Information on the ilounge courses please

Jo and Rob

We are sailing on Eclipse soon and would like to know more about the ilounge.

• Are the courses on computer skills such as photo editing free?

• Has anyone used the i-lounge? Thoughts?

• Has anyone bought apple products while on board? Would you recommend this? We are from the UK and I think products are cheaper in the USA so prices could be competitive for us. How much cheaper is it buying onboard rather than on USA soil?

many thanks

Jo

The classes are not free, they are as I recall $20-30 each and in relation to the Photoshop one it was not good use of my time or money as you work through the tutorial you can pull up on line from PS.

Everyone who does not have their own PC on board will be using the Ilounge, the use of the word lounge is misleading, its a classroom/shop. Service connection is slow

Finally I would not buy on board, you can get far better deals from UK retailers even allowing for the duty free which, you would in any event have to declare if you buy an expensive product. Be aware at Southampton customs are particularly vigilant, last year off Eclipse they were stopping one in five people. If your cruise stops at Gibraltar in particular, they will be looking out for you

Thanks for the swift reply. How much are you allowed to buy before you have to pay duty? I was planning on buying some perfume in Gibraltar but probably not much else. Is it worth making purchases in Gibraltar rather than on board?

many thanks

As with all overseas trips, the best source of information on tax free goods in the UK is

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/customs/arriving/index.htm

and not the guesses of forum members!!

Some points to bear in mind

1. You cannot combined duty free and duty paid allowance, if you have any duty free that becomes your allowance

2. Gibraltar in duty free

Archived