Get a passport book, even for closed loop

What is a passport Card?

A passport card is a document that the government came out with for citizens that cross the Canadian and/or Mexico borders such as trucks drivers.

It is good for 5-years and cost $25.00. It can only be used if driving or walking across the border no flying

An article in local paper told about a couple going on a cruise but were delayed by a cancelled flight to departure port. Cruise line offered a flight to first port of call, Grand Caymen. Unfortunitly they did not have a pssport book only the Passport card. NO GOOD they had to return home and unable to take the cruise.

Another reason to get a Passport

We were taking a cruise to Hawaii in July 2010. No need for a passport because we are in the US. At the last minute, I decided to take it. Don't ask me why because, in my mind, it was just something else to keep up with, lose, or have stolen.

DH's birthday is August 3 which was when his driver's license expired. He had gotten a notice to renew it in June and dutifully went down the first week of July because he didn't want to wait until we got back from Hawaii which would have been the end of July. They issued him a paper license and clipped the corner of his current license which is SOP and gave it back to him. The paper license was expiring while we were in Hawaii so he didn't even bother to take it. He still had his "old" one which was good until August 3--or so he thought. The new one had not come by the time we left.

We get to the airport to check for our flight to HNL. TSA would not accept his "old" license as a picture ID because the corner was clipped. He pointed out that it was not expiring until August 3. No sale. If I hadn't had his passport with me, we'd have been denied boarding as the DL was the only picture ID he had on him having emptied his wallet of everything but what was needed for the trip.

Fortunately, the rent car places in Hawaii had no problem accepting his "expired" license and neither did TSA on the return flight. I guess the TSA chickie was having a bad hair day or maybe TSA in HNL didn't know what the clipped corner meant.

Tucker in Texas

Fortunately, the rent car places in Hawaii had no problem accepting his "expired" license and neither did TSA on the return flight. I guess the TSA chickie was having a bad hair day or maybe TSA in HNL didn't know what the clipped corner meant.

My uncle recently flew from San Diego to the east coast with his driver's license as ID. He lost it somewhere before boarding his return flight, but he was able to check in with only his Costco card!! It has his photo on it, but he thinks they accepted it since it states that he's been a member since 1984, lol.

We were taking a cruise to Hawaii in July 2010. No need for a passport because we are in the US. At the last minute, I decided to take it. Don't ask me why because, in my mind, it was just something else to keep up with, lose, or have stolen.

DH's birthday is August 3 which was when his driver's license expired. He had gotten a notice to renew it in June and dutifully went down the first week of July because he didn't want to wait until we got back from Hawaii which would have been the end of July. They issued him a paper license and clipped the corner of his current license which is SOP and gave it back to him. The paper license was expiring while we were in Hawaii so he didn't even bother to take it. He still had his "old" one which was good until August 3--or so he thought. The new one had not come by the time we left.

We get to the airport to check for our flight to HNL. TSA would not accept his "old" license as a picture ID because the corner was clipped. He pointed out that it was not expiring until August 3. No sale. If I hadn't had his passport with me, we'd have been denied boarding as the DL was the only picture ID he had on him having emptied his wallet of everything but what was needed for the trip.

Tucker in Texas

Good thing you had the passport with you. TSA can be so inconsistant, if TSA at your home airport would not accept the expired DL then the same should have been true in HNL. I can see the day coming soon where a passport will be the only accepted form of ID when travelling even domestically. When that day will arrive is any ones guess?

My uncle recently flew from San Diego to the east coast with his driver's license as ID. He lost it somewhere before boarding his return flight, but he was able to check in with only his Costco card!! It has his photo on it, but he thinks they accepted it since it states that he's been a member since 1984, lol.

Same thing happened with my DIL and she got on with her Sam's card. After I got home, I started thinking that the ONLY picture IDs I have are my passport and DL so I'll be taking both with me from now on. Husband does have a retired NASA employee card with his picture on it which he won't be leaving at home the next time.

I'm thinking I may go down to DMV and apply for a duplicate license saying I lost mine just to have a back-up.

Tucker in Texas

Archived