Cuba Open for US

Silverman

I was in Guantanamo Bay in the middle 80's on a Government sponsored cruise aboard a guided missile cruiser. The water and reefs were beautiful. We got ate up with sea-lice but the ocean was awesome. I think Cuba would be a great port to visit.

According to their website:

"Abercrombie & Kent has partnered with the Foundation for Caribbean Studies, a licensed people-to-people non-profit organization, on an itinerary that takes Americans beyond Havana to Trinidad in central Cuba, a Spanish colonial settlement and UNESCO World Heritage Site, and the rural countryside. There is time to explore Cuba's cultural and historical wonders, while meeting local people to talk about daily life in Cuba and to enjoy mojitos, salsa dancing and intimate dinners at paladares (privately-owned restaurants) for a first-hand introduction to Cuba's growing private business sector."

It's under the umbrella of a study program. They are walking a thin line.

Didnt mean to stir the pot. I didnt read anything about it. Just thought I would post about it. I thought it sounded interesting. I for one would love to go to Cuba. Hopefully sometime in the near future.

Yeah, I have researched similar before. It is actually not illegal for Americans to go to Cuba, you just can't support their economy. Meaning, you aren't supposed to spend money and you must go as part of a educational, professional, or religious group/purpose. They are walking a fine line...

Didnt mean to stir the pot. I didnt read anything about it. Just thought I would post about it. I thought it sounded interesting. I for one would love to go to Cuba. Hopefully sometime in the near future.

Yes, you stirred the pot of anticipation. I can't wait for the day when Cuba can become a port of call for US passengers. I would bet, if this happened there would be a flood of passengers booking the ships almost right away. I would be one of them.

Larry

I imagine the minute it is announced U.S. travelers can go to Cuba, all the major cruise lines will put into action all the plans they probably have outlilned already.

Yes, you stirred the pot of anticipation. I can't wait for the day when Cuba can become a port of call for US passengers. I would bet, if this happened there would be a flood of passengers booking the ships almost right away. I would be one of them.

Larry

Ditto to that!:)

I was in Guantanamo Bay in the middle 80's on a Government sponsored cruise aboard a guided missile cruiser. The water and reefs were beautiful. We got ate up with sea-lice but the ocean was awesome. I think Cuba would be a great port to visit.

that would be enough to stop me! That is miserable!

According to their website:

"Abercrombie & Kent has partnered with the Foundation for Caribbean Studies, a licensed people-to-people non-profit organization, on an itinerary that takes Americans beyond Havana to Trinidad in central Cuba, a Spanish colonial settlement and UNESCO World Heritage Site, and the rural countryside. There is time to explore Cuba's cultural and historical wonders, while meeting local people to talk about daily life in Cuba and to enjoy mojitos, salsa dancing and intimate dinners at paladares (privately-owned restaurants) for a first-hand introduction to Cuba's growing private business sector."

It's under the umbrella of a study program. They are walking a thin line.

Vantage is also offering a trip to Cuba. I believe that it's being advertised as a religious / study trip.

Got an email from a TA friend. Cruises start in Sept thru A&K? Never heard of them. Prices starting out around 4200. Wow!! Maybe RCL will be making a stop there soon?!

There are several cruise lines going to Cuba on a regular basis.

But the US still has this goofy law that any cruise line going to Cuba cannot have any of it's ships call at a US port for 6 months.

So RCCL will not be going there until the law changes.

There is another goofy US Law that if a cruise ship sells Cuban Cigars, and one of it's sister ships from the same line calls at a US Port, there is a $1 Million fine from the US Government.

Yeah, I have researched similar before. It is actually not illegal for Americans to go to Cuba, you just can't support their economy. Meaning, you aren't supposed to spend money and you must go as part of a educational, professional, or religious group/purpose. They are walking a fine line...

that's not correct- its an urban legend old wives tale that if you don't spend any money there it isn't a viiolation. It is illegal for a US national to go to Cuba unless its under a general license or a specific license issued by the Office of Foreign Asset Control...its illegal under the trading with the enemy act.

http://www.treasury.gov/resource-center/sanctions/Programs/Documents/cubatrav.pdf

http://www.treasury.gov/resource-center/sanctions/Documents/ccigar2.pdf

they are updating the regs and the brochures but the main rules haven't changed...

that would be enough to stop me! That is miserable!

Well, those are everywhere. DW itched for 2 days after snorkling last weekend here in the Keys.

that's not correct- its an urban legend old wives tale that if you don't spend any money there it isn't a viiolation. It is illegal for a US national to go to Cuba unless its under a general license or a specific license issued by the Office of Foreign Asset Control...its illegal under the trading with the enemy act.

http://www.treasury.gov/resource-center/sanctions/Programs/Documents/cubatrav.pdf

http://www.treasury.gov/resource-center/sanctions/Documents/ccigar2.pdf

they are updating the regs and the brochures but the main rules haven't changed...

I second this. This is sorta an issue I deal with regularly due to my career. Right now, Americans are prohibited except under certain circumstances.

Years ago, (1999?), I stayed at an AI in Jamaica, and some tour reps came around offering a "24-hour junket" to Cuba. Three American ladies that I met went on it. Their plane left at 6 am from Montego Bay to Havana, and left Havana at 6 am the following day. Their Passports were held by the Jamaican tour authorities, (the American ladies were given a special "entry pass" into Cuba) and they had to convert their US dollars to Canadian dollars before they left. They had a whirlwind tour of Havana, including great nightclubs, restaurants, and a beach. They were only allowed to bring a small backpack-type bag, which was hand-screened each way. They couldn't bring back any clearly-marked Cuban souvenirs.

When they got back, they were exhausted and thrilled! Said it was the best trip ever! The tour guides spoke English, nice A/C bus, and they were treated like royalty! They loved it, and said they were told that these short tours for Americans were pretty common. Can't remember the exact cost, but think it was about $200 and a charter plane was used.

Americans are travelling to Cuba all the time - they just have to leave from a Canadian airport and not get their passport stamped in Cuba. Have spoken to quite a few of them enjoying the Cuban sun and rum while I was doing the same thing.

Americans are travelling to Cuba all the time - they just have to leave from a Canadian airport and not get their passport stamped in Cuba. Have spoken to quite a few of them enjoying the Cuban sun and rum while I was doing the same thing.

I know this is done but how do our American cousins arrange health insurance coverage...or don't they worry about it?

There are ways to arrange health insurance for your stay -- it's done when you arrive in Cuba.

The tour companies that are recently operating tours allowing US citizens to go to Cuba are doing so under the legally allowable proviso for educational tours. They all seem to have an approved tour sponsor listed. I doubt anyone will get into any kind of trouble. That said, it is always possible that the US govt will decide to be unreasonable.

A&K is a travel outfit with a stellar reputation. I'm sure they've researched the entire process (and any possible repercussions) very thoroughly. I'm not going to pay those prices, but I'd feel pretty confident going with an operation like them.

Vantage is also offering a trip to Cuba. I believe that it's being advertised as a religious / study trip.

they just sent me info on this very thing! i did look at it, but since i'm not the religious-type, i thought i'd pass. :rolleyes:

Our congregation ran a group tour to Cuba last year or the year before. It was some sort of study group and had approval. We would have liked to go but the dates didn't work for us.

Archived