Explorer of the Seas and Celebrity ship out of Bayone N.J.

The wife and I and another couple are thinking of avoiding the airline hassle and booking a ship leaving Bayonne, N.J. We are looking at a 7 night cruise or possibly 8. In any event nothing longer than 9 days. We live in Philadelphia, PA., so the drive is only about 90 minutes. We would appreciate any info on the Explorer of the Seas which I know sails out of there. I heard about a year and a half ago that RCCL was supposed to refit this ship and update it. We were on it about 2001. It was quite a nice ship then, of course it was brand new back then. As a matter of fact it was the largest cruise ship at the time. I do know that it was reported to be geting rather seedy and was in need of updating. We would also like to know about any Celebrity ships out of there also i.e condition of ship, service and any good or bad comments on either of these cruise lines ships. We have sailed on about 9 other cruises so are experienced with cruising to say the least. The other couple we are sailing with did a couple of cruises before. but they were quite a few years ago. I don't want to disappoint them, especially if I'm the one steering them to a certain ship or itinerary. We are basically only interested in RCCL and Celebrity. My daughters have sailed Celebrity and they were happy. We have no complaints to speak of from our prior sailings with RCCL. Any input would be greatly appreciated, Thanks.

My husband and I were just on the Explorer for a 5 night to Bermuda this past Father's Day weekend. We found it to be fine. Yes, it is older, but didn't find anything wrong with it. I will say that our bed was a little hard, but then again last year we were on the Oasis, I guess there beds were a little softer.

We found the crew to be very nice, pleasant and attentive to us. Our cabin stewart was wonderful. The food was good. I wouldn't hesitate to do this ship again.

As far as boarding we had no problem. We arrived around 11:30 stood in line for a little bit to check in and then went very quickly for boarding the ship.

My only disappointment was that we had quite a few rude people on the ship. They thought nothing of pushing you out of the way at times and I found them to be very rude to the staff. Really not necessary. With that being said, that could happen on any cruise and just seemed to be a lot on this particular cruise.

If you are looking for a pretty embarktation port, this is not it. What I did like, was we did get to see the Statute of Liberty from the ship, the Verizano Bridge (sorry for the spelling). Whatever you decide I am sure you and your friends will have a good time.

Oh, I did like it only being a short drive for us, we are from Delaware. Hope this helps. Happy cruising.

There are many threads discussing the Explorer of the Seas.

Perhaps you could start with this one:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1424019

For more, go to the main page of the Royal Caribbean forum, and click on the link on the right to "search this forum". When you open that box, click on "advanced search". On that next page, put Explorer into the search box, be sure that "search titles only" is showing. Hit "search now."

You'll be reading about the Explorer for months.

:)

We have gone out of Bayone many times. I have done the Explorer beiore and found it to be my favorite. We are doing a 9 night in October to the caribbean. We chose that just for the ship. We just did a 7 night on Celebrity Summit. The ship seems old. I was not impressed with this ship at all and would never go on it again. I have heard that it is going to be refurbished soon, but I don't know when. RC is starting to do a 7 night to Bermuda next fall. That's something to look into.

We have gone out of Bayone many times. I have done the Explorer beiore and found it to be my favorite. We are doing a 9 night in October to the caribbean. We chose that just for the ship. We just did a 7 night on Celebrity Summit. The ship seems old. I was not impressed with this ship at all and would never go on it again. I have heard that it is going to be refurbished soon, but I don't know when. RC is starting to do a 7 night to Bermuda next fall. That's something to look into.

Celebrity Summit will be "Solsticized" in January 2012.

If you are looking for a pretty embarktation port, this is not it. What I did like, was we did get to see the Statute of Liberty from the ship, the Verizano Bridge (sorry for the spelling). Whatever you decide I am sure you and your friends will have a good time.

