Cuba Open for US

Silverman

I guess I am the lone dissenter. I really have no interest in Cuba as long as the Castro Brothers are the leaders.

What impact have those toothless brothers had on your life that would make you feel that way?:confused: The only people being hurt by the US policy re Cuba are the Cuban people and we all know why the policy is being kept in place.

I am sitting here imagining the first dates for Cruises to Cuba. Oasis of the Seas, Allure of the Seas, Norwegian Epic, and Neuew Amsterdam all in port at the same time. 25,000 Americans overrunning the country.

I am sitting here imagining the first dates for Cruises to Cuba. Oasis of the Seas, Allure of the Seas, Norwegian Epic, and Neuew Amsterdam all in port at the same time. 25,000 Americans overrunning the country.

That's the exact reason we cruised to Havana last November, before what you describe actually happens.The place will be overrun the same as Cozumel and Grand Cayman was.

I guess I am the lone dissenter. I really have no interest in Cuba as long as the Castro Brothers are the leaders.

I understadd that sentiment but what would have happened in the Soviet Union or in China if we had the same policy there? Its meeting us that made a difference in both of these, yet we never had a policy of prohibiting travel to either of these. Its just a stupid policy that has had no good effect. Its hurt both the US and the Cuban people and has not stopped Cuba one whit.

Yes, you stirred the pot of anticipation. I can't wait for the day when Cuba can become a port of call for US passengers. I would bet, if this happened there would be a flood of passengers booking the ships almost right away. I would be one of them.

Larry

Indeed, this will happen. About 24 hrs after the Castro brothers are dead.

Indeed, this will happen. About 24 hrs after the Castro brothers are dead.

Not necessarily. The influence goes a lot deeper than just the Castro brothers. Cuba's government is huge and a large portion of the Cuban people are connected to the government.

I could be way off base, but I think that if we opened relations with Cuba and abolished the embargo, the U.S. would probably have a bigger influence on government change there, or at least certain policy changes.

Not necessarily. The influence goes a lot deeper than just the Castro brothers. Cuba's government is huge and a large portion of the Cuban people are connected to the government.

I could be way off base, but I think that if we opened relations with Cuba and abolished the embargo, the U.S. would probably have a bigger influence on government change there, or at least certain policy changes.

It's a grudge against the brothers. When they're gone, the door will open and you don't wanta get trampled in the stampede to Cuba.

I agree with you. I don't get the excitement or pride in breaking the law. The whole system is corrupt enough over there, no one is helping the people of Cuba with their illegally spent tour monies...just those who have power.

It's a grudge against the brothers. When they're gone, the door will open and you don't wanta get trampled in the stampede to Cuba.

If both Fidel and Raul were to die today, not much will change. There is a very long line of successors who share their beliefs and would want to carry on their legacy. The Castros are not stupid. They have alligned a very select group of people in the upper government.

There is also a lot of outside influence. Cuba's biggest ally is Hugo Chavez. His influence has no bounds in the Cuban government.

I wish the death of the Castros was the end-all, but it's not even close.

If both Fidel and Raul were to die today, not much will change. There is a very long line of successors who share their beliefs and would want to carry on their legacy. The Castros are not stupid. They have alligned a very select group of people in the upper government.

There is also a lot of outside influence. Cuba's biggest ally is Hugo Chavez. His influence has no bounds in the Cuban government.

I wish the death of the Castros was the end-all, but it's not even close.

The US doesn't have a problem dealing with tyrants, thugs, murderers, hooligans, communists,thieves,fools,****s....well, the list is endless.

The Catsros must have done something VERY specific to engender such a long grudge,doncha think? Think November 1963.

The US doesn't have a problem dealing with tyrants, thugs, murderers, hooligans, communists,thieves,fools,****s....well, the list is endless.

The Catsros must have done something VERY specific to engender such a long grudge,doncha think? Think November 1963.

Actually, the fascist Batista followers who were displaced by Castro's revolution and now control Miami have inflicted the strangle hold on Cuba and caused the limit on American travel freedom. They are also responsible for the Bay of Pigs invasion and the consequent nuclear confrontation with Russia. If you know your history, Batista was not a nice dictator, and what Castro has done for Cuba, even with the sanctions, is probably a step up.

In any event, I will be happy when Cuba is opened for free American travel, and I agree that there will be a crowd of ships in the harbors when that happens. I am also happy that China, Viet Nam, Russia, and the rest of the world don't have ex-patriot politically powerful populations in the US to also limit our freedom of travel to those counties.

• 4 weeks later...
It won't be too long long before the Castros are worm food.

Cuba will be opened up to US travel then.

It isn't that simple. The current travel restrictions are the result of a very small contigent from S. Florida and their representation, not because of a lack of relations between the governments. Without the Miami crowd and Rep. Ileana Ros-Lehtinen fighting for the restrictions, they would have already been lifted.

It isn't that simple. The current travel restrictions are the result of a very small contigent from S. Florida and their representation, not because of a lack of relations between the governments. Without the Miami crowd and Rep. Ileana Ros-Lehtinen fighting for the restrictions, they would have already been lifted.

I don't think that's why the US has an economic embargo on Cuba.

When the brothers are dead, we'll find out if I'm correct.

Archived