Key West Restaurants

Sallyjv

We are taking a cruise to Key West in January 2012 for my daughters wedding. She will get married on the beach in Key West and then we are thinking that the small group (less than 20) of family and friends could go to a local restaurant to celebrate the wedding. Any suggestions on which local restaurants would be a good place to visit for such a celebration?

Are you looking for someplace with a private room? There are a lot of people on here with vast knowledge of Key West that will be able to give you ideas. Not sure if Louie's Backyard has a private room, however they have great views and a nice menu. Check out their website. I have heard good things about the restaurant the Hyatt has on their island, but some mixed reviews lately. Maybe someone here has more info?

I am not sure Louie's Backyard takes groups, but if they do, that is a good choice. Others I would like include Blackfin Bistro or Azur. I am not sure where you are going to dock, but Rooftop Cafe is very nice with good food and is located very close to the docks at The Weston and Mallory Square.

Louie's Backyard is an excellent choice for a nice, scenic lunch. Their lunch hours are 11:30 - 3. They typically are not very busy for lunch, so I'm sure that if you give them a call, they will be happy to accomodate you. They can easily set up a table for under 20 on the outer deck. January is snowbird season, so reservations for a group are an absolute must. Here is their link:

http://louiesbackyard.com/

My only concern is your cruise date. The weather in January can be very unpredicable. It could be in the 70s or it could be 50, depending on the cold fronts. You may want to consider a restaurant with an indoor option.

For this, I recommend Rooftop Cafe. The lunch hours are 11-4. The main dining room is surrounded by glass sliders that can be opened if the weather is nice. Plus, they are much closer to the pier in case time starts running short. Here is their link:

http://www.rooftopcafekeywest.com/

Louie's Backyard has a large second floor room with a spectacular view. You have to go up the stairs. I've eaten there only once. We usually eat outdoors there. I don't know if they currently use the second floor room regularly or not. That room would be ideal for a group though because it can be private and because it can be comfortable if it happens to be a chilly day or happens to be a hot day.

You can call Louie's Backyard and ask about what is available and what they will be able to arrange for you.

I don't know your budget. Louie's Backyard isn't cheap, but it is very nice.

The upstairs room at Louie's is now a restaurant called "Louie's Upstairs." It features smaller plates and lower prices and is very good. I believe it is only open for dinner so they might do a group lunch.

Hi Sallyjv,

Congratulations on your Daughter's BIG Day !!

I LOVE Key West, it is a favourite spot of ours, and we hope to be able to winter in The Keys once we retire.

Have to agree with the others recommendations, Louie's Backyard is lovely... one of my favourite spots on Key West (we did a very special Christmas Eve Dinner there a couple of years ago). The setting is lovely, and the food was good (although yes it can be pricey).

The building is very big and the backside faces onto the ocean, with french doors that open up on the various levels... and the landscape is tiered with patios.

Depending on the weather, you could hold your event inside or out... and AQUAHOUND is right... the weather can be a BIG factor in January... so might be best to plan for Louie's Upstairs and just open the french doors if the day is superb... if it isn't cooperative... then the location with great views will sstill be spectacular (sort of out on a point... just around the point from the Southernmost Point in the Contintental USA)

KEYWESTER33's info here is spot-on... Louie's Upstairs is more of a wine-bar & small plates location now... if you want a Lunchtime event, I am sure they could work with you... if memory serves me right, before they converted the upstairs to the Wine Bar type atmosphere, it was often rented out for events.

As for beach... Key West is surrounded by Reef (as is the whole of The Keys)... so there really isn't a ton of sandy beachfront to be find... hope your Daughter is aware of that (it isn't for example like South Beach - Fort Lauderdale - Daytona Beach - Myrtle Beach... or anywhere else along the Atlantic that comes to mind... where the beaches stretch for blocks & miles at a time). Still pretty though... and the water that incredible Caribbean shade of turquoise.

If you want more indepth info about Key West, or any of the Hotels, Restaurants, Things to Do, etc... I recommend that you take a look at Cruise Critic's Sister Website... TRIPADVISOR = wwwtripadvisor.com

They focus more on Destinations for Travellers (whereas CC focuses on cruises)... TripAdvisor is divided up into several sections... the general Travel Info on each Destination is great... and they also have Boards / Forums that have some great Local Advisors & Destination Experts... (the folks in the Key West Forum are super helpful and friendly)... so you can ask Questions and they'll give you answers and make suggestions to fit your needs... lol, almost like having a friend who is a Travel Agent at your Destination.

Hope this is helpful,

Cheers!

• 3 months later...
I am not sure Louie's Backyard takes groups, but if they do, that is a good choice. Others I would like include Blackfin Bistro or Azur. I am not sure where you are going to dock, but Rooftop Cafe is very nice with good food and is located very close to the docks at The Weston and Mallory Square.

I loved Blackfin Bistro. Perhaps it was because it was the first burger I ever had with a fried egg on it, but it along with the fresh cut fries was wonderful.

Archived