Luggage on the Tour part of a Cruisetour?

rbnk

Could someone please clarify the size of the "Join Me Tonight" suitcase that you can take on the Tour section of a Cruisetour? A couple that is on the facebook rollcall page for our cruise has stated that their travel agent told them the following: "We're wondering how we're going to fit everything we need for the Land Tour part of the trip into the little carry-on size that we're allowed for that part! It's going to be snug, especially since we need to include clothes for possible warm AND cool temps! Any tips from previous cruisers that have done the Alaskan Land Tour--Fairbanks to Whittier?" She goes onto say that the agent told them it should be a 21" or smaller carry on size.

I was under the impression from the Princess website that it could be any size as long as it was only one bag per passenger. We leave tomorrow and I am concerned about this as I am not taking a carry on that would fit clothes for a 7 day land tour. HELP:confused:

Bucket Listed - (We are the same cruise as you!! - not sure if we are on the same land tour - we are doing Fairbanks, Denali, Talkeetna, Kenai) that was my impression too and I sent her that information but she said she is still trying to pack in a 21" suitcase. I told her to call Princess and then I thought about posting it on here. Thanks!!

I'm also on a cruisetour. My impression is that your suitcases can be any size. The measurement you mention is what you can actually carry on your person on the bus, train, etc. ( ie, needs to fit under the seat on the train. )

Just have a backpack or large shopping bag with your essentials for the train, snacks, water bottle, camera, etc. Also bring a warm jacket or blanket, the train was FREEZING!!! We cruised first then did the land tour. You can send on ANY size suitcase you want up from the ship to the lodge to meet you. My nephew and his family have 2 young kids, so that meant a big suitcase for them. My husband and I both had a large duffel. Save room for some souvenirs. It got pretty tight for me, this bag travels separately from you on a big truck. You will see your main suitcase again in your final stop for departure home. Easy packing for home because you are already contained in a suitcase.:)

Bring whatever size you want. I opted to bring a small duffle style (about 17") and was able to pack 4 days worth of clothing for our land tour. We did land first, then cruise. I was able to get everything and have room left over. Just double up on wearing capris, jeans, 2 days for the land portion. I packed my clothes in large ziplock bags and compressed the air out. You will be surprised how much more stuff you can cram in that little overnight bag. End flaps held my toiletry items, flashlight, etc. Don't worry, it will work.

Yes, the train was freezing, make sure you have a jacket or fleece item for the train ride.

We kept our overnights w/ us wherever we went. They have storage area on the train where you can store your overnight but we had plenty of room on the floor so just kept those w/ us also.

It's a lot of work doing land and cruise! Have fun. Wish we were going back.

Mary

Whoever posted that information on FaceBook is wrong and their travel agent is either wrong or did not communicate well.

For the bag that your cruise lines handles and hauls for you any reasonable size suitcase that you can check on an airline without oversize/ overweight charges is fine.

For your train bag you need to carry along your valuables, your medicines, the items mentioned above (snacks etc) and comfort items.

Do not count on using the shared space on the train for your day bag as that storage is not secure at all.

Keep your bag with you at your seat.

Thanks All,

This makes me feel a lot better since I am leaving tomorrow and didn't want to have to change my packing plans. 1st cruise ever - here we come!!:D

rbnk: We are doing Anchorage, McKinley, Denali before our cruie. Heading in the other direction I guess. Really looking forward to it. :)

Have a large (expandable) suitcase packed for the ship, and two carry-ons for our land tour. Have a canvas bag for camera, computer, e-reader, binoculars to carry with us.

See you on board!

cruisingmimi: Thanks for the tip about having a fleece or something on transports.

Your welcome. I am always cold but find cruise ships are always freezing especially in the dining rooms. We did a cruise to Hawaii in Feb./March and it was freezing on our ship. Again, wished I had brought more layers, especially fleece garments. So I have learned that you should never go unprepared and always bring a fleece w/ you.