[

Kuddles, I agree with your assessment of the Explorer; we will be sailing her again this December, because we love the convenience of sailing out of a port that's less than 30 minutes from home. Just a thought or two about departing from this port. There aren't palm trees and sandy beaches, so, true; it is not exactly "pretty", in the typical sense...

But what you DO have is a great view of the fabulous NYC skyline, and Statue of Liberty, historic Fort Hamilton, and a breathtaking sail under the Verrazzano. NY harbor is not too shabby, and I always try to envision what Henry Hudson thought about it on first view. It's quite formidable!

Have fun!

Teddie & Lee

IMG_1563.jpg.5da04bcab2fa41c4e27d359733fc1c56.jpg

We did Explorer a couple years ago & it was lovely. Something else to look into are the Manhattan & Brooklyn ports - we just did Princess out of Brooklyn & it wasn't bad, the drive was pretty easy (we're in the Valley Forge area). I really wanted to go on the Celebrity Silhouette (?) which is brand spanking new out of Bayonne, but none of the dates fit in our schedule.

We are going on a repositioning cruise on RCCL Brilliance of the Seas in November 2012. Leaves Cape Liberty, sails around the leeward islands and leaves us in San Juan. We don't mind the flight home, rather that than another 3 days at sea. It's an 8 day cruise, another options for you if you don't mind the flight back.

Hi,

The Explorer is a nice ship. However the Port of Bayonne isn't.

Before booking a cruise out of Bayonne depending on the time of year.

Google Over Spraying at the port of Bayonne. We are about 90 minutes from Bayonne as well. We sailed out of there once & never again. We will drive an extra hr & sail out of Baltimore just to avoid Bayonne. Baltimore is a GREAT port to leave from.

Happy cruising.

Joyce & Of Course Harvey

Done the Explorer 2 x and next one is in Nov. We loved the no fly so less travel time. We live by Gettysburg and were home by 2p. We have never had problems with the port and if for some reason there is a problem with overspray posters have all said the damages were paid for by the port. Also is allowing our kids to cruise this year as they dont have to add the price of airfare unto the price.

There are many threads discussing the Explorer of the Seas.

Perhaps you could start with this one:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1424019

For more, go to the main page of the Royal Caribbean forum, and click on the link on the right to "search this forum". When you open that box, click on "advanced search". On that next page, put Explorer into the search box, be sure that "search titles only" is showing. Hit "search now."

You'll be reading about the Explorer for months.

:)

Thank you for the Explorer Link. I do have one question to ask you though. Is that correct that you have over 30,000 posts on this site? How is that possible, lol. You are what makes this site work. There is no question that can be asked, that won't be answered on Cruise Critic. Thanks again and keep on posting.

The wife and I and another couple are thinking of avoiding the airline hassle and booking a ship leaving Bayonne, N.J. We are looking at a 7 night cruise or possibly 8. In any event nothing longer than 9 days. We live in Philadelphia, PA., so the drive is only about 90 minutes. We would appreciate any info on the Explorer of the Seas which I know sails out of there. I heard about a year and a half ago that RCCL was supposed to refit this ship and update it. We were on it about 2001. It was quite a nice ship then, of course it was brand new back then. As a matter of fact it was the largest cruise ship at the time. I do know that it was reported to be geting rather seedy and was in need of updating. We would also like to know about any Celebrity ships out of there also i.e condition of ship, service and any good or bad comments on either of these cruise lines ships. We have sailed on about 9 other cruises so are experienced with cruising to say the least. The other couple we are sailing with did a couple of cruises before. but they were quite a few years ago. I don't want to disappoint them, especially if I'm the one steering them to a certain ship or itinerary. We are basically only interested in RCCL and Celebrity. My daughters have sailed Celebrity and they were happy. We have no complaints to speak of from our prior sailings with RCCL. Any input would be greatly appreciated, Thanks.

Thanks again to all of you for your help. It's always appreciated.

Loved the EOS and leaving out of Bayonne was great.

