Will HAL alternative restaurants go a-la-carte?

I won't even pretend to be able to guess at what HAL will do!

I was going to say I thought the PG was, for all intents and purposes, a-la-carte in that you choose your appetizer, soup, salad, entree, and/or dessert, all for one price. But when I looked it up online, I see it also means charging per item selected. For those who might like 2 desserts or appetizers, this doesn't sound like such a good change.

OTOH, those who don't order extras end up subsidizing those who do - the costs have to be covered, either by the person consuming each item or by everyone who dines there. I.e., if there are 20 people and 20 desserts, the price is, in effect, per item; but if there are 20 people and 30 desserts, some people are paying as much for 1 dessert as others are paying for 2.

So a-la-carte would probably be fairer - although, and this is my biggest objection, it would seem to take it down a step, i.e., from elegant restaurant to regular restaurant (with better than average food, perhaps). That is, in my mind, I think of an elegant restaurant as being one where one doesn't "think prices", simply enjoys superior food. YMMV.

If the cost of the meal remains $20 for those who order one of each I suppose it doesn't matter, money-wise. But this is a way to increase revenues, or perhaps compensate for a lot of people ordering more than one of something.

So, I don't know if they will but I can see a couple reasons they would.

I see HAL increasing the fixed price before they take the a la carte step.

I agree, I doubt seriously HAL would do the a la carte plus if I am reading it right they are not doing that for Chops just the other lessor priced speciality restaurants. HAL is definitely not even remoting in the same class as a RCCL ship.

Personally I wish HAL would include the tip with with the charge of Pinnacle. So increase it to $40.00 PP giving the extra as a tip because so many times when we have had dinner there we have had pre paid Pinnacle and when you have that they do not bring you any kind of bill unless there is bar bill. In so many cases at the end of the meal you have no bill and you cannot find you server when you are leaving. I have done it but find it tacky to leave the tip sitting on the table. It just seems ackward. :o I want to be able to tip them but it seems hard to do this.

I agree Lisa - I think that an increase in the overall price should be expected. It's been $20 pp for quite a while and quite a bargain and now, with the mariner benefits, many people only have to pay $10 or $15 pp.

HAL can't add the tip to the bill since tipping is not obligatory. We just slide our tip under something and have no problem doing that. i believe they are all split in the PG by the staff?

I agree Lisa - I think that an increase in the overall price should be expected. It's been $20 pp for quite a while and quite a bargain and now, with the mariner benefits, many people only have to pay $10 or $15 pp.

HAL can't add the tip to the bill since tipping is not obligatory. We just slide our tip under something and have no problem doing that. i believe they are all split in the PG by the staff?

I am not by any means an experienced cruiser, but back when I was reading these boards in 2007/2008 I thought I read that HAL had increased the Pinnacle fee to $30, but then dropped it back to $20. Did I dream this or did it actually happen?

Update: I did a quick search and found this thread:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=422642&highlight=pinnacle+increases

I am not by any means an experienced cruiser, but back when I was reading these boards in 2007/2008 I thought I read that HAL had increased the Pinnacle fee to $30, but then dropped it back to $20. Did I dream this or did it actually happen?

I wasn't on the boards back then :o but I can tell you that we sailed in that time frame and the price was $20 pp as I can best recall;)

You're correct---it actually happened.

IIRC, the original price for dinner in the Pinnacle was $15. It then increased to $30 (there may have been a stop at $20 on the way up), and was later reduced to the current $20.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=422642&highlight=pinnacle+increases

No ... you're not dreaming nor delusional. You remember it accurately.

...increase it to $40.00 PP...

I think that is too much. Even if they increased the base price to $25-30 pp that leaves a gratuity of 33-60% (of the base price). If you meant to include gratuity for wine, etc. then maybe that's okay, but for those of us who don't drink wine or any alcohol or even soda, that's an awfully large tip (and I'm not cheap, I tip about average).

... we have no problems finding our servers at the end of the meal to give them their tips.
Usually they're nearby. But on our last cruise I gave the gratuity to the maitre d' because I had not seen our servers in a while.

As it stands right now, Holland America offers one of the best values for quality dining choices of any large-ship cruise line (I exclude the Deluxe/6-Star Luxury lines).

Canaletto, a venue that certainly would be a "for fee" restaurant on NCL or Royal is complimentary.