Binoculars are probably one of the most useful items to bring. Seeing all those glaciers through the binocs is really spectacular.

You should be fine as you are well organized w/ your bags! Good idea keeping all your electronic devices together, makes it easier when you are looking for one of them.

Have a spectacular cruise.

Mary

Your carry on will stay with you the whole portion of the land tour, you carry it along w/ you from hotel to hotel just like you would w/ any other land tour. That is why you need to make sure you have all your essentials (cosmetics, meds, etc.) in that carry on bag. The other luggage you will bring for the cruise will be sent ahead by Princess and will be waiting for you on the ship (or should be!).

Just treat your overnight or carry on as if it is your handbag so it will go wherever you go.

Hope this helps. I found the luggage thing a bit confusing at first but all you need to remember is that you need to have w/ you a carry on or overnight bag for your land tour that you will schlepp from place to place and the rest of your luggage will meet you on the ship, you won't see it.

Mary

So, I am taking the 7 day cruise first, then going to Denali for 2 days and Fairbanks for two days. Are you saying that I need to plan for at least 2 days of clothing in my carry on backpack in addition to my camera, etc. because everything else will go directly to Fairbanks? That is a lot to put into one backpack!.....

We just got back on a cruiseour with Princess - our "join me tonight" bag was a full sized suitcase.

We had a smaller duffel type bag that we kept with us all of the time. (with meds, toiletries, night clothes etc.)

If you are on Princesss-this is copied from their website-so you will actaully have a "meet me tonight" and a carryon plus any extra bags to meet you in Fairbanks

Packing for your Land Tour

Cruisetours involve many modes of transportation including motorcoaches, trains and sightseeing vehicles so make sure you take only the things you need to ensure comfort for you and your fellow travelers. There are different types of bags to consider for the land portion of your cruisetour.

Hand-Carry Tote/Backpack

• You'll want this bag with you every step of the way, so include only the essentials.
  • Items to pack in this bag include travel documents, photo ID, important medication, toiletries, camera, and any extra layers of clothing such as jackets or hats.
  • Your hand-carry tote bag should be a size that is comfortable to carry and should be able to be stowed under your seat. We recommend soft-sided tote bags or backpacks no larger than 17" x 14" x 4" with a zip enclosure.
  • Wheeled carry on cases that are used to carry-on luggage on airlines are too large and are not suitable as hand-carried luggage on motorcoaches and trains.

"Join Me Tonight" Luggage

You are allowed one piece of "Join Me Tonight" baggage per person on the land portion of your cruisetour. You will simply pack one bag and place luggage where instructed. Our handlers will pick it up and deliver it to your room at the next overnight location on your land tour.

• This bag will be transported separately from you and will not be accessible during transit.
  • Items to put in this bag include clothing, sleepwear, nonessential toiletries, extra shoes and anything else you might need at your hotel but do not need access to during the day.

"Join Me in Fairbanks/Anchorage" Luggage (for guests who cruise prior to their land tour)

• Passengers who cruise prior to their land tour should pack all the items they used on their cruise and will not need on land in this piece of luggage. After disembarkation from the ship, these bags will be inaccessible until delivered upon your arrival in the final destination of your itinerary.
  • Please identify your chosen pieces of luggage (excluding the one "Join Me Tonight" bag) with the "Join Me" tags based on your final destination.

I just read some replies here and they seem confusing. This is what we did

we left home with 2 full suitcases.

one was to meet us at the ship.

one was for the cruisetour.

we also had 2 duffel bags

1 camera bag

my purse.

The meet us at the ship bag - we didn't see again until we got on the ship.

The cruisetour bag - we never had to handle - the tour got it to each hotel for us. The duffel bag and my camera bag and my purse stayed with us everywhere.

We also planned for our 3 day cruise tour - those 3 outfits were repeated at our 3 port days.

so once we go on the ship we did laundry - which is sort of a joke...but that is another post.

Does that help?

We just got back on a cruiseour with Princess - our "join me tonight" bag was a full sized suitcase.