I highly recommend, and here is a link to my review of our June 23, 2011 cruise, absolutely fantastic, not one problem or complaint.

I agree with all the other posters about Explorer and the port. My DW, DS and I have been on EX twice and have another booking for November. We don't think you can find a nicer, more attentive crew anywhere. I'm sorry I cannot comment on Celebrity as we have never sailed them.

Please check the link that 138East (hi Carol) posted for Radio's reviews, he dies a fantastic job with both his "Live" posts and pictorial/video offerings.

We sailed explorer twice, last july was the most recent. Awesome ship, lots of fun, excellent staff and fantastic food. Love balcony on floor 6 or 7. Promenade room is great for kids/teens. Bayonne if fine. You are only there for a little while. Bridge is cool to go under, fireboats gave us a send off with water shooting everywhere. Fun ship. Book it.

Thank you for the Explorer Link. I do have one question to ask you though. Is that correct that you have over 30,000 posts on this site? How is that possible, lol. You are what makes this site work. There is no question that can be asked, that won't be answered on Cruise Critic. Thanks again and keep on posting.

And that doesn't count posts on threads in the Floataway Lounge. :D

I've been here for 8 years. And I have a lot of "LIVE FROM" threads. I like to report from my cruises.

Wanna read about my 53 nights on the Mariner? ;) http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=894610

Kuddles, I agree with your assessment of the Explorer; we will be sailing her again this December, because we love the convenience of sailing out of a port that's less than 30 minutes from home. Just a thought or two about departing from this port. There aren't palm trees and sandy beaches, so, true; it is not exactly "pretty", in the typical sense...

But what you DO have is a great view of the fabulous NYC skyline, and Statue of Liberty, historic Fort Hamilton, and a breathtaking sail under the Verrazzano. NY harbor is not too shabby, and I always try to envision what Henry Hudson thought about it on first view. It's quite formidable!

Have fun!

Teddie & Lee

Come and join our roll call for this trip:)

We love love love the Explorer of the Seas. The new Celebrity ship is coming to Bayonne. We found the prices to be much higher so have yet to book on Celebrity. We have many many crew members that we have become found of and look forward to seeing them each cruise and stay in touch via facebook.

This ship is constantly being maintained by the crew which take great pride in her condition. She goes up and down the Atlantic constantly and takes more abuse than most ships in the fleet.

The food is pretty good and most seem to be able to find something on the menus they like and even new things to try!

I don't think you will be disappointed in whatever you choose, after all you aren't doing any cooking, cleaning, or working!!!!

We will be on the Explorer for the third time in November. We've also sailed Constellation out of Bayonne many years ago. Yes, the port itself is nothing special, but the sail under the Verrazona bridge is breathtaking, especially when it is dark enough for all the lights to be on. If you are on an upper deck, you feel like you can reach up and touch the bridge.

Cruising out of the New York area is always something special.

i love explorer...have sailed on her 10 times..and will be joining ken, radio, 138east and more in november..

i sailed on Summit from SJ 3 weeks in a row..having booked the 2nd and 3rd ON the ship...it was also wonderful..excellent service, great food, hardly any smoky areas.....super nice crew......

i wouldn't hesitate to sail on Summit again...at this point i would say i am an equal opportunity cruiser between the 2 ships......i like a longer itinerary..and i pay attention to price....but both ships were fantastic.

the pier in bayonne is well, not attractive, but it is pretty easy to get to....

i would choose whichever ship fits your wallet and time frame the best..

The best part is coming home.

We live in the Philly burbs (about 1.5 from the port). We carried our stuff off the ship and were home by 11:30 - with a quick stop close in NJ to drop off my grandparents. It was SOOOO nice not having stress at the end of vacation.

As a hint, sign up for express walk-off early in the trip. People are assigned groups to get off. The earlier you sign up the earlier your group. We were group C (signed up the 3rd day - of course we didn't know to sign up earlier). The groups went up to J for express walk-off on our cruise.

Archived