golf in hawaii

badger71

we are two couples from near Boston. We will be sailing on POA on 5-12-12 we are looking for information and reviews by people who have been POA and played golf while in Hawaii. thanks:)

I haven't tried the POA yet, as I know my way around the islands well enough to prefer land-based vacations thereto (although I'd love to see the Napali Coast of Kauai and the volcano flowing into the sea at the far other end of the cruise itinerary.)

But as for golf, I opine that the Kauai Lagoons is a good value by Hawaiian standards. It's a beautiful course, challenging in spots, and around a hundred bucks for 18 holes per golfball whacker. It was torn up for awhile during some redevelopment in the area, but according to one report I read, that was completed on May 23rd. (We were there six months ago. There were some detours and temporary holes, but there was still a lot of fun to be had, and DW and I had no objections.)

There is a challenging eighteen holes available, on which they require you to use a powered cart as is endemic in Hawaii. There is also a much less challenging nine holes on which you can take a pull cart if you prefer.

This course is about a mile and a quarter from where POA docks, albeit up a gentle slope. It isn't a bad walk. MapQuest it. I'm not sure what the docks are called, but if you put "Nawiliwili Park, Lihue, HI" in as your starting place and "Kauai Lagoons, Lihue, HI" in as your destination, you'll get the picture. That map will tell you it is eight tenths of a mile, but the actual dock is about a half mile south (i.e. "makai" -- oceanward) of the park.

Or you can grab a cab, I suppose; your choice.

Have fun. Aloha.

InThe

Badger, if you go to the Ports of Call forum for the Hawaii boards, you will find my very detailed review of our golfing experiences while on POA this past May. Just click on "search this forum" and type in golf. My review is about halfway down the page. If you have any questions, just ask away.

Archived