We had a smaller duffel type bag that we kept with us all of the time. (with meds, toiletries, night clothes etc.)

were you allowed a carry on with wheels? the size I have is smaller than the recommended 17x12-actually called a wheeled tote bag

were you allowed a carry on with wheels? the size I have is smaller than the recommended 17x12-actually called a wheeled tote bag

I suppose. It depends on your tour I guess - we were on some not so big buses.

They all had under the bus storage - so if you are fine with the wheeled bag going under the bus - you will be fine. t there were people who did that.

we only had a smallish bag, my camera bag, and my purse - and those three things stayed wiht us in the seats.

In June we did a Princess cruisetour. Land first, cruise second. This is how it worked for us. We took 2 large suitcases, and then each had some type of carry-on. DH had a backpack and I had a large purse ( in addition to my smaller purse).Before we left Houston we divided our clothes up. Our cruise clothes went into one suitcase and our land clothes went into the second suitcase. All the suitcases & carry-ons went with us to Anchorage and then to the hotel. On the airplane we both wore rainjackets and our hiking boots.

On the morning we were to leave for our first land stop, Princess picked up both suitcases very early. Our cruise suitcase was tagged with "To the Ship" and the luggage tag Princess wants you to print out. The land suitcase was tagged with "Meet Me Tonight" tag. We both carried our carry-ons on the Motorcoach. On the land portion - each day that we would move locations, Princess would pick our large suitcase in the morning and we would tag it "Meet Me Tonight". We always carried our carry-ons - the backpack and large purse. On the train, we left both the backpack and large purse (minus the wallets) in our seats as we went to lunch in the dining car and stood out on the viewing platforms.

After you do it once, it all makes sense

[

so once we go on the ship we did laundry - which is sort of a joke...but that is another post.

that doesn't sound good-please elaborate as this is what I am planning to do

we struggled finding working and available machines. it took me 3 laundramats. then all of the coin machines (change machines) weren't working. we called and reported it - and htey said - they weren't goin to be filled. My opinion is - if you are going to have a change machine it should work - if you aren't going to have a working change machine - REMOVE IT. They wanted us to come down to Passenger Services to get quarters - which is what we did - that is fine - but we had already trapsed all over the ship trying to find laundry (they are aft, and our room was forward). it was just frustrating.

I had brought with us the Purex 3 in one laundry sheets - which I recommend.

Other passengers were saying - Princess makes it difficult to do laundry on purpose so that you use their laundry service...Fine - remove the laundry faclities then...cause again - IF YOU ARE GONNA HAVE THEM - they should work. If you don't want passengers to use them - and you want them to use a centralized service - don't give us a choice.

Sorry - rant over.

Not sure what ship you are going on - but Customer Service was non-existent on Diamond.

we struggled finding working and available machines. it took me 3 laundramats. then all of the coin machines (change machines) weren't working. we called and reported it - and htey said - they weren't goin to be filled. My opinion is - if you are going to have a change machine it should work - if you aren't going to have a working change machine - REMOVE IT. They wanted us to come down to Passenger Services to get quarters - which is what we did - that is fine - but we had already trapsed all over the ship trying to find laundry (they are aft, and our room was forward). it was just frustrating.

I had brought with us the Purex 3 in one laundry sheets - which I recommend.

Other passengers were saying - Princess makes it difficult to do laundry on purpose so that you use their laundry service...Fine - remove the laundry faclities then...cause again - IF YOU ARE GONNA HAVE THEM - they should work. If you don't want passengers to use them - and you want them to use a centralized service - don't give us a choice.

Sorry - rant over.

Not sure what ship you are going on - but Customer Service was non-existent on Diamond.

we are on the Coral-I also have bought the Purex sheets to use. We are mid ship on the Caribe deck, so maybe the laundry will not be as inconvenient.I think some people have also said there are laundry areas at the hotels. I'll plan to bring rolls of quarters

thanks for the heads up

Archived