Great Viking Flights Offered

Having read absolute horror stories about Viking's flight deals, imagine our surprise when we were offered direct flights from Ottawa to Frankfurt and on to Prague, with similar ones returning from Amsterdam.

Please don't rain on our parade with horror stories of Frankfurt. We're well aware of the challenges to me met there. But that's the hub we've endured a few times but have managed well.

We are going on a 2012 Moscow to St. Petersburg trip. Viking air guarantees pricing if prepaid. It's coach was less than current pricing. It's coach plus was a bit more and its business also a bit more. It is refundable until 90 days pre-cruise so if something better comes along, you cancel and book yourself.

I took the coach plus at $2,000 each. I plan on using miles if possible and flying in business class. Or as a platinum medallion I believe I can pay coach on delta and fly in plus seats.

But Viking has given me insurance. I feel sure rates will be higher next summer. I also will use Viking's pick your own flights option for $100 or so each.

We'll be seated hugging our knees and nodding off on each other's shoulders BUT we love to travel and would rather enjoy many 3* trips than a few luxury ones which is what our budget allows.

KY Roamer, we're considering a Russian River cruise as our next option but this Viking trip is a water tester. We've done river cruises in Egpyt and China but on 'no-name' lines as part of independent travelling. We're ready for a bit more comfort and a bit of 'hand-holding' on tours.

We'll be seated hugging our knees and nodding off on each other's shoulders BUT we love to travel and would rather enjoy many 3* trips than a few luxury ones which is what our budget allows.

KY Roamer, we're considering a Russian River cruise as our next option but this Viking trip is a water tester. We've done river cruises in Egpyt and China but on 'no-name' lines as part of independent travelling. We're ready for a bit more comfort and a bit of 'hand-holding' on tours.

I hope you have a fantastic time, I am sure you will. We scrimp to save money on our vacations too, I'd rather take more "less expensive " ones & do without, than one fancy dancy one.

We scrimp to save money on our vacations too, I'd rather take more "less expensive " ones & do without, than one fancy dancy one.

Excited, it's good to meet a fellow budget cruiser on this site. I suspect we're in the minority, but we have travelled the world and loved every minute. And thanks for your best wishes.

Ruth

Hi New Beginner, congratulations with your air and Viking, it's nice to hear something positive. We also had good luck with flights booked by Viking tho we did do the custom air, we traveled with Viking to China this past May, a fantastic trip in all ways and have another Viking Rhine River cruise this December. I think you'll be very pleased that you've booked with Viking, we were and the China trip was our 1st with them. We too will fly thru Frankfurt on our way to Basel but have gone in & out of Frankfurt many, many times and find it a pretty user friendly airport, yes it's huge but the signage is easy to read so it's not an issue with us at all. Hey, we'll go thru any airport anywhere in order to travel.

Have a great trip.

Susan

The last few times we have taken ocean cruises, we used the cruise line air and have been pleased with the service. I have always had comparable fares and generally non-stop flights which is the beauty of living near an airline hub. It seems as if the cruise lines have gotten their acts together with so many complaints about air. What I like is that it makes for very simple travel and changes are SOMETIMES possible since you're not ticketed until later. We have gotten our choice of seats. What I don't like is that the code fare sometimes cannot be upgraded which is what we have encountered with Ama. We actually did well since Delta cancelled our flight and redirected us through Amsterdam for our Danube cruise which I did not like. We switched flights to a different carrier to fly over non-stop. There were no non-stops back. But, the flight was a few hundred dollars more and Ama picked up the difference. I am starting out with a favorable opinion.

Archived