Will HAL alternative restaurants go a-la-carte?

This is something I am not totally sure on. Are they definitely covered in the $11 per person per day?

Well, according to a poster here, one who presents himself as an officer on ships (including HAL), they are not only covered under the $11 per person daily service charge, but they get more of it than the dining room table stewards do.

Well, according to a poster here, one who presents himself as an officer on ships (including HAL), they are not only covered under the $11 per person daily service charge, but they get more of it than the dining room table stewards do.

Oh, Ruth.....what's his initials?

While aboard the Zuiderdam in May, I asked the hotel manager about this. He confirmed what RuthC says above, although he did make reference to the entire tip allocation regime being a bit more complicated than typically portrayed.

On the Eurodam, our drinks waiter told us not to tip him, as he gets the 15% (and we drink every night) but give it to the waiters who need it more.

But I am surprised to hear that people apparently order more than one item of a course of a meal. I would never even think of that!

I think there's at least one more. :)

manbehindthecurtain? Or is he yet another? He hasn't posted in 5 months.

... although he did make reference to the entire tip allocation regime being a bit more complicated than typically portrayed.
Right - the percentage numbers the CD's throw out are averages at best. Insiders have said it is based on position and length of service.

But I am surprised to hear that people apparently order more than one item of a course of a meal. I would never even think of that!

On our first cruise we went with my sister and BIL. They are veteran cruisers and introduced us to this. However, the only time we ordered two of something was when we didn't like something else. So in the end we had the same number of courses as someone who ordered one of every choice, we just skipped a course and chose to have two of another course. There was one night when the waiter actually asked if we wanted more of the main course. I can't remember what it was as I am a vegetarian. I think it might have been lobster and filet or something similar.

Archived