch the sunset from there. However, it doesn't sound like the kinda place I want to go and just hang out in (there or the surroundings). Then we had decided to try to locate it from the water by renting the jet skis. I guess we'll see what happens and play it by ear. I at least wanted to get pictures. :(

Yes, we didn't spend much time there, just enough to take a few pictures and walk along the "beach". Black bay is very rocky, not like the clean sandy beach of horseshoe bay. We did also check out snorkel park which is really close to the ship, we went late in the afternoon and just walked in, there wasn't anyone in the admission booth. It seemed nice and sandy, had chairs and a bar and restaurant.

Yes, we didn't spend much time there, just enough to take a few pictures and walk along the "beach". Black bay is very rocky, not like the clean sandy beach of horseshoe bay. We did also check out snorkel park which is really close to the ship, we went late in the afternoon and just walked in, there wasn't anyone in the admission booth. It seemed nice and sandy, had chairs and a bar and restaurant.

Did you find Snorkel Park to be decent since you mentioned it was nice and sandy? I have seen several reports of the sand not being so nice and broken glass and stuff at the beach and in the water.

• 1 month later...

We went to the sea glass beach by the dockyard on 7/2/15 and there's not much sea glass there. Very disappointing especially because we squeezed it in at the end of a long, hot day at horseshoe bay. I don't want to say don't waste your time because I don't know how often new glass washes ashore but for now, only do if if you're REALLY bored. We also went to a sea glass beach in St George that was much better. I can't remember the name of it, but research that one if you're interested in sea glass.

We went to the sea glass beach by the dockyard on 7/2/15 and there's not much sea glass there. Very disappointing especially because we squeezed it in at the end of a long, hot day at horseshoe bay. I don't want to say don't waste your time because I don't know how often new glass washes ashore but for now, only do if if you're REALLY bored. We also went to a sea glass beach in St George that was much better. I can't remember the name of it, but research that one if you're interested in sea glass.

I'm not doubting what you saw....you saw what you saw..:) However, it goes against everything we've ever seen numerous times. The beach at Alexandra's Battery (St. George) only ever had pieces scattered about here and there. The best place to find it was to climb over the cement wall, cross some rocks and get into the cave, which can only be safely done at low tide. Even in the cave did not compare to what's normally on the other beach.

The glass at the beach near Dockyard can vary, I suppose, depending on what the tide brings in. I think you're the first one to post that you didn't see much there.

For most people, the Dockyard glass beach is the most convenient to get to if they want to see any glass. Unfortunately, the St. George area, which is wonderful in so many ways and not just the glass beach, is a bit of a trek to get to, either by ferry or bus.

Just as an FYI, a couple of Bermuda residents have said there used to be a public dump somewhere in the vicinity of the Dockyard glass beach and that's where it comes from. Another tidbit, some residents consider it a natural resource and other consider it trash....go figure.:D

I'm not doubting what you saw....you saw what you saw..:) However, it goes against everything we've ever seen numerous times. The beach at Alexandra's Battery (St. George) only ever had pieces scattered about here and there. The best place to find it was to climb over the cement wall, cross some rocks and get into the cave, which can only be safely done at low tide. Even in the cave did not compare to what's normally on the other beach.

The glass at the beach near Dockyard can vary, I suppose, depending on what the tide brings in. I think you're the first one to post that you didn't see much there.

For most people, the Dockyard glass beach is the most convenient to get to if they want to see any glass. Unfortunately, the St. George area, which is wonderful in so many ways and not just the glass beach, is a bit of a trek to get to, either by ferry or bus.

Just as an FYI, a couple of Bermuda residents have said there used to be a public dump somewhere in the vicinity of the Dockyard glass beach and that's where it comes from. Another tidbit, some residents consider it a natural resource and other consider it trash....go figure.:D

Someone on our cruise reopened it was bad....."looked like a bunch of broken trash". Also said there used to be a public dump near there. They said it wasn't worth going to....even if you would find nice sea glass, it's illegal to take it.