Lunch at Tamarind - also complimentary. Dinner, a modest $15 for one of the best meals (both in terms of menu, food quality and service) that I've experienced at sea.

Pinnacle Grill, significantly better IMHO than Chops on Royal, yet Chops is 50% more.

As the Cruise Critic news editor pointed out, a Quesadilla with chicken and a side of Guacamole is almost $12 in Royal's new "pay as you go" casual dining venue. :eek:

Room service - served on Rosenthal china and fine silverware, with a great selection of options (particularly for breakfast), all prepared fresh and served at an acceptable temperature at the time specified. All this with no "convenience fees"!

Even little things in the HAL MDRs. Would you care for cheese after dinner? Choose from a cheese menu with 10 distinct international fine cheeses served with your choice of breads and fine crackers in an individual bread basket, with grapes, figs, almonds and dried apricots. Compare this to my last Royal cruise where it was a plate of no-name slices of swiss cheese with saltines (?!).

Some folks don't value a fine-dining experience as much as bells and whistles and exiting hardware. But for my money, HAL offers an incredible value for good quality dining experiences - arguably the best in the industry today for price point.

In fact, far from cutting back or further nickel and diming, I actually have found cuisine selections and quality to have increased on HAL the last year or two. I sincerely hope HAL keeps up this signature and brand pillar without resorting to a la carte pricing or dining nickel and diming.

And with the deadline fast approaching -- many of us prebooked as many Pinnacles ahead as we could for all our future cruises.

I think that gave HAL something to think about.

What deadline?

Carol, I believe KK is speaking of the past, when the Pinnacle charge was going to increase to $30. There was much advance notice, and bookings made before the increase were honored at the price charged when booked, even if the dinner was scheduled after the increase.

As it stands right now, Holland America offers one of the best values for quality dining choices of any large-ship cruise line (I exclude the Deluxe/6-Star Luxury lines).

Canaletto, a venue that certainly would be a "for fee" restaurant on NCL or Royal is complimentary.

Lunch at Tamarind - also complimentary. Dinner, a modest $15 for one of the best meals (both in terms of menu, food quality and service) that I've experienced at sea.

Pinnacle Grill, significantly better IMHO than Chops on Royal, yet Chops is 50% more.

As the Cruise Critic news editor pointed out, a Quesadilla with chicken and a side of Guacamole is almost $12 in Royal's new "pay as you go" casual dining venue. :eek:

Room service - served on Rosenthal china and fine silverware, with a great selection of options (particularly for breakfast), all prepared fresh and served at an acceptable temperature at the time specified. All this with no "convenience fees"!

Even little things in the HAL MDRs. Would you care for cheese after dinner? Choose from a cheese menu with 10 distinct international fine cheeses served with your choice of breads and fine crackers in an individual bread basket, with grapes, figs, almonds and dried apricots. Compare this to my last Royal cruise where it was a plate of no-name slices of swiss cheese with saltines (?!).

Some folks don't value a fine-dining experience as much as bells and whistles and exiting hardware. But for my money, HAL offers an incredible value for good quality dining experiences - arguably the best in the industry today for price point.

In fact, far from cutting back or further nickel and diming, I actually have found cuisine selections and quality to have increased on HAL the last year or two. I sincerely hope HAL keeps up this signature and brand pillar without resorting to a la carte pricing or dining nickel and diming.

Excellent.

I agree HAL does a very good job with alternative dining and Room Service. That is one feature we find enhances our cruises in way that matters to us.

.....what do you usually leave for a PG tip? Tip both the wine steward & the waiter?

The wine steward is already covered in the 15% service charge on the wine. The table steward(s) are covered in the $11 per person daily service charge.

However, you are free to tip an additional amount in cash to either or both. The amount would be based on what you feel is appropriate for the service rendered.

RuthC,

Thank you, I feel better now. I had thought the PG waitstaff was included in the $11/day but was worried that I had shorted them on my recent cruise from what some posters said. I only left a supplement amount.

RuthC,

Thank you, I feel better now. I had thought the PG waitstaff was included in the $11/day but was worried that I had shorted them on my recent cruise from what some posters said. I only left a supplement amount.

This is something I am not totally sure on. Are they definitely covered in the $11 per person per day? I had thought I had heard they were not.

Archived